Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Obs Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went and followed up a little on Snowstorm's complaint about KATL only having 2 freezes this month.  Cartersville airport is just down the road and over a mountain from me but I run a degree or two colder most mornings.  We will finish the month right at +3.6 mainly thanks to the first few days of December.  The thing that sticks out most is that we had 16 mornings at or below freezing with several more just above.  I'm a good 50-60 minutes north of KATL but it still shows just how bad it had gotten.

Picked up .06" yesterday in the drizzle and occasional very light rain. That ends up giving us exactly 63.00 inches for the year! Pretty incredible, considering there were no tropical systems to pump up the totals. Had a very heavy ground frost this morning --- first time in quite a while. We've had a lot of frost this fall/winter, but it's all been rooftop and car top. Nice to see the sun shining again.

Just saw this on my Earthlink homepage... via twc news...

2014 will go down in the record books as the second wettest year in the Triangle. That is based on information from the Southeast Regional Climate Center and records kept for the official weather reporting site for the Triangle located at the Raleigh-Durham Airport. 55.25" of rain was measured there through 2014. That is almost a foot above the average rainfall for the year in the Triangle.

The wettest year on record for Raleigh-Durham was 1996 when 59.14" of rain fell. Hurricane Bertha and Hurricane Fran contributed to the large amount of rain that year. Over 10 inches of rain fell in parts of the Triangle just during Hurricane Fran.

In 2014, the wettest month for Raleigh-Durham was July with 8.96". That was followed by August, which was the second wettest month with 6.87".

Other parts of the state were not as wet as the Triangle. For the year, Greensboro only saw 36.36" of rain. That makes 2014 the 19th driest year on record for the Triad. Charlotte recorded 45.46" of rain and Fayetteville measured 49.78" for the year.

Wilmington did measure more rain than Raleigh for 2014 with an annual total of 59.77". That was only about two inches above the average annual rainfall in Wilmington. Coastal parts of North Carolina typically see more rain in a year than the Piedmont.

Weather records for the Raleigh-Durham Airport have been kept since 1944. Weather records are available from other locations around the Triangle dating back to 1887. Those weather records were not all taken at the same location. However, if the records dating back to 1887 are taken into account, 2014 is the 11th wettest year on record for the Raleigh area.

- See more at: http://centralnc.twcnews.com/content/news/triangle/715419/2014--second-wettest-year-on-record-for-raleigh-durham/#sthash.awyRilCG.dpuf

My precip total for the year is just 32.92".  That's 6+" below normal.  The Greensboro airport reports 36.36" for the year.  The difference is due to thunderstorms that trained over the airport last summer.  At the time it put the GSO total 7" above mine. Despite the below average rainfall, plants and grass managed to stay green due to the fact the precip was fairly evenly spread over the year.  We never had a really long period of no rain.  

Archived