Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/25-1/27 Mauler Thread #2

DDweatherman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is that possible. It's given us nothing all week

well it's starting to take away the phantom back edge hope.. like we do that here anyway. i'd imagine the whole western edge is going to run into worries the next day or so.. the old runs were silly.. can't believe nws around NYC bought it full on. SNE maybe.. that PHL to NYC corridor is quite low confidence IMO.

DC looks like around 0.17" or so, even split between now and 7pm tomorrow, and after 7pm tomorrow.  It also has the band where the other models have it.  I feel ok, given my super low expectations...If I can somehow sneak in .10" after 7pm, maybe I can get my 1.25"...if I am lucky, more....if I am unlucky...less

Wrong. NYC got crushed in that run.

it's still a huge hit but it shrunk the western bullseye and the western edge shifted pretty strongly. track was similar though. certainly not a cave but not nearly as emphatic on the western side. not hard to imagine that dampening further. 

it's still a huge hit but it shrunk the western bullseye and the western edge shifted pretty strongly. track was similar though. certainly not a cave but not nearly as emphatic on the western side. not hard to imagine that dampening further.

Agreed, especially considering how all the other guidance looks.

gfs Nam ggem Ukmet say no to nyc. Euro that good?

DC looks like around 0.17" or so, even split between now and 7pm tomorrow, and after 7pm tomorrow.  It also has the band where the other models have it.  I feel ok, given my super low expectations...If I can somehow sneak in .10" after 7pm, maybe I can get my 1.25"...if I am lucky, more....if I am unlucky...less

Band of .1" in 6 hrs moved from reaching western edge of bay to east of eastern edge of bay.  I don't think this was a very good run at all. Miller Bs usually end up underperforming compared to models especially early IMO. I think we're close to the nail in the coffin.. which MN Transplant has been trying to knock in with a tiny hammer since yesterday.

gfs Nam ggem Ukmet say no to nyc. Euro that good?

I think it's silly to totally toss the GFS if nothing else. A blend is usually your best bet. I still doubt the widespread high totals shown on the Euro esp the western bullseye. The other is WAA driven and is consistent across guidance. There is a certainty issue west at the very least.. enough not to have your low end be a top 3 storm.

Band of .1" in 6 hrs moved from reaching western edge of bay to east of eastern edge of bay.  I don't think this was a very good run at all. Miller Bs usually end up underperforming compared to models especially early IMO. I think we're close to the nail in the coffin.. which MN Transplant has been trying to knock in with a tiny hammer since yesterday.

I don't think our precip tomorrow night is really associated with the coastal backing up, but rather coastal influenced..every model has that band over Loudoun, even the euro (you can't really see it on SV, but I see it on other maps)...It is really the same run as it has been for us...same as last night, a little less than 12z....I never really counted on that extra precip from true wraparound, though it looks like we may still get some --SN or flurries from it...No question it isn't a good run.  I am way past expecting anything good....it does throw enough precip into cold air to get us in inch, if it comes to fruition.  We could get completely screwed, but I feel better knowing there is enhancement to the west versus needing the coastal to back in for us to get anything.  Of course we could get caught in between and virtually dry slotted...

I like the GFS depiction this eve. Shows the Norlun trough feature and Snow development. Likely to be a sloppy evening commute

I have been following LWX pretty closely and they have really held on to the 3-6 idea for much of central MD while much of the guidance has really been pointing to a .3 total QPF over 36 hours type event.  And if you read their discussion it seems as though they they are basing their forecast more on human experience/ knowledge.  If it pans out.. I will bow down to them.  

I have been following LWX pretty closely and they have really held on to the 3-6 idea for much of central MD while much of the guidance has really been pointing to a .3 total QPF over 36 hours type event. And if you read their discussion it seems as though they they are basing their forecast more on human experience/ knowledge. If it pans out.. I will bow down to them.

Which discussion?

Archived