• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Gotta think that the low is going to track along the front which has now sagged South of NYC. I just don't see how in such a short time that fresh push of cold is going to be nudged very far northward from wherever it goes stationary (either central or S. Jersey)

I've thought the same thing several times sitting in ALB with H85 temps starting around -5C only to get pinged on 3 hours later. It's definitely gonna be a nowcast event but a warm nose in the 850-700 mb layer is always tricky.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought the same thing several times sitting in ALB with H85 temps starting around -5C only to get pinged on 3 hours later. It's definitely gonna be a nowcast event but a warm nose in the 850-700 mb layer is always tricky.

No, I get that. WAA almost always gets further North than modeled. But if you could have drawn a map and put a cold High where you wanted it to be at this time frame, it pretty much is there. The front is still sagging South, so the cold is not retreating, but pushing. If the High was heading across Maine now and the flow was turning East then South, I'd expect the worst regardless of the forecast. In this setup, during the coldest time of the year, odds would favor a bust to the colder side. I'm actually confident it turns out mostly snow North of a line from Mt Pocono to White Plains. We'll see I guess.

No, I get that. WAA almost always gets further North than modeled. But if you could have drawn a map and put a cold High where you wanted it to be at this time frame, it pretty much is there. The front is still sagging South, so the cold is not retreating, but pushing. If the High was heading across Maine now and the flow was turning East then South, I'd expect the worst regardless of the forecast. In this setup, during the coldest time of the year, odds would favor a bust to the colder side. I'm actually confident it turns out mostly snow North of a line from Mt Pocono to White Plains. We'll see I guess.

Yeah definitely, the lower levels favor a bust on the colder side.. the mid-level centers are just progged so far north that it might not matter. If the confluent jet entrance region to the north was displaced 50-100 miles south this would probably be all snow from NYC north.

As much as I don't like the NAM, it makes sense with whats going on. It wants to redevelop the low in SE PA/ S NJ along or just South of where the sagging BD front winds up. The low is not going to cross the mountains and the redevelopment isn't going to be on the cold side of the E-W front. Don't know about timing or QPF accuracy, but I like how the NAM develops the secondary.

18z Rgem has 25-30mm of snow stretching from Port Jervis through Middletown up to New Paltz then across the river north of poughkeepsie. 30-40mm of snow confined to the Catskills.

Overall its 8-12" for our region. 

When you say our region, are you getting into the "we" terminology. lol

What is it printing out in my area

18z Rgem has 25-30mm of snow stretching from Port Jervis through Middletown up to New Paltz then across the river north of poughkeepsie. 30-40mm of snow confined to the Catskills.

Overall its 8-12" for our region.

The first part of the storm you guys are gona rip closer to 12 to 1. There is a lot of forcing on the front and you are minus 12 at 850

Only the back do you decrease ur ratios.

Archived