joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/13, 1/14 - Freezing rain threat

packfan98

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm moving from Columbus, GA to Charlottesville, VA via I-85 to US 29. I hope more than anything this doesn't happen... That said, I'm not liking what I'm seeing on the models starting just north of Charlotte on I-85 to Charlottesville on the 14th. Not going to be a fun drive... :(

KATL and KMGE look a few degrees too warm but stranger things have happened..... Did you take a new job? I thought you were a broadcast met in Columbus.

KATL and KMGE look a few degrees too warm but stranger things have happened..... Did you take a new job? I thought you were a broadcast met in Columbus.

You must have missed the conversation a few weeks ago.  Several members played along with "Guess the new home market of the Met" until the Candyman finally gave away his new destination.  So, yes, he took a new job.

I'm moving from Columbus, GA to Charlottesville, VA via I-85 to US 29. I hope more than anything this doesn't happen... That said, I'm not liking what I'm seeing on the models starting just north of Charlotte on I-85 to Charlottesville on the 14th. Not going to be a fun drive... :(

Yeah that will be a rough drive. On your way to Charlottesville stop by my neck of the woods and get the best BBQ you could think of at Short Sugars right off of 29.

Local mets are really downplaying this event. Feel like with the extremely cold ground temperatures this could cause some issues.

You must have missed the conversation a few weeks ago.  Several members played along with "Guess the new home market of the Met" until the Candyman finally gave away his new destination.  So, yes, he took a new job.

Indeed. I am taking a new position in Charlottesville after being in Columbus the past 4+ years. I'm a little sad to be leaving, but excited to significantly up my yearly snow average! :weenie:

Yeah that will be a rough drive. On your way to Charlottesville stop by my neck of the woods and get the best BBQ you could think of at Short Sugars right off of 29.

Local mets are really downplaying this event. Feel like with the extremely cold ground temperatures this could cause some issues.

Hmm. May have to do that on my trek, if only to stop on my drive. Not looking forward to driving a U-haul and towing my car while the fiance follows. Should be fun. :axe:

Speaking of ground temperatures, they are indeed cold. http://www.greencastonline.com/tools/gisFull.asp?maps=EastToday

Honestly, I'd give it at least a mention like "watching Tuesday night/Wednesday morning for ice" or something like that if I worked up that way. Interestingly, the 00Z NAM shows this for Tuesday night: post-1807-0-35991800-1420945974_thumb.pn with the ice trying to get down near Greensboro, NC and points north. It then doesn't move it much through 4 AM  Wednesdaypost-1807-0-74211300-1420945970_thumb.pn

Even more interesting are the snow and ice maps.

post-1807-0-99216200-1420946523_thumb.pn

This has the "snow" line reaching into central VA, which I don't completely buy because the soundings don't show enough moisture in the "growth" zone. So this may be that may be more sleet/freezing drizzle/rain than snow, at least in central VA.

post-1807-0-82942200-1420946527_thumb.pn

The 0Z NAM is showing a light icing event from Asheboro, NC & points NE. The light, kind of transparent red is 0.01-0.05" of ice. The next contour is 0.05-0.1" of ice and so on. So, right where I have to drive... :(:lol:

Candyman, I don't see how you ever survived down there. It's way too hot.

:lol: Not for this Florida boy! Besides, we only hit 106° once while I was here. That's not TOO hot, is it? (That broke our all-time record high, btw) It was a little over 4 years ago that I got to go through my first ice storm here. That after seeing snow on Christmas Day spoiled me... :( It wasn't until last year's ice/snow storm that we got anything significant again. Oh well... That's why I'm moving to a more icy location in central VA! Now, to learn how to ice skate with my car. ;)

:lol: Not for this Florida boy! Besides, we only hit 106° once while I was here. That's not TOO hot, is it? (That broke our all-time record high, btw) It was a little over 4 years ago that I got to go through my first ice storm here. That after seeing snow on Christmas Day spoiled me... :( It wasn't until last year's ice/snow storm that we got anything significant again. Oh well... That's why I'm moving to a more icy location in central VA! Now, to learn how to ice skate with my car. ;)

lol.. anything over 80 is too hot for me.

Knowing history, & tendencies for models to perform poorly w/ CAD esp. where CAA advection is originating over what will be a fresh snowpack to our north over PA, OH, NY, etc & uncertainty about the depth of the lower tropospheric cold layer, it's plausible to think some sleet may try to mix in anywhere generally along a line from Greensboro to Roxboro, points northwestward. However the dominant wintry p-type at this point obviously still appears to be Freezing Rain...

