• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Arctic Attack Thread

Marion_NC_WX

Guess that depends on just how much drizzle there is......the temp never got over 28 here today, so tonight the bridges wouldn't take much to freeze up but I would think it would have to be pretty heavy drizzle which seems unlikely given the air mass.....but IF it does then I don't see how it wouldn't freeze to the roads and be a issue.

They seem to agree that it could cause a few slick spots.  I think you may be over dramatizing the potential with this one.  JMO and the opinion of the NWS as well.  Carry on....

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to agree that it could cause a few slick spots.  I think you may be over dramatizing the potential with this one.  JMO and the opinion of the NWS as well.  Carry on....

So if I retract the word "nightmare" will my first post be Marietta approved? I am pretty sure in my second post I said outside of heavy drizzle the chances of their being issues are unlikely but that with the temps as cold as they have been any real significant drizzle IF it develops would pose problems....I also said that heavy drizzle seems to be unlikely given the airmass its currently 25 with a DP of 0 just the fact that they think drizzle can develop overnight is astounding to me.

So if I retract the word "nightmare" will my first post be Marietta approved? I am pretty sure in my second post I said outside of heavy drizzle the chances of their being issues are unlikely but that with the temps as cold as they have been any real significant drizzle IF it develops would pose problems....I also said that heavy drizzle seems to be unlikely given the airmass its currently 25 with a DP of 0 just the fact that they think drizzle can develop overnight is astounding to me.

Probably not! Sitting at 23.7 currently, impressive with the longer days and higher sun angle we had today!

Here's how it's played out here so far...

Forecast..........................Actual

42/43/47..............................46

19/18...................................21

15/18...................................18

Ended up being very close to what we had in November IMBY

Busted pipe... Damn. Left water dripping but didn't matter. Insulation problem in my front closet.

Can't drip 'em when it's that cold.  I keep learning the lesson over and over thru the years.  Got to run the water, particularly the hot water.  At least a pencil lead, and I've wrapped all the pipes in 4 inch attic insulation.  I figure the water heater bill is worth not having to lie on my back in ice water to fix all those pipes :)  Like 3 years ago.  I just turn 'em on to flow when it's still 40, so I don't miss the timing, and turn 'em off when the temps get into safe range....and pay the electric bill for all that hot water with a smile :)  T

Mine ran 15.5 hours yesterday compared to only 4 hours those warm days last week. House stayed nice and warm though.

I've got a 21 year old dual zone heat pump. The room over the garage is always cold in winter and warm in summer. And the upstairs unit runs constantly when it's very hot/very cold. As you would expect, the downstairs unit runs much less.

Well, we are coming out the other side of the this arctic attack...I cannot wait for another one of these later on in the winter. I would have to believe given the repeating pattern of massive surface high's coming out of Canada, we'll have another blast before winter is over...

The re-enforcing shot of cold really did the trick overnight last night as the low on Saturday morning was 13. It's currently 19 so I'm guessing we will drop a few more by morning.

BTW, for those who thought it was funny to have this thread, good luck with the 0.05 of freezing rain thats coming this week in the CAD regions.

Now that we're on the retreating side of this...

Here's how it's played out here so far...

Forecast..........................Actual

42/43/47..............................46

19/18...................................21

15/18...................................18

Ended up being very close to what we had in November IMBY

Weather channel in their headlines this morning said they are looking to the 20th of January for most of the country to start cooling back down. Don't look like it is going to get all that warm in the next week so, sounds like the artic hounds could be released again in just over a week or so.

By the way, I feel the pain with frozen pipes. Ours froze thursday morning when we got down to 7, no busted pipes just the water lines froze somewhere between the well pump and house. Left the water running too, only happens when we get to around 10 or lower. No water and a household full of girls..... it was not a good time for about 12 hours or so....

Archived