Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I'm at work and I don't have the actual early info like most on here

The NCEP site and several third-party sites release graphics just as fast as (if not faster than) any subscription you'll find. If for some reason your workplace allows you to spend time on an internet forum, you can certainly go to weather.cod.edu or tropicaltidbits.com.

That said, most professional forecasters don't sit at their computers and watch every model roll out in real time, so you and I definitely don't need "early" data.

and most models I can read but specifics are much harder for me.

99% of all "pbp" posts are vague interpretations of the most basic parameters, namely QPF, surface temps, and 500 mb heights. If by "specifics" you mean the snow forecast for your house, then I'm not sure why you wouldn't look for yourself and avoid the grief of trying to glean information from between the lines of other (often self-contradicting) interpretations.

If we lived almost anywhere else in North America, nobody would notice 50-mile discrepancies between model analyses... we're just unlucky enough to live where virtually infinitesimal differences can change how (un)favorably a significant portion of the subforum view a model run.

We need to split the forum. Send NYC and LI on there own and merge the rest of NJ and the LHV with Philly.

These posts need to be saved for remembrance in five days.

You can see where this is all headed. It's going to cut off and we're going to end up with the initial overrunning and the coastal.

Can we stop with all of the garbage posts about the trend North and the high being weaker...blah, blah, blah.

The vort was more amplfied so it was able to dig more which caused the heights to rise ahead of it and slowed everything down. When that happens you're always going to warm the mid-levels unless some type of coastal can take over and flip winds back out of the northeast.

The changes at H5 were huge. When you compare the day 4 panels to the 00z run it doesn't even look like the same model.

We're probably two days minimum away from having the final solution.

i disagree... This is a weather forum and for less experienced like myself I really find the pbp to be a learning tool...

PBP was never a learning tool here.

Four/five years ago we had real meteorologists doing play-by-plays and not some teenager on his school laptop. It was meant to diagnose run to run differences and help those who did not have access to the paid maps that everyone and their grandma now has. 

Ah, thanks, just making sure, since I'm usually the one doing it these days.

I think we need a thread dedicated to Euro PBP where only the few of us that are qualified can post.

There should be a thread that uses the Stormtrack "method", where only reputable members are allowed to post information and everyone can watch it all play out. No clutter, no confusion, and no BS. 

When I'm at work and cant be near a computer I read these threads on tapatalk (and usually the PBP from Iso) to see how thing are progressing. To see five different opinions and a ton of arguing leaves me with no information. 

Drama Queen came into the office this morning with an exasperated "I cant take any more of this snow". How quickly people forget that we were essentially shutout until 10 days ago.

I've heard the same thing, the vast majority of this winter was snowless. But I have grown tired of it though, I generally prefer to have a couple of small (3-6") events as opposed to a single 15-25" storm that takes a while to melt.

There should be a thread that uses the Stormtrack "method", where only reputable members are allowed to post information and everyone can watch it all play out. No clutter, no confusion, and no BS. 

When I'm at work and cant be near a computer I read these threads on tapatalk (and usually the PBP from Iso) to see how thing are progressing. To see five different opinions and a ton of arguing leaves me with no information. 

People that have a little bit of knowledge are the worst. Now we have to sit through numerous posts about 850mb temps near Chicago, the lack of a -NAO and weak high pressure. Oh and lets not forget the sun angle comments that started yesterday.

If the pattern slows down enough and we can get more consolidated energy in the base of the trough it's going be a huge game changer. Today's Euro was a big step towards that solution.

Ah, thanks, just making sure, since I'm usually the one doing it these days.

I think we need a thread dedicated to Euro PBP where only the few of us that are qualified can post.

And who would that be?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told that the cause of the latent heat release was due to friction.

I'm really not feeling this one for the immediate coast. I like to go with patterns based on what just happened. If it weren't for the surprise 4" powder band at the end it wasn't much of a storm 2.5" over to rain that nearly washed all the 2.5" away. You can really see the difference here in upper Manhattan. There is one hell of an ice crust over 4" of snow (only including the last storm). We have nothing of the sort on the south shore. We are already above our seasonal average so it hasn't been a total failure of a winter but I really think this one isn't for us. Inland guys enjoy seeing snow to Memorial Day (to quote that dude from last winter)

I'm inclined to stick a fork in it now. With the exception of the blizzard that wasn't, this winter has been very disappointing. For us to get a big storm, it seems the models would have to show snow in Florida five days out.

Well not to "beat a dead horse" SO FAR THIS WINTER "many experts are right" without "TRUE BLOCKING" in place tough to get a good snowstorm. As of now Bronx around 25 inches of snow for season NYC just under that...if we get 10 more inches for the season so be it..Guess we all GOT spoiled with 40++ winters NYC... STILL at least 3 weeks of good snow chances for NYC/Coast  in my mind, because YES we can get snow in MARCH but much rather snow NOW..

Archived