joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your posts become more enigmatic with every disappointment this winter. 

Since I HAVE ACED THE COLD ALL YEAR  I have no disappointments .

When are you going to take a stand ? When are you going to contribute here ? When are you going to make a forecast ?

The post was clear , " THE MODEL " shows its a slow mover .

My opinion is since we haven't really run the table ( not sure if you even understand that analogy ) I would be inclined to wait a few days before ringing alarm bells .

I think this Gfs run is the best this thing could become and again it fits the pattern where moderate storms dominate. This run is plenty cold and would be a low warning event.

I don't think this has a lot of room to amplify because the pattern is constantly in motion and there's no time for it to do so. If we were in a blocking pattern I could see this becoming a KU but alas we're not.

My opinion is since we haven't really run the table ( not sure if you even understand that analogy ) I would be inclined to wait a few days before ringing alarm bells .

Or uncorking the champagne, which is what happened in the other thread for Saturday's storm. Until Saturday night, Monday's storm is all academic.

Since I HAVE ACED THE COLD ALL YEAR  I have no disappointments .

When are you going to take a stand ? When are you going to contribute here ? When are you going to make a forecast ?

The post was clear , " THE MODEL " shows its a slow mover .

I know what run the table means, I just don't understand the context here.

If I were to issue a snowfall forecast, right now the 1st event looks like a 2-4" deal S to N.  The second event I won't throw out exact numbers, but the setup looks better than anything I've seen thusfar this winter.  Fresh cold for once.

I know what run the table means, I just don't understand the context here.

If I were to issue a snowfall forecast, right now the 1st event looks like a 2-4" deal S to N.  The second event I won't throw out exact numbers, but the setup looks better than anything I've seen thusfar this winter.  Fresh cold for once.

The context is because all we have seen this winter  is the models back off favorable solutions as we get closer .

So I say file it , and come back in 2 days ( not literally ) .

So yes that's a deep trough and deep negatives with a max coming through should spin a nice SW up .

The Euro does not see it, I am not sure if it`s because it struggles in the N branch or its right .

So I am just posting the maps and being cautious

As of 4:30, they have us at snow throughout the day. But they also had us an 80% chance of snow all last night when not a flake fell. It's way too far out to really take what any forecasting agency says seriously.

I agree. One should be careful about details especially with the kind of system that might or might not be in play on Monday. It's a clipper-type system dropping down from Manitoba. If there were blocking, one might be talking about the possibility of a major snowstorm or even blizzard as it reaches the coast and then deepens rapidly off the Delmarva.

There won't be blocking this time around, but the system is much more energetic than the clipper that just sailed through the area. That, alone, might mean a higher probability of seeing snowfall if it takes the track that is currently modeled.

There is a chance that it rapidly redevelops upon reaching the Atlantic and a period of moderate or heavy snow develops, but on account of the absence of blocking, it takes a wide swing  upon exiting the coast. The result would be a short-lived period of such snowfall, but with much better amounts than what recently occurred (perhaps widespread amounts in the 2"-4"/3"-6" range under that scenario, as ratios will also be higher than 10:1).. Parts of Long Island and the Cape might do best under such a scenario with Atlantic Canada possibly seeing a blizzard afterward.

Right now, this is too speculative. Let's see what other guidance shows.

As of 4:30, they have us at snow throughout the day. But they also had us an 80% chance of snow all last night when not a flake fell. It's way too far out to really take what any forecasting agency says seriously.

I really couldn't agree more. This does however have the best chance to produce a real nice snow event for the coast. For once we are talking a pure snow event with cold air available.

I agree. One should be careful about details especially with the kind of system that might or might not be in play on Monday. It's a clipper-type system dropping down from Manitoba. If there were blocking, one might be talking about the possibility of a major snowstorm or even blizzard as it reaches the coast and then deepens rapidly off the Delmarva.

There won't be blocking this time around, but the system is much more energetic than the clipper that just sailed through the area. That, alone, might mean a higher probability of seeing snowfall if it takes the track that is currently modeled.

There is a chance that it rapidly redevelops upon reaching the Atlantic and a period of moderate or heavy snow develops, but on account of the absence of blocking, it takes a wide swing  upon exiting the coast. The result would be a short-lived period of such snowfall, but with much better amounts than what recently occurred (perhaps widespread amounts in the 2"-4"/3"-6" range under that scenario, as ratios will also be higher than 10:1).. Parts of Long Island and the Cape might do best under such a scenario with Atlantic Canada possibly seeing a blizzard afterward.

Right now, this is too speculative. Let's see what other guidance shows.

Great analysis, good thoughts. I definitely think this Manitoba Mauler will outperform the Saturday storm. I think if everything goes right it COULD drop 4-8" for areas near the coast as it redevelops due to ratios. I think a widespread 2-4" is a good call for now but it definitely possess the possibility for more than that.

UPTON NOT A BIG FAN

A SHORTWAVE TRACKS TOWARD THE MID ATLANTIC COAST SUNDAY NIGHT
AND MONDAY AS SFC LOW PRESSURE PASSES JUST SOUTH. QUESTIONS ARISE
WITH EXACT PLACEMENT OF SFC LOW...STRENGTH AND EVOLUTION OF THIS
UPPER SHORTWAVE...WITH GFS QUITE ROBUST WITH THE STRENGTH OF THIS
OVERALL SYSTEM. LATEST ECMWF SOLUTION IS WEAKER ALOFT...AND
SFC LOW IS SUPPRESSED FURTHER TO THE SOUTH BY MONDAY.

INITIALLY PLENTY OF COLD AIR IS IN PLACE. AS SUCH...ANY
PRECIPITATION THAT WE DO OBSERVE SHOULD BE MAINLY IN THE FORM OF
SNOW. HOWEVER...SOME WARM AIR COULD ADVECT NORTHWARD DURING THE DAY
MONDAY WITH A WINTRY MIX...AGAIN IF GFS IS CORRECT.

ECMWF THOUGH WOULD BE MAINLY SNOW...BUT MOST OF THE PRECIP REMAINS
JUST SOUTH OF THE AREA.

ANY WINTRY MIX CHANGES BACK TO SNOW BEFORE ENDING MONDAY NIGHT.

UPTON NOT A BIG FAN

A SHORTWAVE TRACKS TOWARD THE MID ATLANTIC COAST SUNDAY NIGHT

AND MONDAY AS SFC LOW PRESSURE PASSES JUST SOUTH. QUESTIONS ARISE

WITH EXACT PLACEMENT OF SFC LOW...STRENGTH AND EVOLUTION OF THIS

UPPER SHORTWAVE...WITH GFS QUITE ROBUST WITH THE STRENGTH OF THIS

OVERALL SYSTEM. LATEST ECMWF SOLUTION IS WEAKER ALOFT...AND

SFC LOW IS SUPPRESSED FURTHER TO THE SOUTH BY MONDAY.

INITIALLY PLENTY OF COLD AIR IS IN PLACE. AS SUCH...ANY

PRECIPITATION THAT WE DO OBSERVE SHOULD BE MAINLY IN THE FORM OF

SNOW. HOWEVER...SOME WARM AIR COULD ADVECT NORTHWARD DURING THE DAY

MONDAY WITH A WINTRY MIX...AGAIN IF GFS IS CORRECT.

ECMWF THOUGH WOULD BE MAINLY SNOW...BUT MOST OF THE PRECIP REMAINS

JUST SOUTH OF THE AREA.

ANY WINTRY MIX CHANGES BACK TO SNOW BEFORE ENDING MONDAY NIGHT.

Get the blowers ready

Archived