joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow potential Saturday night 2/14-15/2015

famartin

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've heard of Alberta Clippers, Manitoba Maulers, and Saskatchewan Screamers (maybe), but I for one had never heard of an "Ontario Scary-o", which may be the appropriate clipper name variation for this one. I'm not making this up, lol. From Wikipedia:

post-9898-0-40725400-1423857226_thumb.jp

ETA: Actually I'm not sure if it can be technically called a clipper, but it seems possible.

You've heard of Alberta Clippers, Manitoba Maulers, and Saskatchewan Screamers (maybe), but I for one had never heard of an "Ontario Scary-o", which may be the appropriate clipper name variation for this one. I'm not making this up, lol. From Wikipedia:

attachicon.gifclipper-variations-from-wikipedia-2-13-15.jpg

ETA: Actually I'm not sure if it can be technically called a clipper, but it seems possible.

Would love to see a GOMEX Growler :snowing:

Kinda anxious for this storm. We had a much smaller version of this last week I believe, early in the week. I don't think we even got an inch of snow, but the winds we got brought some white out conditions and snow covered main roads. Tomorrow is looking like the big boy version of the first. A few inches of snow it's going to get very interesting  :popcorn:

So are any mets (or anyone else) aware of any past events similar to this one upcoming tomorrow? It seems relatively rare.

I remember back in the early 80s a cold front clipper that produced heavy grapple (auto correct spelling) and sleet to brief heavy snow instant 1-2" lightning thunder and 45 mph winds I want to say this was 1983 then 2 days later 22" of snow I think I was 8 so could be off now 40

So...these winds...are they really going to be as bad as predicted? Maybe that is a bigger deal than the snow?

If you believe the 12Z Euro maps, we're over tropical storm force wind at times.

From MT Holly AFD

ALTHOUGH ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE ONLY A

FEW INCHES TOTAL FOR MUCH OF THE REGION, A HIGH IMPACT EVENT COULD

OCCUR STARTING LATE AFTERNOON AS SNOW IS COUPLED WITH WIND AND

COLD.

May be we're looking at -20 to -25 wind chills?

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=us&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2015021312&fh=48&xpos=0&ypos=255

If you believe the 12Z Euro maps, we're over tropical storm force wind at times.

From MT Holly AFD

ALTHOUGH ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE ONLY A

FEW INCHES TOTAL FOR MUCH OF THE REGION, A HIGH IMPACT EVENT COULD

OCCUR STARTING LATE AFTERNOON AS SNOW IS COUPLED WITH WIND AND

COLD.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=us&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2015021312&fh=48&xpos=0&ypos=255

18z GFS has gusts in the 50-60 MPH range at 10m south jersey. 40-50 MPH gusts region wide. 

Still don't think this is a track/setup that lays down more than 1-2" for almost all of us outside the BENNY region. Even if you get good snow growth, flakes are going to get destroyed on the way down by these winds! I think 12:1 is the best we see outside of those in the Norlun.

If I get to see a clap of thunder and lightning, it will be all good for me.  I couldn't get my generator to crank tonight though, so I hope the winds stay on the low side of what is foretasted.

Found it odd that Mt. Holly has WW Advisories, which show 3-5" for Monmouth, Middlesex, Somerset, Morris and Sussex, but only 1-3" for Warren, Hunterdon, Mercer and the rest of South Jersey (NYC-NWS has 3-7" for Union, Essex, Hudson, Bergen and Passaic).  The snowfall map, however, shows a general 2-4" south of 78/north of 195 and 4-6" north of 78, both east and west.  I get having the advisories up even if the 3" criterion isn't met in many places, due to the high impact, but I think they need to update one or the other. 

Wind will not be that big of a factor during the heaviest snow band for most areas to west....wind kicks in after the convective band for the most part....if modeling is correct

Still don't think this is a track/setup that lays down more than 1-2" for almost all of us outside the BENNY region. Even if you get good snow growth, flakes are going to get destroyed on the way down by these winds! I think 12:1 is the best we see outside of those in the Norlun.

Latest Wxsim for the NW Philly burbs (15:1 ratio for Sat/Sun and 12:1 for Tues/Wed)

Saturday 1pm Light snow temp 20.9

4pm Mod snow temp 20.5 (1.1")

7pm Mod Snow temp 18.7 (1.5")

10pm Light Snow temp 17.2 (2.3")

2am snow ending temp 14.0 (2.7")

Tuesday

7pm Mod Snow temp 23.1 (0.8")

10pm Heavy Snow temp 21.4 (2.8")

1am Heavy Snow temp 21.2 (5.2")

7am snow ending temp 21.2 (6.5")

Here is my write-up on this. 

LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE TOWARD THE REGION THROUGHOUT THE DAY. SOUTHERLY AND SOUTHWESTERLY

WINDS WILL BE ON THE INCREASE THROUGHOUT THE DAY, LAV GUIDANCE AND
SOUNDING ANALYSIS SHOW THE POTENTIAL FOR GUSTS AROUND 25 MPH BY DAYS
END. SIMILAR TO THE LAST FRONT, THERE IS THE CHANCE OF A QUICK
TEMPERATURE INCREASE IMMEDIATELY AHEAD OF THE FRONT. 850 AND 925 MB
TEMPERATURES ARE COOLER THIS GO AROUND. HOWEVER, DID GO A FEW
DEGREES WARMER THAN MAV AND MET GUIDANCE FOR THIS POSSIBILITY.
GENERAL MODEL TIMING HAS LIGHT SNOW DEVELOPING IN THE WESTERN ZONES
BY EARLY AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL SPREAD SOUTHEAST BY EVENING. THE
HIGHEST QPF DURING THE DAY LOOKS TO BE AROUND .1 ACROSS THE WESTERN
PARTS OF THE CWA WHICH MAY YIELD 1-1.5 INCHES OF SNOW WITH AMOUNTS
LOWERING WITH LATER TIMING FURTHER EAST.

IN TERMS OF PRECIPITATION TYPE, PRETTY MUCH ALL SNOW WITH THE
EXCEPTION OF THE SOUTHERN DELMARVA WHICH MAY SEE HIGHS IN THE LOWER
40`S. DYNAMIC COOLING SHOULD ALLOW FOR QUICK ENOUGH TEMPERATURE
REDUCTIONS TO SUPPORT SNOW AFTER A BRIEF MIX WITH RAIN ACROSS THE
DELMARVA. MESOSCALE MODELING HAS HINTS OF A CONVECTIVE SNOW SQUALL
LINE FORMING BY LATE AFTERNOON. TT ARE VERY HIGH COUPLED WITH STEEP
MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES BOTH OF THESE PROMOTE POTENTIAL CONVECTIVE
SNOW SQUALLS WITHIN THE AREA OF SNOW. A FEW RUMBLES OF THUNDER ARE
NOT OUT OF QUESTION EITHER IN THE HEAVIER BURSTS OF SNOW, COUPLED
WITH THE INCREASING WINDS MAY REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO UNDER A MILE AT
TIMES. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY HAS BEEN ISSUED FROM 18Z SATURDAY
INTO A GOOD PORTION OF SUNDAY FOR THIS SNOW EVENT EXCEPT FOR THE