• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Yea....on clear winter nights, with snow cover...you can do really well up there

Juilan and IrishRob probably are in the two best spots out of all the regular posters in this region. Julian has been down to -18 I believe this year! I'm close to the city of Poughkeepsie, so that definitely influences my temperature a bit, though I still get pretty cold as well. 

Incidentally, I follow the weather in Buffalo since it's my hometown and they hit a low of -7 before midnight, breaking a record low from 1889. I posted some climate stats in the Upstate NY forum today, and IIRC they were -14 for the month prior to today and are on track to break the record for the coldest month in their history (and records go back to 1871!). Such an impressive month we are seeing in the eastern US. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Juilan and IrishRob probably are in the two best spots out of all the regular posters in this region. Julian has been down to -18 I believe this year! I'm close to the city of Poughkeepsie, so that definitely influences my temperature a bit, though I still get pretty cold as well. 

Incidentally, I follow the weather in Buffalo since it's my hometown and they hit a low of -7 before midnight, breaking a record low from 1889. I posted some climate stats in the Upstate NY forum today, and IIRC they were -14 for the month prior to today and are on track to break the record for the coldest month in their history (and records go back to 1871!). Such an impressive month we are seeing in the eastern US. 

Wow. Awesome! Makes me wanna move a little bit north...haha

Yup, I think this stretch of cold easily qualifies as "epic". Doing my best to cherish it. Incidentally, KPOU has already broken its record low for the 24th, though it seems a bit like cheating when the old record was a wimpy +3F.

Almost dizzying how quickly my temp is still falling... down to -12.3.

Yup, I think this stretch of cold easily qualifies as "epic". Doing my best to cherish it. Incidentally, KPOU has already broken its record low for the 24th, though it seems a bit like cheating when the old record was a wimpy +3F.

Wow that's impressive, wind picked up a bit here and I'm up to –2 again. KALB isn't in a great spot for radiational cooling either so I bet POU wins by at least 5F.

Damn you are a radiating machine lol..  -3 here..

Last night was the first time I was below zero before midnight believe it or not. I would have bet money that you would be too. I'm at -12 now, off a low of -13. Ties my seasonal low from February 16.

Yeah, I thought I'd get below 0 by midnight too, down to -13 now. My low for the season is -14 so Im not topping that this morning I don't think.

These temperature departures are just incredible. Here's the departures from normal for POU from 2/13 through yesterday (note the +4 on Sunday):

-19/-19/-17/-26/-15/-17/-26/-15/-17/-16/-20/-20/+4/-16.

And today should be around a -25 departure if we hit a projected high of 20.

:shiver:

What kind of temperatures would we be looking at in the summer with similar positive departures?

What kind of temperatures would we be looking at in the summer with similar positive departures?

The distressing thing is that one of these years, it could be us under the ridge of doom instead of Alaska and California. That'd be a shame.

Apparently I tickled down to -17.7F, so a perfect tie with the 16th, but on that morning I kept cooling right until daybreak. Hmm...

Still -11.2F. With the sun up and the wind dead calm, it doesn't even feel that cold. I want to walk outside and recoil in frigid shock, but I guess that sensation is relegated to the depths of night this time of year... lol

Browsing the KPOU climate data, a full 10 out of the top-20 warmest minimums occurred after records resumed in 2001, while the most recent of the top-20 coldest minimums was January 1984. Sort of a random stat, but it just goes to show how remarkable it is to be breaking all these daily/monthly cold records in an era dominated by warmth. 

Edit: that said, it looks like the station put up a -26F departure today. In contrast: on this date in 1985, KPOU went +22F with an average daily temperature of 53F... slightly higher than today's 5F!

Browsing the KPOU climate data, a full 10 out of the top-20 warmest minimums occurred after records resumed in 2001, while the most recent of the top-20 coldest minimums was January 1984. Sort of a random stat, but it just goes to show how remarkable it is to be breaking all these daily/monthly cold records in an era dominated by warmth. 

Edit: that said, it looks like the station put up a -26F departure today. In contrast: on this date in 1985, KPOU went +22F with an average daily temperature of 53F... slightly higher than today's 5F!

I remember the winter of 84-85 and even up in New England, what a bore! I would have killed to have gotten a winter like they have this year. Thankfully, the winter of 86-87 made up for a lot as my hometown, Worcester, MA, got 70 inches of snow in January 1987. It was so epic! 87-88 was not bad either, but then a string of really crappy winters had to be endured until the great blizzard of December 12,1992, where Worcester got clocked with 32 inches of wind blown cement!

I remember the winter of 84-85 and even up in New England, what a bore! I would have killed to have gotten a winter like they have this year. Thankfully, the winter of 86-87 made up for a lot as my hometown, Worcester, MA, got 70 inches of snow in January 1987. It was so epic! 87-88 was not bad either, but then a string of really crappy winters had to be endured until the great blizzard of December 12,1992, where Worcester got clocked with 32 inches of wind blown cement!

Screw you, LOL. That's back when I still watched TWC and they always talked about Worcester getting smacked and I used to think "Man I wish I was in Worcester now":)

Archived