SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
update on DEC 21 possible winter storm

DTWXRISK

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Para xbox GFS joins the euro sort of. Closer to the coast and warmer for the coastal plain, doesn't cut east like the euro.

Canadian almost joins the club with a storm just outside the benchmark.

UKMET pretty much on board

Sleepless nights ahead

UKMET a cutter and would flood us with warmth,  primary over PIT. 

Other models are trending more toward the ECMWF. Old GFS is still garbage, new one is coming around along with the CMC. Any doubts should be gone about a storm. Main concern is this tracks up the west slopes of the apps wich floods us with mild air. Several EC ensemble members and the UKMET support this.  

ABOUT THE   HUGE  SHIFT  IN THE 12Z  CMC   FROM THE 0Z  CMC

One of the really big rules that needs to be followed in the weather business ( especially we are forecasting in the medium range) is the **RULE OF 1 SOLUTION*** .

Let's say you have five different weather models and all 5 are showing something different. Model A is you a big snowstorm....Model B gives you small snowstorm...... Model C gives you rain... and Model D gives you no precip at all and MODEL E says sunny. For those who do not know the ways of science this can seem all too confusing. But when you have a situation where the other weather models begin to move towards ONE particular solution -- in this case MODEL A... it is often very significant that the original solution that has been showing up for last several model runs by MODEL A ....is far more likely to end up being correct.

In this particular case this is exactly was going on with the midday Canadian here. Typically there are some forecasters and weather hobbyists that will fight this trend and say well it doesn't mean much.. Or they will make the argument that that still does not prove the European solution is going to be correct. However those making such an argument are simply telling me that have no idea what they are doing .

post-9415-0-43290500-1418667543_thumb.jp

THE  12Z EURO IS   south    BECAUSE  at  126  hrs     the 12z  euro STILL has the 50/ 50 Low  in place over se canada... that in turn forces southern  Low to stay More south  great for dt LAND..  but  I think this is wrong...I dont think the 50/50 low will stay there   THAT  long  

One thing I'm watching is if the first shortwave coming out of the plains Thursday is stronger and as a result the weekend storm is weaker. Large difference between old and new GFS. The Old has a primary which makes it up to BGM while the new is a decent track. Still thinking NW trend on average and not ruling out primary to PIT, good news with that is many of the EC ensemble members that had a northern primary don't have it anymore making it more unlikely. 

I'll second that....snowing Saturday evening/night would be fine as well. For me at this point it's more about having a snow event, even if a modest one.

I'll third that...any snow on the ground this time of year is a win. Plenty of time for some big ones. Even some time for this to come around to something more.

Archived