• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winters in Charlotte that began with no snow in December AND January

BullCityWx

The historical data is good and all.  In fact, I should probably come up with some around here also (but I figure they'd be even lower?) anyway.. eventually regardless of history, a big storm will pop up at some point.  Hopefully your 10% chance turns into 100% and everyone can get lucky soon with much more than 2 inches this season.

I compiled something similar for Raleigh. Since 1950 (and excluding this winter), there have only been 13 winters in Raleigh that did not see accumulating snow by February 7. Of those, 7 saw no accumulating snow and 10 saw less than 1 inch. The others were 1951-1952, 1992-1993, and 1959-1960. The mean snowfall for the 13 winters was 2.2".

I compiled something similar for Raleigh. Since 1950 (and excluding this winter), there have only been 13 winters in Raleigh that did not see accumulating snow by February 7. Of those, 7 saw no accumulating snow and 10 saw less than 1 inch. The others were 1951-1952, 1992-1993, and 1959-1960. The mean snowfall for the 13 winters was 2.2".

Great research! Looks like 1960 skewed the mean, LOL. #1960redux

RDU and CLT will get 0.1". GSO will get 25" in Fab Feb/Marvelous March. Also, PGV will get 20" in a March superbomb that fringes RDU. New Bern will rain-to-snow for 15". Packbacker will be pissed. ;)

If it's March, I will be happy, if it's Feb I will laugh like the Joker in Batman. After March 3rd snow is dead to me.

We absolutely will get more than 1" of snow this year in RDU and CLT.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I am more interested to see if Boston can eclipse 100" for only the 2nd time ever. They are at 57" I think. With another 15-18" by Monday they will be well into the 70's. Shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I am more interested to see if Boston can eclipse 100" for only the 2nd time ever. They are at 57" I think. With another 15-18" by Monday they will be well into the 70's. Shouldn't be a problem.

Meh, all these stats are nice to look at and all, but choosing an arbitrary date as some measuring stick for what to expect for the rest of the year is meaningless without understanding the similarities (or lack of similarities) to the patterns that produced no snow in those analog years.

I hope Boston gets their 100". History making is cool.

1879-1880- 3.7" MLN

1889-1890- 1" SLN

1900-1901- 1" WEN

1910-1911- .1" MLN

1922-1923- .2" NN

1923-1924- 4.7" WEN

1931-1932- .2" NN

1933-1934- .4" MLN

2011-2012- .4" WLN

1946-1947- 1.3" NP

1940-1941- 4.1" SEN

So, this sample favors Nino's, which averaged a respectable 3.3". I think that's above normal for Feb+, which should be encouraging in itself. Contrast that to Nina's, which averaged only 1.1", and the neutrals, which averaged only 0.6". There were 5 of the 11 in the under 0.5" range. None of these were Nino's or neutral positive, which were all 1"+. That is a good sign.

I'll reiterate what I said. When looking at just El Niño's and the neutral positive in this list, the stats for Feb+ at Charlotte are really not bad. The two weak Nino's along with the neutral positive actually averaged 2.3", which I'm thinking is at least near climo for Feb+.

• 2 weeks later...

2 minutes ago

Official snowfall at @CLTAirport 0.5" ,mainly sleet, but that's 137 straight years with snow in Charlotte. #cltwx"

I don't get the 137 year remark. Does he mean for this day in history?

It has snowed, at least enough to measure, for 137 straight years.  In other words they have never had a winter, since records began being kept, where they didn't have at least a bit of snow.

I'll reiterate what I said. When looking at just El Niño's and the neutral positive in this list, the stats for Feb+ at Charlotte are really not bad. The two weak Nino's along with the neutral positive actually averaged 2.3", which I'm thinking is at least near climo for Feb+.

Saved by the weak Nino/neutral positive ENSO?

• 10 months later...

Archived