• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter storm threat 2/21 - 2/22

JCT777

Well...taking an average of the 12z model suite, I'd say Philly and the immediate suburbs are looking at 3 to 5 inches of snow followed by light zr and/or light rain.  Surface temps look to stay below 40 on Sunday (highs in the 34 to 38 range).  Not bad at this point.  Let's hope the next few model runs are pretty close to this.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may end up sheared out to the south. huge shift in 24 hours, though not surprising as it is really following the trend of the winter. Good news is that the heavy rain threat, is pretty much off of the table imo. I think 3-6 inches is a good first guess for the entire area. I don't see this giving more snow than that.

Am I to assume a quick flip to rain for coastal areas as we do poorly in these setups? Thanks.

I think that's a fair assumption at this point for your area. However things keep trending toward more sheared out and further south you may have a chance for a brief period of snow. Those SW winds off the bay should keep you toasty.

I think that's a fair assumption at this point for your area. However things keep trending toward more sheared out and further south you may have a chance for a brief period of snow. Those SW winds off the bat should keep you toasty.

Thanks, I think this is not set in stone yet.  Was hoping to maintain or at least break even with the amount of snow on the ground now through Monday.  Looks doubtful at this point.   I think we all see something nice next week during the reload of cold.  Even an amped up clipper would be good.

Latest Wxsim program for NW Chester County with 18z GFS/NAM blend

Saturday

Light Snow arrives by 1am temp17.7

4pm Moderate Snow temp 20.2 (0.5" snow)

7pm S+ 20.6 (1.6")

10pm S+ 22.6 (3.8")

1am Heavy IP and snow temp 25.5 (5.8" snow/IP)

4am IP/ZR temp 28.1

7am AR 29.3

10am precip winding down temp 31.3 (total liquid equiv 1.05")

Latest Wxsim program for NW Chester County with 18z GFS/NAM blend

Saturday

Light Snow arrives by 1am temp17.7

4pm Moderate Snow temp 20.2 (0.5" snow)

7pm S+ 20.6 (1.6")

10pm S+ 22.6 (3.8")

1am Heavy IP and snow temp 25.5 (5.8" snow/IP)

4am IP/ZR temp 28.1

7am AR 29.3

10am precip winding down temp 31.3 (total liquid equiv 1.05")

I've been following your Wxsim forecasts but don't recall AR before. What does it stand for?

Well, the NAM certainly shows a pretty good snowfall before the changeover.  This may be a good thump and then some rain once it changes over Saturday night.  

Looks like 8 to 10 inches for eastern PA and perhaps just about 6 inches worth over western sections of South Jersey.  Anyway, its the NAM, so let's see how the 00z guidance goes.  

This could very well be a situation where, we get a good thump, but the key here is how fast the precip gets in.  The longer it takes, the more things can warm up.  Its really a race for the precip to get in sooner before things warm up Saturday night.

Early to jump to conclusions but this one might be our area wide big storm of the winter, trending at the right time to thread the old needle?

I think the weaker and further south trend will help... Less precip but I think more snow 4-6+ region wide. May be light rain drizzle at the end. Don't mid those kind of storms. Still not a very confident forecast, just basing it on seasonal trends.

Archived