• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015 ENSO super thread

Great stuff...thanks a bunch

Interestingly, if we use NYC as a point of reference, no winter of more than 26" of snow occurred in the entire traditional el nino list, whereas, the modoki list is obviously significantly snowier, with only 2-3 of the years being poor snowfall wise. If you think about the differences in physical forcing in the Pacific, it makes sense.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was just the strongest Central Pacific westerly wind event of the 2000's so far according

to CSU Philip Klotzbach tied in with the twin cyclones.

Whether or not that's the case is still uncertain. The SOI may well drop below -40, but it remains to be seen whether it will reach or surpass the -76.05 figure of 2/4/2010. That's the recent benchmark.

Figures of -40 or below have been relatively uncommon in recent years:

2010: 7 days (5 days with -50 or below)

2011: 1 day

2012: 4 days

2013: 2 days

2014: 0 days

2015: 1 day (earlier this year)

The 2/4/2010 850 mb Zonal Wind anomalies are below:

zonalwinds02042010.jpg

Does a central/west based Nino during the Summer favor a different pattern over the US than an east based Nino? I've seen lots of discussion on Winter patterns but don't recall anything about Summer.

I'm not sure about the breakdown between central/west and east, but a Nino in general tends to favor a cooler than normal summer for a good portion of the US (probably moreso for a stronger one) though I don't know about your area in particular. Also, the Atlantic basin tropics would likely be relatively quiet overall again this year though it obviously only takes one hit in the wrong place to potentially be a bad year for casualties/damage. Generally, the stronger the Nino, the quieter.

Edit: I don't know if this is the best place to put this but fwiw:

I just read that the MJO just hit an all-time record high amplitude of +4.10. I checked the table and it has exceeded 4.0 in any phase in any month only once for a two day period in 2/1985, when it was ~4.01.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mjo/graphics/rmm.74toRealtime.txt

I don't know if this is the best place to put this but fwiw:

I just read that the MJO just hit an all-time record high amplitude of +4.10. I checked the table and it has exceeded 4.0 in any phase in any month only once for a two day period in 2/1985, when it was ~4.01.

Actually, it apparently went much higher: to 4.8557429!!!

7   4.8557429

Don, using the ESRL raw data this westerly wind burst was stronger than the 2/4/10 event

when you compare them. Having the cyclones in that configuration made the difference.

attachicon.gifB_5tnRPUkAAN_c6.png-large.png

One day peak

attachicon.gif31115.jpg

attachicon.gif2:4:10.jpg

five day mean 

attachicon.gif15.jpg

attachicon.gif2010.jpg

Thanks for this data, Bluewave. I hadn't seen it and stand corrected.

Westerly wind anomalies continue after the MJO bonanza.

Nino regions 1-4 have responded significantly in the past week and subsurface anomalies look very healthy.

The CFS weeklies indicate an El Nino type configuration to the Walker cell over the next few weeks (when looking at 850mb anomalies).

The current Nino continues to be low end weak. So, it has only barely warmed at the sfc in 3.4 in recent weeks. Based on the history of the 12 2nd year Nino's since the late 1800's: if the current one were to remain on the weak to low end moderate side into fall, the chance for another overall cold winter for the eastern 1/3 of the US in 2015-6 would be pretty high though it would help if the NAO were to flip at least down to neutral.

GaWx...would it be okay if I asked for the list of 12 2nd year El Nino years that you are considering?

1885-6, 1896-7, 1900-1, 1905-6, 1914-5, 1919-20, 1940-1, 1953-4, 1958-9, 1969-70, 1977-8, 1987-8

As you can see, we're quite "overdue" for the next two year Niño being that it has been 28 years since the last one. Previously, the longest such period going back to the late 1800's was only 21 years (1919 to 1940). Average period between double Nino's is only 11 years.

Edited

With warming in all 4 ENSO regions, we've made good progress towards sustaining a multi-year El Nino.  However, trade winds are starting to strengthen again, so we're going to want another WWB over the next couple weeks if we want to keep the ball rolling.

attachicon.gifu.anom.30.5S-5N.png

We already have weak Nino and decent subsurface SSTs. The ball can stop rolling for a couple months and we still make moderate by October as long as the trend doesn't reverse too much.

^If the next peak between now and fall were to rise up to, say, only within the +0.6 to +1.3 range, I'd think that the winter of 2015-6 would have a good chance of being the 3rd overall cold winter in a row for at least most of the eastern 1/3 of the US based on an analysis of the 12 2nd year El Nino's since the late 1800's. However, I'm thinking that the peak being within the lower end of this range (say, +0.6 to +0.7) is quite unlikely based on the current quite warm subsurface but we'll see.

If this next peak gets into the high end moderate to strong, then the chances of an overall cold winter for the bulk of the E 1/3 of the US in 2015-6 would be a lot lower than it would be for a weak to low end moderate based on history though a largely near normal winter would be very much in play.

^If the next peak between now and fall were to rise up to, say, only within the +0.6 to +1.3 range, I'd think that the winter of 2015-6 would have a good chance of being the 3rd overall cold winter in a row for at least most of the eastern 1/3 of the US based on an analysis of the 12 2nd year El Nino's since the late 1800's. However, I'm thinking that the peak being within the lower end of this range (say, +0.6 to +0.7) is quite unlikely based on the current quite warm subsurface but we'll see.

If this next peak gets into the high end moderate to strong, then the chances of an overall cold winter for the bulk of the E 1/3 of the US in 2015-6 would be a lot lower than it would be for a weak to low end moderate based on history though a largely near normal winter would be very much in play.

The warmer subsurface argument hasn't worked that well in previous years, and at this forecast range, I'd lean heavily on statistics until we can get a better handle on progression a few months from now. A peak of +0.7c to +1.2c is most likely based upon historical similarities. There's a chance we end up stronger than that, though a very low one I'd say.

Looking like we have a good shot at the first two year El Nino event since 1950 where the first year highest

tri monthly through JFM is under +1.0  and the second year is above +1.0.

IF we get a trimonthly peak later this year of , say, +1.4+, I'd probably consider these 2nd year Nino's as the best analogs ENSOwise at least:

1940-1, 1905-6, and 1896-7

None of these three were overall cold winters for the E 1/3 of the US. The best shot at that would be if the upcoming peak is weak to low end moderate a la 1977-8, 1969-70, 1958-9, 1914-5, and 1885-6.

Looking like we have a good shot the first two year El Nino event since 1950 where the first year highest

tri monthly through JFM is under +1.0  and the second year highest is above +1.0.

the JMA index was higher than I thought...it dropped off a bit since the peak...second year events 1877-78, 1889-90 and 1996-97 were stronger...if it's a weak event again next year 1969-70, 1977-78 and 2003-04 would be analogs...

https://coaps.fsu.edu/jma

:thumbsup:

WSI blog entry gives an interpretation of the April Euro ENSO plume forecasts from recent years and states, "This analysis confirms our idea that we are in for a stronger El Nino event than what occurred last year, but not as strong as what the raw ECMWF model is showing."

ecm_ssts.gif

Not sure how one can "confirm" much of anything at 6 month lead time, but "A" for effort.

Archived