SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worthy of note: the models have 3 more storms for our area within 240 hours. It looks like a 3-6" storm in the mountains Wednesday, with some 1-3" or spotty snowfall totals in the low elevations. Then Sat-Sun and Tue-Wed of next week might be something to talk about in the next few days.

THE NEXT COLD FRONT AND UPPER TROF WILL MOVE OVER COLORADO
ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON WITH DEEPENING MOISTURE AND SOME UPSLOPE
FLOW. COULD BE BURST OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW BEHIND THE FRONT
WITH STEEP LAPSE RATES AND EVEN SOME SURFACE BASED CAPE. NOT VERY
GOOD TIMING AS THIS MAY COINCIDE WITH EVENING RUSH HOUR. AT THIS
TIME...2-4 INCHES OVER THE URBAN CORRIDOR AND A BIT MORE OVER THE
FOOTHILLS. PERSISTENT LIGHT SNOW LIKELY TO CONTINUE THROUGH
WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND EVEN ON THURSDAY WITH LIGHT EASTERLY UPSLOPE
FLOW AND WEAK QG ASCENT. TEMPERATURES WILL BECOME MUCH COLDER
AGAIN FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WITH READINGS ONLY IN THE 20S ACROSS
THE PLAINS.

LOOKS LIKE A BRIEF BREAK FROM THE SNOW FOR A TIME FRIDAY AND
EARLY SATURDAY BEFORE THE NEXT SYSTEM AND COLD FRONT DROPS INTO
THE GREAT BASIN ON SATURDAY. MORE SNOW POSSIBLE AGAIN FROM
SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY

Likely we'll be in the pink numbers before long, given that we have the snowiest part of winter yet to come. Looks like the left column is total seasonal snowfall and the right is DFN (so average of those seasons DFN gets you the -14.78).

Got the shovel out on Sunday... first time in a while! Rust on the snowpile. :)

Likely we'll be in the pink numbers before long, given that we have the snowiest part of winter yet to come. Looks like the left column is total seasonal snowfall and the right is DFN (so average of those seasons DFN gets you the -14.78).

Got the shovel out on Sunday... first time in a while! Rust on the snowpile. :)

That's what I hoped, but the average departure from normal is 11.8, as it should be. It's a head scratcher.

Wow, what an epic pattern for the CO slopes, but especially the southern slopes! :snowing:

That's >12" of snow for about 2/3 of the state, >24" for almost 1/3 of the state, and >48" for a fairly large chunk of real estate over the next 8 days.  It's not just GFS, ECMWF looks just as good.

I'm using my snow-tractor beam to pull in the 107.2" (as seen in the lower right hand corner)

I don't know how we managed to be one of the wettest places in the country, relative to normal, in the last 90 days. It seems like we had lots of sunshine and warm temperatures. Maybe we had decent water content with the snow that hit us. Note: South Platte drainage basin back up above 100% of normal snowpack.
90dPNormUS.png

That's what I hoped, but the average departure from normal is 11.8, as it should be. It's a head scratcher.

Go figure. Guess somebody goofed.

Anyway, got some really heavy snow late this PM, about as heavy as I've seen in my 4+ years here, but so much melted that it only accumulated on the old snow to much of an extent. Got like 2" of slush but about 4" on the old snow. Guess I need a white snowboard to minimize heat absorption- I use an old piece of plywood.

Go figure. Guess somebody goofed.

Anyway, got some really heavy snow late this PM, about as heavy as I've seen in my 4+ years here, but so much melted that it only accumulated on the old snow to much of an extent. Got like 2" of slush but about 4" on the old snow. Guess I need a white snowboard to minimize heat absorption- I use an old piece of plywood.

I goofed.  :arrowhead:

Just grab a quart of white exterior paint and paint that puppy. It'll be all set.

A couple more radar images last night, showing the snow bands that hit Denver. At my house, I got about 1". It barely covered up the grass that was showing, since the snow from Sunday melted in sunny areas.

That band was more impressive for a short period of time than the Christmas Eve 2009 Blizzard in OKC.

After a slim 2.1" at DIA, they now stand at 42.5" of snow for the season, 7.2" above normal through this point in the year. We were below normal until the active February - 4th most February snow all-time - which has caused some contention on the NWS Boulder facebook page:

attachicon.gifbouface.PNG

It's true, DIA is generally terrible for snowfall compared to most of the metro area, including the old Stapleton spot.

Archived