SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Arctic Blast Disc/Obs February 19-20, 2015

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wildwood (KWWD) is actually an inland sensor at the county airport bottomed out at 5F.  Was hoping to hit 0 but cold nonetheless, especially with that north wind a hawking.  Windchill in negative teens all morning.

Bottomed out at 3°, lowest for year by 3°(6° on Monday). At 7am temp. was 3°, wind NW12G33mph, which produces windchills of -14° & -33°. So nice to be at the areas "mild" spot! For reference KWWD, Cape May County airport is 4m. NNE of my location.

Indoor temp @ work = 62.  Furnace not keeping up running constantly.

My wife would walk out if her workplace temp was that cold!  I have to keep my house at 70 when she is at home in winter (which is a compromise...she really wants it at 72 but 70 is as low as she will tolerate it).  Since I work from home and she doesn't, I bump it down to 63 as soon as she leaves and don't bump it back up until she gets home.  63 is about as cold as I can handle it without feeling uncomfortably chilly.  On sunny days, my heat rarely runs while it is set at 63 - so it does help with my heating bill.

My wife would walk out if her workplace temp was that cold!  I have to keep my house at 70 when she is at home in winter (which is a compromise...she really wants it at 72 but 70 is as low as she will tolerate it).  Since I work from home and she doesn't, I bump it down to 63 as soon as she leaves and don't bump it back up until she gets home.  63 is about as cold as I can handle it without feeling uncomfortably chilly.  On sunny days, my heat rarely runs while it is set at 63 - so it does help with my heating bill.

60 is my bottom w/a flannel on during the day. I "crank it" till it hits 65 before sleep...then set it 55 overnight. Turn it on to 62 to get the chill out in the morning while having coffee/tea which is fine. Thankfully I'm cold blooded and the chill doesn't bother me. And amazing what setting the temp a couple/several degrees lower will do when you see the heating bill. 

60 is my bottom w/a flannel on during the day. I "crank it" till it hits 65 before sleep...then set it 55 overnight. Turn it on to 62 to get the chill out in the morning while having coffee/tea which is fine. Thankfully I'm cold blooded and the chill doesn't bother me. And amazing what setting the temp a couple/several degrees lower will do when you see the heating bill. 

I wish I could stand it colder, but alas I just start getting the chills if the indoor temp is lower than 63 for very long.

But I know so many people who would call me crazy for having the indoor temp at 63 while I am at home during the day.  I'm in between those who need it warm (70+) and those who can stand it 60 or lower.

Back to arctic blast obs...it's all the way up to 5 degrees as of 9:40 AM.

LOL ... my gf is the same way. I like it cool, I keep the temp at 62/63. We have an agreement that I have to raise the temp to 70 when she comes over. Needless to say, I've been spending a lot of time at her house since Jan.

LOL ... my gf is the same way. I like it cool, I keep the temp at 62/63. We have an agreement that I have to raise the temp to 70 when she comes over. Needless to say, I've been spending a lot of time at her house since Jan.

I wish I could stand it colder, but alas I just start getting the chills if the indoor temp is lower than 63 for very long.

But I know so many people who would call me crazy for having the indoor temp at 63 while I am at home during the day.  I'm in between those who need it warm (70+) and those who can stand it 60 or lower.

Back to arctic blast obs...it's all the way up to 5 degrees as of 9:40 AM.

Double wool socks and a sweatshirt / flannel does wonders.

Not to stereotype but females (not all) in general get cold. On the flip side males sweat/heat up more during the warm/hot spells. I'm a puddle some days during the summer just getting in the car...

I think last winter KWWD got to zero, but it was more radiative cooling, with no wind.  This feels much colder with the arctic winds.  May actually be colder tonight if winds lay down.

On a side note, our volunteer FD has answered a few broken pipe and carbon monoxide alarms, however I feel that the brief warmup this Sunday will reveal many more broken pipes in summer homes that are not currently occupied.  It is a shame to see how long the water flows before anyone notices.  In the old days, summer people just drained the houses for the winter.

Not to stereotype but females (not all) in general get cold. On the flip side males sweat/heat up more during the warm/hot spells. I'm a puddle some days during the summer just getting in the car...

I don't think its a stereotype at all, just biology.

In Douglassville the car registered -2F this morning at 7:30 am, very cold in Berks County today. 

Back to the indoor temps, we set our t-stat from 60-62 normally, but turn it up to 68 if it's too cold or there is a draft in the house. Coldest time is right around sunset. I also purchased a ventless gas log for the basement. Propane 100lb was about $65.00 and works well when we're down in that area. Saves on the heating oil, but thankfully prices were down this winter.

It's an unbelievable month, can't wait to see the end result with regard to departures from the norm.

Ray probably covered these temps but these include wind chills.

Keep in mind, the lowest wind chill recorded might have been recorded at a different time than the lowest temperature.

Hackensack: 1 (-19)
Vernon: -3 (-17)
Morristown: 0 (-20)
Somerville: 0 (-14)
Elizabeth: 1 (-18)
Belmar: 0 (-21)
Trenton: 0 (-20)
Toms River: 1 (-22)
Mount Holly: 1 (-17)
Millville: 2 (-18)
Egg Harbor Township: 1 (-19)
Wildwood: 5 (-19)