SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minor snowstorm incoming. The models have no love for Fort Collins. There seems to be good agreement on 4-8" for the Colorado mountains, as well as central Wyoming. The NWS expects 8-12" for the high mountains.

I think 1-3" of snow in the Denver area. (1-2" shown here on the 4km NAM snow plot.)  I expect several areas of flurries to 2" in eastern Colorado.

Rain, changing to 4-6" of snow looks possible from North Platte Nebraska, to central South Dakota. There seems to be some uncertainty for Kansas/Nebraska as to exact snow amounts and rain/snow transition.

post-1182-0-17127800-1418511529_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-95459500-1418511595_thumb.pn

Hi all,

Just joined up to add a little variety to the Western WX forum. Used to post alot on EasternWX when I lived in the Appalachians of NC. 

Anyways, have had snow since about 730 am today. Added up to about 2.5 inches so far, still falling steadily. 

Pattern is looking decent through Christmas, with the GFS and EURO hinting at a Christmas storm. 

Denver has been +9.5F for this month

----

AVERAGE MONTHLY: 40.0   DPTR FM NORMAL:   9.5  

----

Cheyenne has been +11.0F for this month.

heavy snow report from Scottsbluff County

---

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHEYENNE WY   925 AM MST MON DEC 15 2014     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    0800 AM     HEAVY SNOW       MCGREW                  41.75N 103.42W   12/15/2014  M13.0 INCH       SCOTTS BLUFF       NE   BROADCAST MEDIA   

Hi all,

Just joined up to add a little variety to the Western WX forum. Used to post alot on EasternWX when I lived in the Appalachians of NC. 

Anyways, have had snow since about 730 am today. Added up to about 2.5 inches so far, still falling steadily. 

Pattern is looking decent through Christmas, with the GFS and EURO hinting at a Christmas storm. 

Welcome! We could use a few on the board in the South Metro area. We had about 2.5 to 3" total, depending on whether you believe the front or the back yard. Started at 7 and ended right on schedule about 4 PM. Would be nice to get some more- finally felt like winter this AM!

Where were you in NC? I spent time in the Appalachians there way back in the late 80s-early 90s when I was in school- hiking a lot and lived a month in Blowing Rock. Skied the slush of Beech Mountain and thereabouts several times.

The ECMWF and GFS are showing a big storm for Christmas around the Wyoming/Colorado border. (Shortwave moving out of Idaho and Utah.) The 12z GFS has about 0.5" in 48 hours for my area. Since this storm barely existed on the models yesterday or the day before, I will wait to post more about this. It could be quite wrong. It seems reasonable to think that the 850mb temps in this region will drop to -5C around this time.

The ECMWF and GFS are showing a big storm for Christmas around the Wyoming/Colorado border. (Shortwave moving out of Idaho and Utah.) The 12z GFS has about 0.5" in 48 hours for my area. Since this storm barely existed on the models yesterday or the day before, I will wait to post more about this. It could be quite wrong. It seems reasonable to think that the 850mb temps in this region will drop to -5C around this time.

From BOU:

FOR SUNDAY EVENING INTO MONDAY THE MOIST NORTHWEST FLOW COMBINED

WITH THE UPPER LEVEL JET AND DECENT LAPSE RATES FROM 7-8 C/KM WILL

PROVIDE FOR A DECENT SNOW MAKER FOR THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS. THE

ONLY ISSUE FOR SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING ARE THE TEMPERATURES.

MODELS ARE INDICATING THAT NORTHERN MOUNTAINS TO START WILL BE ON

THE WARMER SIDE OF THE JET WITH TEMPS IN THE 20S AT MOUNTAIN TOP.

THIS HAS STILL PROVEN TO PRODUCE DECENT AMOUNTS OF SNOW IN THE

PAST BUT COULD ALSO MEAN A MORE SLUSHY WET SNOW THAT WOULD NOT

ACCUMULATE AS MUCH OVERNIGHT. FOR MONDAY HOWEVER TEMPERATURES AT

700 MB COOL CONSIDERABLY INCREASING POTENTIAL FOR INCREASED SNOW

FALL. CURRENT MODELS ARE INDICATING 2 TO 3 INCHES OF WATER FOR THE

ENTIRETY OF THE STORM SUNDAY INTO TUESDAY...WHICH COULD EQUATE TO

POSSIBLE WATCH CRITERIA STARTING SUNDAY SO WILL BE KEEPING A CLOSE

EYE ON MODEL DEVELOPMENT. WINDS WILL INCREASE OVER THE MOUNTAINS

WITH THE PLACEMENT OF THE UPPER LEVEL JET. MODEL CROSS SECTIONS

ARE CURRENTLY INDICATING COMPONENT ALONG OF 60 TO 70 MPH AT

MOUNTAIN TOP MONDAY MORNING. THIS COMBINED WITH THE SNOWFALL OVER

THE MOUNTAINS COULD CREATE BLOWING SNOW AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES

FOR HOLIDAY AND WEEKEND TRAVELERS.

THE BIG STORY HOWEVER IS WILL IT SNOW ON CHRISTMAS...

CURRENT MODEL RUNS ARE CONTINUING TO INDICATE A VERY GOOD CHANCE

OF ACCUMULATING SNOW ON THURSDAY AND INTO FRIDAY. AN UPPER LEVEL

TROUGH WILL DROP OUT OF THE NORTHWEST BRINGING LOTS OF MOISTURE

AND COLD AIR. CURRENT QG FORECASTS ARE VERY PROMISING WITH THE EC

INDICATING -35 MB/HR OVER NERN COLORADO. DECIDED TO GO WITH

CHANCE POPS WITH DECENT LIKELIHOOD OF SEEING SOME SNOW BUT WILL

WAIT ON MENTIONING SNOW AMOUNTS UNTIL LATER MODEL RUNS.

GFS and Euro have actually been hinting at this from 10+ days out already. There has been a good amount of an agreement that unsettled weather potentially would be present before,on, or after Christmas. 

Tonight's 00z ECMWF is highly encouraging with a temperatures quickly dropping to -8C or -10C with the front and a broad brush 4-8" of snow (just guessing based on the QPF.) The 00z GFS has done something different. It has a fairly dry low pressure that drops from Wyoming to Kansas. (850mb temps drop to -3C or -6C).

Tonight's 00z ECMWF is highly encouraging with a temperatures quickly dropping to -8C or -10C with the front and a broad brush 4-8" of snow (just guessing based on the QPF.) The 00z GFS has done something different. It has a fairly dry low pressure that drops from Wyoming to Kansas. (850mb temps drop to -3C or -6C).

Very to little model support for the Euro, sadly.

Northwest flow forever! Seems like real moisture combined with real widespread upslope lasting longer than a few minutes is a myth for the past few years. Oh yeah, in the winter I mean... forgot about Sept 2013.

My first winter living in Central OR has certainly been wetter than I expected.  I am happy for all the moisture just wish it was colder for the snowpack.

We wound up with about 0.2" rain (the ground was happy) followed by about 1" snow, then things froze and got all crunchy. Reminded me of back East. Perfect for animal tracks this AM- saw bunny, raccoon, fox, mouse- deer and coyotes weren't up yet I guess. Lots of relatives coming in on 12/26 and 12/28 so would be nice to have a storm before or after. Might actually cooperate after, I'm skeptical about before.

Archived