joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Arctic Attack Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, its not as extreme cold as the last 2 runs, NO...but its pretty damn cold.  I would say its like 8-10 degrees warmer this run.  Might even be a little warmer than the GFS and CMC is showing.  

yeah it's 4 degrees warmer for RDU (14 vs 18 degrees) so depends on your backyard, definitely a lot warmer in the northern parts of the gulf states, because the cold didn't really dig as far south...to me I feel like we'll see some back and forth here between the models just how much cold makes it to the deep south.

We did not have snow on the ground during the cold shot that brought us those readings last year.

I'll have to go back and check but I had 6 single digit readings last year with 4 of those without snowpack.  The lowest without snow was 4 and the lowest with snow was -1.  I believe it was 9 on the first night of Snowjam with the -1 the second night.  

yeah it's 4 degrees warmer for RDU (14 vs 18 degrees) so depends on your backyard, definitely a lot warmer in the northern parts of the gulf states, because the cold didn't really dig as far south...to me I feel like we'll see some back and forth here between the models just how much cold makes it to the deep south.

Agreed..Its a lot warmer here, but whatever...Its still WELL below normal and very cold.  I think it will go back and forth, like you said.  Either way, there is consistency with it.  It will move out quickly, but hey...its something that was showing a TORCH At times!

Agreed..Its a lot warmer here, but whatever...Its still WELL below normal and very cold.  I think it will go back and forth, like you said.  Either way, there is consistency with it.  It will move out quickly, but hey...its something that was showing a TORCH At times!

I guess that means no freeze for Northern FL ?

I'll have to go back and check but I had 6 single digit readings last year with 4 of those without snowpack.  The lowest without snow was 4 and the lowest with snow was -1.  I believe it was 9 on the first night of Snowjam with the -1 the second night.  

Yeah, we had two outbreaks if I remember right.  The first and coldest (if I remember right) was without snow.  The second blast just a touch warmer was with snowpack after snowjam.

Snow cover can do amazing things to temps. I'm surprised you were colder in that early January arctic outbreak considering you didn't have any snow cover. Snow cover can really plummet temps much faster than when there's no snow.

My last post on the topic : In my experience snow cover can only do so much.... You are still dependent on how cold the upper levels are and how well that cold translates to surface temps..  I do agree though two air masses with the exact same qualities will see the one with snow cover translate to colder surface temps over the one with bare ground....

Wow, that's really cool.  So this is tracking a parcel of air from one spot to another?

Yeah, I told HYSPLIT model (using 12z GFS run) to forecast where the air parcel at ground level in Clayton, NC on morning of January 8th is coming from and HYSPLIT traced that parcel back to 2 km above Siberia as of yesterday. 

EDIT: Correction: 500 meters above Clayton.

Here's something even cooler from NOAA HYSPLIT: I can enter in three different coordinates and have the model run backward trajectories for couple dozens of parcels all over Southeast. Here's what I got...

ISIvdQ6.gif

As you can see, parcels on morning of January 8th from 12z GFS is coming to us from either Baffin Bay region or Arctic Ocean off coast of Siberia.

18z GFS, coldest 850s in KCAE are -11.  Looks like we might make it to 26 or so for high/s.. around 18-19 or warmer for lows. meh
para gfs is warmer in kcae too with -9 lowest 850s.... saw around 29 high well, the "how cold can we go" excitement was fun while it lasted.  still pretty chilly air regardless. 

Edit, btw.. its still cold and im excited for it.. I just went back to reality after seeing that 00z Euro last night.  Seems it might be backing away from that extreme solution it had, but who knows?

Archived