Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
1/18 - 1/19 Potential Coastal Storm

NEG NAO

Two quick thoughts on the ice:

1. Even as some areas had readings near or just above freezing, ice resulted. This was probably because the ground temperature was < 32°, as surface temperatures are measured at 2 meters above the ground.

2. The coverage of ice is a big coup for the HRRR model and that model was growing more aggressive with the ice as it moved closer to the event. Two images from earlier runs of that model:

HRRR01182015.jpg

don't know I watched the news last night and all they kept saying it was going to be very icy from 3AM on

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Predicting freezing rain or drizzle is a very challenging. The NWS originally had an advisory for NYC out and dropped it when temperatures were above freezing..

I tend to think that the NWS does a great job for the most part. However, with temps barely above freezing, wouldn't the threat still be there, being that freezing rain freezes on contact with a cold ground. Therefore, hovering just above freezing with the approaching precip would still be a risk (and would maybe err on the safe side)

I tend to think that the NWS does a great job for the most part. However, with temps barely above freezing, wouldn't the threat still be there, being that freezing rain freezes on contact with a cold ground. Therefore, hovering just above freezing with the approaching precip would still be a risk (and would maybe err on the safe side)

I was thinking the same thing. If the ground surface is below freezing what difference does it make what the air temperature is. In this case many areas had a mist or drizzle to start which wouldn't warm the surface very quickly.

Agree.

Archived