• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
State of the snowpack

Zelocita Weather

Should be able to make it through at least Wednesday, so that'd be 37 days for Central Park. Very impressive.

Their deepest pack is occurring in the last week of February, also probably a unique occurrence. 11" depth yesterday.

Just one positive daily temperature departure since 1/26 is a remarkable achievement in this era.

1/26-2/29/12 only had one day with a daily temperature departure below normal with all the rest

above. The sharp swing over just 3 years almost reminds me of the January 32 record warm

Feb 34 cold couplet. Both records still stand as the warmest Jan and coldest month in NYC.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is actually an old piece of moulding zip-tied to an iron rod that is driven into the ground.

I need to get more elaborate....this one is hard to read from inside.  I think I should get extra points for optimism...the stake goes up to 54"  :)

Yeah, that's pretty optimistic, LOL.  I drive a wooden stake into the ground and then screw a yard stick to it.  I've been doing it this way for a few years now and experimenting with different ways to mark up the yard stick to make readings more visible from a distance.  This year I found some multi-colored electrical tape I had laying around and placed a piece of varying colors at 6" increments.  Its worked out well but I do have a bit of an issue, as we get later into the season the yardstick warms up with the stronger sun causing the snow to melt a little around it.  As a result I may be low balling my measurements just a bit.    

Yeah, that's pretty optimistic, LOL.  I drive a wooden stake into the ground and then screw a yard stick to it.  I've been doing it this way for a few years now and experimenting with different ways to mark up the yard stick to make readings more visible from a distance.  This year I found some multi-colored electrical tape I had laying around and placed a piece of varying colors at 6" increments.  Its worked out well but I do have a bit of an issue, as we get later into the season the yardstick warms up with the stronger sun causing the snow to melt a little around it.  As a result I may be low balling my measurements just a bit.    

I find the same with the snow melting around the stake.  I have second stake that isn't painted and is worse.  If I lay a long enough straight edge on the snow surface spanning the gap right in front of the stake, it shows that the actual snow level is an inch or two higher.

I find the same with the snow melting around the stake.  I have second stake that isn't painted and is worse.  If I lay a long enough straight edge on the snow surface spanning the gap right in front of the stake, it shows that the actual snow level is an inch or two higher.

Ha, I have a second stake too in another part of the yard, the sunny southside of the yard, so that one really loses the snow.  That stake doubles as a holder for my manual rain gauge that I use as a backup, its a 2x2 I drove into the ground and painted a 6" band every 6". 

Guest Pamela

March 2010 snowpack esp in coastal areas was short lived. Unc will have stats probably but I'd imagine that by the 5th snowpack in nyc was gone

I'm pretty sure that was March 2009.  March 2010 was hot & snowless.

Guest Pamela

They currently have 38" of snow on  the ground at the Great Blue Hill Observatory in Milton, Massachusetts.  For those unfamiliar with the station; this is not anything similar to Mt Washington...it is a small weather station on top of a 628 foot hill about 8 miles SSW of Logan Airport (Boston).  The greatest snow depth they have had this winter was achieved back in mid February...when a depth of 45 inches was measured.  Record keeping on top of the hill has been going on for a very long time. 

Archived