joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro last night looked very much in line with the GFS. The good news is the GEFS and Euro EPS both looked better than their OP runs. The bad news is they have all moved away from a SE snow storm signal IMHO. 6z GFS is interesting as it tries to give us in NC next Sunday. It wouldn't take much for that to be a bigger deal. Verbatim it gives a good portion of central and eastern NC 1-2 inches of snow. Just something to keep an eye on. Also we need to wait for this blizzard to roll through the NE. It'll be kind of pointless to trust any model until that lays down it's snow and positions it self to setup our 50/50 low.

Maybe grasping here, but the 6z GFS didnt look horrible to me. The threat looks to have moved up to the Feb 1st time frame. There is moisture trying to stream out way from TX, looks like it just fizzles before it gets here, but that's about the time a low try's to pop off the GA/ Carolina coasts, temps look decent, but I think we had a threat earlier in the winter and only GFS was showing it and that didnt really work out

12z is interesting it shifted the cutoff low spinning further to the east. Would like to see if that keeps happening in future runs. Still a big swing and miss for us especially since that northern energy doesn't dig as much. Not as much qpf associated with it on Sunday like the 6z showed. Out to 156 so we'll see where it goes from here. 

Gotta love that the GFS went from huge arctic blast run after run to now showing above average temps for almost the entire CONUS save for the NE. #$%%%#!

So shocking, I for sure thought early Feb was going to deliver. It's not like it for this winter to have these great 10+ day patterns showing up and fail to materialize. Even the EPS went this way last night. I for one am stunned.

Gotta love that the GFS went from huge arctic blast run after run to now showing above average temps for almost the entire CONUS save for the NE. #$%%%#!

Is it my imagination or are what were incredibly strong (1056-60) and very large Canadian highs now showing up as just rather averaged sized Arctic highs of 1045 or under?

12z is interesting it shifted the cutoff low spinning further to the east. Would like to see if that keeps happening in future runs. Still a big swing and miss for us especially since that northern energy doesn't dig as much. Not as much qpf associated with it on Sunday like the 6z showed. Out to 156 so we'll see where it goes from here. 

This potential setup for late next weekend is evolving on the models in a very similar fashion to what this past event did...

For those who follow WxSouth (Robert) closely, he noted how the NAM, of all models, kicked the GFS/Euro's butt  in picking up the recent baja low getting ejected out...

To me, its sounding like we're heading down that same path again potentially where the global models struggle in that Day 5-7 range, then once you get inside of Day 4, the NAM leads the charge with the GFS and Euro finally joining the party by 48-72 hours out...

I think for those in the Upper Southeast, especially the I-40 Cooridor and the I-85 cooridor in NC/SC...this is something that we need to keep in the back of our minds...the models may be leading us down the wrong path for the next couple days, or at least waffle back and forth...then next thing you know come mid-week, we're all back in the game...

I also think we need for this upcoming East Coast Bomb to do its thing and see how it could alter the playing field...

Another wild card that I have noticed in the last 3 or 4 GFS runs is the secondary storm system to affect the Northeast on Friday...that has come out of nowhere as well and has given a negative effect on our situation...one would probably like to see that be erroneous and verify much weaker...

You can see how crappy things have trended, yeah this is the Op GFS at day 6-7 but the EPS is showing similar and so will the 12z GEFS I bet...

If the bottom map from a few days ago had verified for this weekend we had potential.  But the ridge is getting squashed by AK low, -EPO is gone, just a terrible setup now.  Been happening all winter, no reason to think that just because it's Feb that now it would change.

post-2311-0-09925300-1422205074_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-07355200-1422205076_thumb.pn

Is it my imagination or are what were incredibly strong (1056-60) and very large Canadian highs now showing up as just rather averaged sized Arctic highs of 1045 or under?

We did Larry...I remember seeing those big ones showing like that.  Now, not so much...Tells me that the models really don't know whats going on.  LOL

On a second look it's a crush job for everyone save for eastern NC wow!

Burger,

When you say the 12Z Canadian is a crush job for "everyone save E NC", who do you mean by "everyone"? Are you mainly talking about the rest of NC or are other SE states included? If other SE states are included, which ones and which parts? Also, what kind of track is being shown? Miller a? B? Clipper? Upper low? Other? TIA

Burger,

When you say the 12Z Canadian is a crush job for all everyone save E NC, who do you mean by "everyone"? Are you mainly talking about the rest of NC or are other SE states included? If other SE states are included, which ones and which parts? TIA

Sorry, mainly NC....ATL looks like it ends up with 1-2 inches of snow...north fares better. Here is a zoomed in look 

9EkB5wu.png

How did Canadian do with last Fridays event? Wrt

temps and precip? Does it have a cold bias?

Until the Euro comes out it is obviously an outlier so hard to take seriously right now. I haven't seen 5h maps but I suspect it sent out most of the energy associated with that cutoff and the phased with our northern energy but hard to tell. That one is a nice long duration event. Let's hope the Euro gives us some hope. 

Until the Euro comes out it is obviously an outlier so hard to take seriously right now. I haven't seen 5h maps but I suspect it sent out most of the energy associated with that cutoff and the phased with our northern energy but hard to tell. That one is a nice long duration event. Let's hope the Euro gives us some hope.

How were temps , borderline or solid cold? Was it a wedge sig, I can't see CMC , tia

Sorry, mainly NC....ATL looks like it ends up with 1-2 inches of snow...north fares better. Here is a zoomed in look

9EkB5wu.png

Burger,

Thanks. Would you post the 180 hour map, please? TIA

The track looks favorable assuming a cold enough high close enough to the north. Note that the 0C 850 line and the 546 thickness are fairly near each other. I find that to often be the case in the SE in winter. That's why I usually feel pretty good if the 546 thickness line is near or south of me. 540 thicknesses are rarely ever required with a Miller A.

Archived