SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though the members here find a way to argue about various models, 5 days out from a potential storm, I'm sure glad to be tracking something. We shouldn't forget how downright boring December was around these parts.

I felt the 1st half of Jan was even worse.  Dec had no cold air anywhere so it was rain all the way.  Jan 1-15 had the cold, but it found a way to warm up and rain every time.

utter meltdown ongoing in the mid atlantic forum.

No -NAO has sunk winter down there IMO.  We can get away with it NYC and north, but down there it's almost a necessity to get the big goods delivered.   Sucks, I feel for them, having lived down there for many years in my childhood. Numerous snow forecasts that verified as rain or a quick change to rain or nothing at all.  Long live 09-10 down there.

I posted in the MA forum a ton last year since it was closer to my University and they were all good people with some excellent information. Thankfully with my new job (can't talk about it lol) and school I'm pretty much in both now. 

If we didn't have the lucky stretch of storms we've received in the past few weeks, I garuntee you that our forum would look even worse

Sent from my Motorola Razar

This is exactly why snow packs never last on the south shore. Even though it's only 40 the wind is just eating snow. We lost the entire 4" of powder from the end of the last storm. The snow below that is very stable thought and it would take a mega torch to kill all of it

Wow you lost it all??

I went for a 5 mile run in Central Park this morning at 7 AM. Just beautiful. 

I would take days and days more of this weather - temps near 30s in the morning with the roads clear and a deep snowpack. I always hated winter running in the past but it was just the best.

Except that I'm battling a hip injury and will likely be sidelined again for a while, so bring on days and days of snow/sleet and temps in the teens,

utter meltdown ongoing in the mid atlantic forum.

Climo FTW? I seriously think I would find a new hobby if I ever had to move to that area. Heartbreak city.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/02/05/its-increasingly-difficult-to-get-snow-in-d-c/

From the article, "In February, the trend is quite obvious when examining the frequency of months that get less than one inch. From 1894-1923 it happened four times. In the most recent 30 years it happened 14 times, and the upward movement has been basically continuous. Removing the extreme outliers of 2003 (28.7″) and 2010 (32.1″), February would currently average about three inches of snow compared to an actual almost twice that."

Archived