Euro ensembles continue to show more qpf on this one and the second wave that has some snow potential. Will be interesting to see the trends today/tomorrow.

For the coastal potential...Interesting the ENS mean is a west of the Op, came in wetter/colder than 12z EPS mean yesterday.  Nice cluster right over HAT too.   The 6z GEFS came in wetter than previous runs too.

For the coastal potential...Interesting the ENS mean is a west of the Op, came in wetter/colder than 12z EPS mean yesterday.  Nice cluster right over HAT too.   The 6z GEFS came in wetter than previous runs too.

That system will be a close call. it won't surprise me if the models struggle with it until mid-week. The phasing situations usually do not resolve themselves until late in the game.

Lol... just saw that Solak. If this actually materializes like the NAM is showing somebody may be in the "sweet" spot for ice. We have the problem where the temps will be colder the farther north and west you go but the precip gets heavier the farther east you get. That sweet spot could be you; especially if the temps are just a little bit colder (like CADs tend to be).

Lol... just saw that Solak. If this actually materializes like the NAM is showing somebody may be in the "sweet" spot for ice. We have the problem where the temps will be colder the farther north and west you go but the precip gets heavier the farther east you get. That sweet spot could be you; especially if the temps are just a little bit colder (like CADs tend to be).

We're starting to get into the period where we should start seeing adjustments up in QPF and down in temps.

The 12z NAM has less precip(between .1 -.15) for RDU than the 6z. It is a little colder. Looks like temps could drop into the upper 20s with light precip.. 850s even cool where it would be close to maybe some light snow (if growth region was adequate). Still far enough away that as long as it keeps showing precip the colder look is really what we want to see at this point. It's cold enough that maybe some even across the SC boarder could see very light freezing rain / drizzle.   

Yep, looks like as I mentioned yesterday some areas, especially from Roxboro & the Triad & pts northwestward, embedded within a deeper near surface below freezing layer may have to deal w/ sleet mixing in at times... One can certainly hope that ends up being the dominant precip type in that region, nothing is worse than freezing rain...

Para has -zr down to CAE and even a little near WIL! On Wed

CAE is still watching it  ;)  

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

A WEAKENING COLD FRONT OR TROUGH WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE SOUTHWARD

ACROSS THE REGION TUESDAY. WEAK ISENTROPIC LIFT WILL INCREASE AS

THE SURFACE WINDS BECOME NORTHEASTERLY WITH MID-LEVEL WINDS

SOUTHWESTERLY. THIS WILL INCREASE THE CHANCE FOR LIGHT RAIN OR

DRIZZLE ACROSS THE AREA TUESDAY BEFORE THE ISENTROPIC LIFT BEGINS

TO WEAKEN TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE

TO REMAIN COOL WITH WEAK COLD AIR DAMMING. TEMPERATURES ONLY

EXPECTED TO WARM INTO THE MIDDLE 40S NORTH TO AROUND 50 SOUTHEAST.

AT THE SURFACE...A LARGE RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL STRETCH

FROM THE MIDWEST INTO NEW ENGLAND AS AN 1040+ MB HIGH CONTINUES TO

WEDGE IN PLACE. THIS COMBINED WITH AN ACTIVE SOUTHERN STREAM

MAY PRODUCE SOME WINTRY WEATHER ISSUES OVER THE NORTHERN SECTION TUESDAY

NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. CONFIDENCE STILL REMAINS LOW

AS THE MODELS REMAIN UNSETTLED ON HOW FAR SOUTH THE COLDEST AIR

PENETRATES. THE MODELS SUGGEST THE WEDGE STRENGTHENING TUESDAY

WITH A SHALLOW COLD LAYER NEAR THE SURFACE TUESDAY NIGHT WITH WARM

ADVECTION ALOFT. MODEL SOUNDINGS SUGGEST FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE...

ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE NORTHERN PART. MULTIPLE GFS AND PAST COUPLE

OF ECMWF RUNS HAVE INDICATED A THREAT BASED ON THE PARTIAL

THICKNESS PATTERN TUESDAY NIGHT FOR NEWBERRY...FAIRFIELD...

LANCASTER...CHESTERFIELD AND NORTHERN KERSHAW COUNTIES. WE HAVE

CONTINUED TO FORECAST POSSIBLE FREEZING RAIN NORTH MIDLANDS AND

PIEDMONT TUESDAY NIGHT AND EARLY WEDNESDAY WHERE THE THREAT

APPEARS HIGHEST.

Archived