• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

FFC cautiously optimistic for GA peeps.  We know it's going to be cold, the question is will the moisture if any get here quick enough, still a crap shoot with the models.

Last part of FFC's AFD..

"PER THE WINTER PRECIP FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...TOO
EARLY TO BE PUTTING SNOW AND ICE AMOUNTS...BUT GUIDANCE IS BEING
CONSISTENT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS...STILL
TOO EARLY TO TELL."

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFC HWO

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...
DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS WILL CONTINUE THURSDAY MORNING AND FOR THIS
REASON THE WIND CHILL ADVISORY AND WARNING WILL CONTINUE UNTIL
NOON THURSDAY.

THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR ANOTHER WINTER STORM FRIDAY THROUGH
SATURDAY MORNING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA. AREAS OF SNOW WILL BEGIN
ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA FRIDAY...BECOMING WIDESPREAD FRIDAY EVENING
THEN CHANGING OVER TO FREEZING RAIN LATE FRIDAY NIGHT...THEN
CHANGE TO RAIN BY NOON SATURDAY,. SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF
SNOW AND ICE ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA WITH THIS SYSTEM.
FORECAST ON THIS SYSTEM ARE EXPECTED TO CHANGE AS WE GET CLOSER TO
FRIDAY.

Madness continues. 

Really waiting to see how the cold is handled once it gets into place tonight in tomorrow morning. Will take a hell of a lot of effort to move it out. Could be just slow enough to provide a front end bump of the white stuff!

06Z GFS predicts 4 inches of snow for KHKY before the changeover.  06Z NAM has 8 inches of snow.  I'll be content with either of those solutions.

From GSP:

..SATURDAY...SNOW POSSIBLE. ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO
DEVELOP OVER THE WEEKEND. LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE
POSSIBLE...STARTING FRIDAY NIGHT...BEFORE A TRANSITION TO A MIX
OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN DURING THE DAY...THEN CHANGING TO ALL
RAIN AS TEMPERATURES RISE SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY.

I look at this setup and seems very close to what we just had Monday night. The big difference is there is much colder air in place this go round. We saw how hard it was for the system on Monday for the warm nose to punch through. When every model was calling for ZR we ended up with a sleet monster. I think this one mainly stays as snow for what liquid is there. The million dollar question is how much moisture can we get. NAM is juiciest right now and it always over amplifies QPF at that range.

Yeah agreed. If that HP can trend just a tad stronger I think some could get a decent thump of snow on the front end.

That is one hell of a freakin wedge setting up on the 2m for a whole lot of NC and VA with the .25" line over a majority of said region that is gonna be some nasty ice although I didn't bother to look at soundings yikes!

Edit: yea the heaviest precip has moved significantly north now encompassing my region as well as WV etc.

My guess and just throwing it out there (I think the NAM is too wet) would be that from about GSP to Rock Hill it should stay cold enough at least for the onset for a good dusting to a little over an inch of snow. This is some cold air that is not just going to get pushed out of the way. NAM is probably starting to pick up on that now. 

My guess and just throwing it out there (I think the NAM is too wet) would be that from about GSP to Rock Hill it should stay cold enough at least for the onset for a good dusting to a little over an inch of snow. This is some cold air that is not just going to get pushed out of the way. NAM is probably starting to pick up on that now.

This is what I was getting at the other night where I talked about the nam's superiority when I lived up north. With an airmass like this and the fact it may be in the single digits and teens prior, the nam will be the one to track, whether or not it's qpf production is correct, it's low level resolution on temps have always been stout.

This is what I was getting at the other night where I talked about the nam's superiority when I lived up north. With an airmass like this and the fact it may be in the single digits and teens prior, the nam will be the one to track, whether or not it's qpf production is correct, it's low level resolution on temps have always been stout.

Yea though as we saw from that last air mass even the NAM came in too warm. 

Looks like this run was 3-4 inches for us followed by ZR.

I'm still expecting little, if any, wintry precip for most of the ATL area other than the far N burbs (models have little at best) but am monitoring model trends to see if they reverse. So, any accumulating snow is doubtful right now. It will likely be too dry until it is no longer cold enough for snow. There may be some ZR afterward. Anyone disagree?

I'm still expecting little, if any, wintry precip for most of the ATL area other than the far N burbs (models have little at best) but am monitoring model trends to see if they reverse. So, any accumulating snow is doubtful right now. It will likely be too dry until it is no longer cold enough for snow. There may be some ZR afterward. Anyone disagree?

I agree. This has been my concern for a while now and it seems like each run is drier and drier. I don't even expect the mountains to get very much. Maybe an inch or two but even that might only be along the tn/nc border.

The 12z CMC buries The top 2 rows of counties in Northern GA. Franklin,NC looks to jackpot with close to a foot.

Also, the 48hr RGEM looks to me like it's going setup the axix of precip farther south like the CMC/NAM have been showing.

Edit: While much better for Northern Alabama/GA, this run is much worse for Central/Eastern NC, hardly any precip makes it over that way.

Archived