Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Do You Like Ice Storms (Frz Rain)?

griteater

Do you like Ice Storms (Frz Rain)?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Ice Storms (Frz Rain)?

• No
    • I'm OK with light icing, but not the big ones
    • I like 'em all, even the biggies

So far, only 15% of the board are killsjoys when it comes to freezing rain.  The rest of us at least like a bit of it.  And over 60% of us are okay with the Armageddon scenario of no power for a week.  That's the adventurous spirit I was hoping to find here amongst my SE brethren.  :D

BTW, we need a freezing rain emoticon of some sort.

I like ice.  The more the merrier. 

Snow is my first choice of course.  Two inches of ice, or two feet of wet snow.  Both would put the lights out in this part of the country, but who on this board would pull against a epic snowfall regardless of the impact

Despise sleet.  Robs one of snow accumulation, and really ticks me off when it takes what could be a crippling ice storm but is instead a couple inches or so inches of useless  pellets.

Only Wild Weather I do not like is tornado's.  I've lived thru, and chased canes, but tornados are killers even if precautions are taken.

So far, only 15% of the board are killsjoys when it comes to freezing rain.  The rest of us at least like a bit of it.  And over 60% of us are okay with the Armageddon scenario of no power for a week.  That's the adventurous spirit I was hoping to find here amongst my SE brethren.  :D

One year ago today I was in my third of 6 days without power.  Screw that.  Hard.

None of you young-ins have seen a storm of this magnitude that Atlanta had in 1973, I remember it like it was yesterday, it was not fun at all....Could this be another 1973 for Atl? We are way overdue for a monster like this..

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/us/atlanta-1973-ice-storm/

Actually that sounds exactly like the storm last year. So yeah, I'll pass every time.

But I may be the only one to post who lived thru Atl in 73.  Ask 100 people who live through that, and let's see what the vote is, lol.  Pray you never see a truly bad one.  An inch or an inch and a half is just nuisance ice, but it would scare the pants off most people. 73 was twice that in some places.  Seeing Peachtree street in Buckhead completely covered in downed trees, broken phone poles, with transformers exploding, and the wires popping every were, as far as the eye could see, I mean everywhere, was interesting, and pretty, but I hope I never see the like again, lol.  Once was more than enough. Unless you thrive on carnage and destruction.  Losing power is like boy, and girl scouts camping, and no biggie. You might have to wear a coat, and eat dry dog food, lol.  That's the least of it, and if you live in the middle of a field, you're good too....but, if you have trees....... different deal. Atlanta has trees.   T

• 7 months later...

I like all storms. Ice storms can be very beautiful.

That said, I personally have not had a huge impact from any ice or frozen rain storms (yet).  So I'd probably change my opinion if I went a week without power and heat.

We were very close last year.  Dawson county got nailed.   That said, I like them all.   I'll take a quarter inch of ZR over rain any day.

Ice storms are stressful at work so I voted no; otherwise, I would have voted light since it is pretty. On days you can get sunshine while ice is still on trees, it is a spectacular treat. Still, the day before was probably stressful at work, lol.

Here is a detailed rank of weather for me:

1. Snow in the South - very special

2. Tornado chasing - never being chased

3. Hail, medium size - exciting but not damaging

4. Snow in the North - more routine

5. Sleet, with the hope of lightning

6. Straight line thunderstorm wind esp with good shelfie

7. Warm Sunshine

8. Dust storm - interesting but annoying

9. Heavy hoar frost or rime icing is pretty.

10. Freezing rain can be pretty.

Worst weather:

Flooding impacts too many lives too much.

Low overcast is depressing with no precip.