SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter storm threat 2/21 - 2/22

JCT777

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As often occurs, Middlesex County appears to have contradictions, especially in the northern half of the county.  NWS snowfall map shows 4-6" for my location (and 3-4" for the southern half of the county), point-and-click shows 2-6" and the WWAdvisory says 1-3".  And just to my west in Somerset County, their WWAdvisory says 2-5", while to my north and east the Upton WWA says 1-5".  Sigh - they really need to try to minimize these discrepancies, especially between the maps and the advisories, which are what most people look at.  Here are the maps, which I haven't seen posted yet...

StormTotalSnowRange.png

StormTotalSnowRange.png

Warnings expanded Southeastward to include I-95

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ1011 AM EST SAT FEB 21 2015...A BURST OF HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED OVER PORTIONS OF THENORTHERN MID ATLANTIC THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING...DEZ001-MDZ012-PAZ070-071-104-106-212315-/O.UPG.KPHI.WW.Y.0015.150221T1700Z-150222T0600Z//O.EXB.KPHI.WS.W.0005.150221T1700Z-150222T0600Z/NEW CASTLE-KENT MD-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-EASTERN MONTGOMERY-LOWER BUCKS-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...CHESTERTOWN...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA...NORRISTOWN...LANSDALE...MORRISVILLE...DOYLESTOWN1011 AM EST SAT FEB 21 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST SUNDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WARNING FOR...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST SUNDAY. THEWINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF NORTHERN DELAWARE...EASTERN MARYLAND AND  SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG  WITH AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...BRIEFLY CHANGING TO SOME SLEET AND  FREEZING RAIN.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES.

Recent update frm Mt Holly:

WE ARE EXPANDING THE WINTER STORM WARNING A SLICE FARTHER TO THE

SOUTHEAST. LOOKING AT 12Z SOUNDINGS VS MODEL PROJECTIONS, IF

ANYTHING MODELING ERRORS ARE TOO WARM. THE NAM VERIFIED THE BEST

WITH THE QPF PROJECTIONS THRU 12Z AND ITS WETTEST, DRIEST ECMWF

VERIFIED THE POOREST. LATEST NAM/RAP/HRRR ARE EITHER SNOWIER OR

SLOWER TO BRING TEMPS ABOVE FREEZING. SO IN THAT NEW WARNING

SLICE, IF WE ARE TOO HEAVY WITH THE SNOW, CHANCES ARE WE MAY BE

TOO LIGHT ON THE ICE.

THIS ALSO BRINGS THE GRADIENT UNCERTAINTY TO THE I295 CORRIDOR IN

SWRN NJ. WE WILL SEE WHAT ALL OF THE 12Z MODELS SHOW BEFORE

DECIDING IF A FURTHER SEWD EXPANSION IS NEEDED THERE TOO.

Recent update frm Mt Holly:

WE ARE EXPANDING THE WINTER STORM WARNING A SLICE FARTHER TO THE

SOUTHEAST. LOOKING AT 12Z SOUNDINGS VS MODEL PROJECTIONS, IF

ANYTHING MODELING ERRORS ARE TOO WARM. THE NAM VERIFIED THE BEST

WITH THE QPF PROJECTIONS THRU 12Z AND ITS WETTEST, DRIEST ECMWF

VERIFIED THE POOREST. LATEST NAM/RAP/HRRR ARE EITHER SNOWIER OR

SLOWER TO BRING TEMPS ABOVE FREEZING. SO IN THAT NEW WARNING

SLICE, IF WE ARE TOO HEAVY WITH THE SNOW, CHANCES ARE WE MAY BE

TOO LIGHT ON THE ICE.

THIS ALSO BRINGS THE GRADIENT UNCERTAINTY TO THE I295 CORRIDOR IN

SWRN NJ. WE WILL SEE WHAT ALL OF THE 12Z MODELS SHOW BEFORE

DECIDING IF A FURTHER SEWD EXPANSION IS NEEDED THERE TOO.

and GFS goes way warm at 12z.  go figure. 

Glad to see in this storm NAM verifying best and Euro poorest

This event hasn't started/ended yet and we don't know the outcome but the friggin Euro has been horrible this winter. NAM has been doing quite well so the "it's the NAM" thought process should go away....at least for now.

Moving in fast and it appears to be a "wall"...no light stuff for a while. Once it starts, it picks up quickly. 23.5F....

post-513-0-90107600-1424534929_thumb.jpg

This event hasn't started/ended yet and we don't know the outcome but the friggin Euro has been horrible this winter. NAM has been doing quite well so the "it's the NAM" thought process should go away....at least for now.

Moving in fast and it appears to be a "wall"...no light stuff for a while. Once it starts, it picks up quickly. 23.5F....

When these warm air advecting thump events happen this is exactly what you need and is always unpredictable. Appears to be going in the right direction this time.

When these warm air advecting thump events happen this is exactly what you need and is always unpredictable. Appears to be going in the right direction this time.

On my doorstep...we'll see what happens. One thing I noticed while out this morning were the winds a tad more gusty than I expected. Not howling but some nice gust...

Archived