SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM has lots of mixing for SNJ.... that being said why bother with it outside of it's accurate range... Just yesterday the NAM had much more QPF for today's clipper and only backed off during this morning's runs....

I don't think anyone in their right mind takes the NAM too seriously at more than a day or so out.....However, this is a thread where we post about model runs. Taken as is, this run gives southern NJ 3-6" of snow following the rain and mix

what is your reasoning for this?

Look at the H5 patterns on each camp. You have a kicker over the northern states, that if it does not get involved in the correct manner, will ultimately lead to a strung out system like you see on the UKMET, NAM, and GFS.

If we manage to have a more favorable phase and a trough axis that's slightly west so this can come up this coast and deepen significantly, then you'll see something similar to the storm that the foreign models have. It's starting to look like things are a bit more complicated than they previously were since the timing and position of any additional shortwaves dropping out of Canada will not be correctly understood yet. We had the same issue during the February Blizzard last year. 

Not seeing the nam amped up is not good don't care what anyone says

It's amped, just not quite the outcome we want to see. That being said, the system trended significantly West and sharper. It really begins to dig as it rounds the bend, but it's having trouble resolving the shortwaves. The Nam not delivering is a little suspect imho because at h5 everything is coming together and then it just shunts the storm east in a weird/funky set up. Could it get kicked? With this pattern, of course. However, with the set up, especially what it's showing when the low is near obx, the storm should not have ended up strung out and shunted east (in the model outcome) .

United States Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer

Look at the H5 patterns on each camp. You have a kicker over the northern states, that if it does not get involved in the correct manner, will ultimately lead to a strung out system like you see on the UKMET, NAM, and GFS.

If we manage to have a more favorable phase and a trough axis that's slightly west so this can come up this coast and deepen significantly, then you'll see something similar to the storm that the foreign models have. It's starting to look like things are a bit more complicated than they previously were since the timing and position of any additional shortwaves dropping out of Canada will not be correctly understood yet. We had the same issue during the February Blizzard last year. 

We have these types of scenarios/interactions on a thread the needle basis for a lot of the big ones.  Some play out, some wither.

We have these types of scenarios/interactions on a thread the needle basis for a lot of the big ones.  Some play out, some wither.

this storm does remind me somewhat of the february storm from last year.   i can understand what you are saying, but I still think there is room for a scenario besides a bomb or OTS.  In fact, the NAM itself isn't a total whiff....

this storm does remind me somewhat of the february storm from last year. i can understand what you are saying, but I still think there is room for a scenario besides a bomb or OTS. In fact, the NAM itself isn't a total whiff....

Yes but if the storm doesn't tilt and deepen, the pattern will scoot it right out to sea. Additionally, the shortwave behind it will act to kick it.

Usually a good indicator that the NAM is struggling. Does it a lot with Miller A types for some reason. Wonder if it's a resolution issue.

That's exactly what it is. The resolution helps it tremendously, but when it gets outside of its range (though once in a while it does this within 36 hours), the higher resolution acts as a double edged sword and the model cannot resolve all the players.

That's exactly what it is. The resolution helps it tremendously, but when it gets outside of its range (though once in a while it does this within 36 hours), the higher resolution acts as a double edged sword and the model cannot resolve all the players.

It pretty much assumes no limit to the atmosphere, thats why it generates 5.00 liquid sometimes 60 hours out in snowstorms, to the NAM the atmosphere is neverendingly convective.

It pretty much assumes no limit to the atmosphere, thats why it generates 5.00 liquid sometimes 60 hours out in snowstorms, to the NAM the atmosphere is neverendingly convective.

Thank you for the information. (I mean that sincerely by the way)

Archived