SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
State of the snowpack

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down at jones beach right now and there is very little snow. The only real snow is drifts left over from the blizzard. These onshore winds are like our equivalent of chinook winds on the high plains. I have noticed over the years the difference between long beach and the southern stet can be drastic and this is exactly why. Last year was incredible with mega pack on the north shore and a third on the south shore

Another overlooked reason for the quick melting on the S. Shore v the N. Shore is that the S. Shore has far more exposure to the sun; the N. Shore towns (or many of them) are wooded & hilly...the sun can't hit the snow if a hill is in the way...especially if you are on the slope of a hill facing north...plus if an area is heavily wooded...even w/o leaves on the trees...the snow field won't be as quick to sublimate.  This is probably more overlooked than things like actual amount of snow & rain.

Another overlooked reason for the quick melting on the S. Shore v the N. Shore is that the S. Shore has far more exposure to the sun; the N. Shore towns (or many of them) are wooded & hilly...the sun can't hit the snow if a hill is in the way...especially if you are on the slope of a hill facing north...plus if an area is heavily wooded...even w/o leaves on the trees...the snow field won't be as quick to sublimate. This is probably more overlooked than things like actual amount of snow & rain.

I still have plenty of snow. This seems more like a barrier island or south of Merrick Rd issue right now. But overall I completely agree with your post...there's no denying that this happens most times.

If you haven't been to a beach in a blizzard you should try it.  Locally, I am partial to the Kings Park bluffs on the ns.  The wind really howls.  That may be part of why Jones Beach is bare except for the drifts.  It might have been that way since during the blizzard.

Also with the N to NE wind direction, a lot of blowing snow just winds up in the ocean.  There is no snow blowing in on the north side of the barrier island (unless the bay is frozen in which case it can really pile up), so the net is a lot of the snow falling on the barrier island winds up in the ocean.

I'd bet those drifts are stained with sand.

If you haven't been to a beach in a blizzard you should try it. Locally, I am partial to the Kings Park bluffs on the ns. The wind really howls. That may be part of why Jones Beach is bare except for the drifts. It might have been that way since during the blizzard.

True dat. I spent the Blizzard of 2005 on the South Shore of Massachusetts which was perhaps the most sublime weather event of my life. 30" of snow (although truthfully it was nearly impossible to measure), 70 mph gusts, biting cold... An out of body experience for a snow weenie.

If you haven't been to a beach in a blizzard you should try it. Locally, I am partial to the Kings Park bluffs on the ns. The wind really howls. That may be part of why Jones Beach is bare except for the drifts. It might have been that way since during the blizzard.

Also with the N to NE wind direction, a lot of blowing snow just winds up in the ocean. There is no snow blowing in on the north side of the barrier island (unless the bay is frozen in which case it can really pile up), so the net is a lot of the snow falling on the barrier island winds up in the ocean.

You're wisdom is shown by your years. You are exactly correct. The snow that is left is covered in darker colored sand aka garnet and other dark minerals as their higher density gets them stuck in higher winds when the lighter quartz (and color) just blows away. And of course in north winds in a completely exposed area just blows a ton of snow into the ocean.

I will say the drifts were disappointing compared to Boxing Day. After that storm the drifts were easily 6-8 foot in the north sides of the two giant parking lots field 4 and 5 this time more like 3 feet

If you haven't been to a beach in a blizzard you should try it.  Locally, I am partial to the Kings Park bluffs on the ns.  The wind really howls.  That may be part of why Jones Beach is bare except for the drifts.  It might have been that way since during the blizzard.

Also with the N to NE wind direction, a lot of blowing snow just winds up in the ocean.  There is no snow blowing in on the north side of the barrier island (unless the bay is frozen in which case it can really pile up), so the net is a lot of the snow falling on the barrier island winds up in the ocean.

I walked to the LB Boardwalk on Boxing Day-an insane experience. 

Another overlooked reason for the quick melting on the S. Shore v the N. Shore is that the S. Shore has far more exposure to the sun; the N. Shore towns (or many of them) are wooded & hilly...the sun can't hit the snow if a hill is in the way...especially if you are on the slope of a hill facing north...plus if an area is heavily wooded...even w/o leaves on the trees...the snow field won't be as quick to sublimate. This is probably more overlooked than things like actual amount of snow & rain.

My pack ending up taking a pretty big hit today.

The snow pack in upper manhattan has this thick layer of ice on it that's going to take a major thaw to melt. If we were to get a high ratio snow over and some wind it would drift like crazy. To bad that's not gonna happen.

Out here it has compacted down to 6" of cement.

If this next storm is some snow to start with lots of sleet and ZR to finish, it'll add a nice 2" or so of cement. Hopefully that's how it works out. 

Cement.. Snow pack..Ice..you people are sickos. This stuff is dangerous and and ugly (brown and black from cars) not to mention it's getting dangerous at intersections because you're beloved snow packs are getting too high. So yes, bring on the 40 degree temps and melt some of this away.

Yawn. It's still white here. I don't see how the snow pack makes an intersection that dangerous...and it's not high enough to obstruct anyone's view of traffic.

Cement.. Snow pack..Ice..you people are sickos. This stuff is dangerous and and ugly (brown and black from cars) not to mention it's getting dangerous at intersections because you're beloved snow packs are getting too high. So yes, bring on the 40 degree temps and melt some of this away.

We will cease snow depth observations immediately to avoid any further offending of your sensibilities.

Today was the 13th consecutive day here with snow depth of at least a foot.

Yikes. No grass here.

Yeah yeah, I can see the difference between my place close to the bay and my GF's place in north wantagh already. Remember my  story of getting sent home from school during one of the feb 94 storms because it was ripping snow in north wantagh and raining by the time we got to the bay. 3 miles + a whole other world. 

Archived