SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

bluewave

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

They did manage to come up with 78.4" in 1947-48.  That must have been the year they didn't go to Florida for the winter.  I'll PM you the whole dataset.

Thank you Ed...just brought it in.

Guest Pamela

They did manage to come up with 78.4" in 1947-48.  That must have been the year they didn't go to Florida for the winter.  I'll PM you the whole dataset.

Ed, I realized there were some gaps in the record...but the fact that they failed to measure the four feet that fell on every Halloween for 10 years running (that Georgie told us about!) is deeply disturbing...

Ed, I realized there were some gaps in the record...but the fact that they failed to measure the four feet that fell on every Halloween for 10 years running (that Georgie told us about!) is deeply disturbing...

Fortunately Georgie's love of winter weather was inherited by his grandson, Mikehobbyist.

On the ground for sure more then 8". I would assume allot of it is old snow. Personally I would rather have experienced the hurricane of 38 then feb 1934 as my all time weather event I would have wanted to experience.

Cool picture.Is that looking east?

Cool picture.Is that looking east?

Yes.  If the current day florist is where the liquor store was, then that is definitely looking east. 

Immediately to the right of the photographer is where the Branch Shopping Center is currently located. 

The First Presbyterian Church (still there) is hidden back from the road somewhere beyond the tall spruce trees on the left and just beyond that would be the old Rt 111.  The old route 111 was located just to the east of the current route and parts of it (including remnant old pavement) can still be found along a short section of the Greenbelt Trail just off of Mt Pleasant Rd.

Here is almost the same spot looking east more recently:

post-290-0-41646600-1426005113_thumb.jpg

An amazing 23.9 finish for NYC at -11.4 for third coldest February on record.

This was also the greatest negative monthly temperature departure recorded at Central Park.

23.9....2015...-11.4

Greatest negative monthly temperature departures in NYC

Feb 34.....19.9....est..-10.9

Jan 77......22.1..........-10.1

Dec 89.....25.9..........-10.3

http://www1.ncdc.noa...8D6223307C0.pdf

http://www1.ncdc.noa...737D3EB45CA.pdf

Amazing! Some thought this could never happen

Archived