Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Thanksgiving Eve Nor'Easter OBS ONLY

TeleConnectSnow

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wright weather?

The first internet group devoted to the weather around here was the newsgroup, ne.weather.  Great newsgroup until it was overrun by the Pests...a bunch of internet trolls.  One of their leading targets, a met from NE PA, passed away at an early age during the last decade. 

Joe B from NEPA ... it's interesting being a long time lurker ... better than reality tv

The first internet group devoted to the weather around here was the newsgroup, ne.weather.  Great newsgroup until it was overrun by the Pests...a bunch of internet trolls.  One of their leading targets, a met from NE PA, passed away at an early age during the last decade. 

Hi Pamela, 

That brought back memories. I remember DT taking quite a beatin on the board. One fellow i believe with the name Ziggy wielded quite a hammer. He probably would not have lasted half a page on this forum.The fellow that passed was onre of his main targets. Your pisture is beautiful and I mean that respectfully.

Rich

Jack Ziegler. I think from the Harrisburg area.

Hi Pamela,

That brought back memories. I remember DT taking quite a beatin on the board. One fellow i believe with the name Ziggy wielded quite a hammer. He probably would not have lasted half a page on this forum.The fellow that passed was onre of his main targets. Your pisture is beautiful and I mean that respectfully.

Rich

Mitch,

I'm on Thompkins Place, between Kane and Degraw, Court and Clinton. I remember you posting and very young DT posting on an eastern (not sure of the name) forum over 15 years ago. It was a pretty good before the caziness started. 

Rich

Joe B from NEPA ... it's interesting being a long time lurker ... better than reality tv

Sad he passed away may he rest in peace.

Wtf ! Still all rain here man what a few miles will do! Waiting for the last push

Its still 36.2 F here...so by the time it gets cold enough to accumulate...it will likely be too late.

Although intensity of the snowfall is a factor (plus if it is during the daytime and the season)...I usually need a sub 34 F two meter temp out here for the snow to accumulate. 

The best total I could find in the Mt Holly PNS was 11.0 inches at Highland Lakes, NJ. 

...and the best total I could find in the Albany PNS was 13.6 inches at Peru...which is in Berkshire County Massachusetts and perched at roughly 2000 feet above sea level. I know there was a station at nearby Cummington Hill...not sure about Peru...but at that altitude...annual snowfall in that town would probably be in the range of 10 feet.  Norfolk, off to the southwest and in Litchfield County, CT has a long term annual snowfall mean of about 95 inches; and they are at least 700 feet lower. To the north, across the stateline in Vermont...there is a small town in the Green Mountains called Readsboro (elevation 1,122 feet)...just a few miles from Bennington...but much higher up and and twice as snowy. 

IIRC, back in early March 1947...one of the greatest snowfalls in that part of SNE took place.  Though it was mostly rain in the valleys, Readsboro measured 50 inches of new snow from March 2nd to March 6th, 1947.  This brought the depth of snow on the ground to an unfathomable 80 inches.  Peru measured 47 inches of new snow over that 4 day span.  Both stations reported more than 4 inches liquid equivalent. 

Think I might have seen a few legitimate flakes but I'll have to leave it as undetermined for this event. The showery crap that came through kept flipping from rain and sleet. Not counting it as confirmed first flakes down here in the winter graveyard. Even my poor expectations didn't quite keep up with the suckfest this was for the immediate coast.

Archived