• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The meteorology of tornado forecasting

With the help of the OU Student Chapter of the AMS, I will be conducting a 9-week workshop on tornado forecasting, beginning the evening of Tuesday 3 February 2015 and running through Tuesday 21 April 2015 at the National Weather Center in Norman, OK. Each session will start ~7:30pm and will run about 90 minutes (with a short break). Topics:

1. 2/3 Weather maps, soundings, and synoptic meteorology
2. 2/10 Severe storm ingredients: moisture and lapse rate sources
3. 2/17 Severe storm ingredients: lift and vertical shear sources
4. 3/3 Supercell and tornado conceptual models (+ parameters)
5. 3/10 Synoptic and mesoscale tornado patterns
6. 3/24 Convective mode
7. 4/7 Tornado parameter climatology
8. 4/14 Numerical models
9. 4/21 Real-time forecasting exercise

The workshop will be open to anyone that wants to attend, so feel free to share this information with anyone else you think might be interested. Also, we will attempt to live stream the sessions for anyone that can't make the trek to Norman. More details as they become available...

Rich Thompson - SPC

• 2 weeks later...

Great introductory class today, went over a lot of material and very effectively so.

I particularly liked the curved flow/"2 quadrant" explanation and how the RFQ of the jet really isn't a very bad place to look for tornadoes (providing the setup supports them of course). More subtle ascent within this region vs. the LFQ could possibly sustain a longer period of supercell storm mode, example cases such as 4/14/12 coming to mind.

General question to weather board folks..

I am helping my daughter to find a good weather related science project.  I thought something on tornado prevention might be an interesting topic. I know there has been recent work being done to the effect of using satellites or other devices to interrupt to formation of the tornado.

Does anyone know if the idea of directing lightning (for example attracting lightning with a laser which is being studied as a whole different topic) into the tornado to interfere with the downdraft of cool air has been considered?

• 1 month later...

Bump...

Appreciate these lectures despite no Met background. While I would like to truly master something like a sounding, I get enough of feom this to certainly be a better educated weenie.

Also, we are on the verge of spike in seasonal activity and that -PNA might help put this course knowledge to some use..

Archived