Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal Part Deux

DDweatherman

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think wxbell is doing anything to make the maps snowier they just aren't filtering very sophisticcatedly. It seems most apparent on the euro which apparently just has an off/on variable for snow.

All the math lines up on the RGEM to account for the output of snow, but I'm not completely convinced the 2m temps will drop that quickly. I tend to side with the NAM's (bold words) progression of tomorrow's cold front.

my guess is, the rates do it on the RGEM,,,,can be no other explanation

hence, if rates fail even a little, forget the colder temps and greater snow amounts

All the math lines up on the RGEM to account for the output of snow, but I'm not completely convinced the 2m temps will drop that quickly. I tend to side with the NAM's (bold words) progression of tomorrow's cold front.

It shows 33 through the corridor at 15z and heavy rates during the window. 1" qpf through the cities. Is it too cold? Probabl. But I personally give it more cred than the nam/gfs. Rgem fared a good bit better at short leads last year. I'm not tossing it

It shows 33 through the corridor at 15z and heavy rates during the window. 1" qpf through the cities. Is it too cold? Probabl. But I personally give it more cred than the nam/gfs. Rgem fared a good bit better at short leads last year. I'm not tossing it

I wouldn't recommend tossing it either. At this point, we're honestly nitpicking about some of the finer points. Save for foreign (and some local) unreliables, there isn't a model out there that's too far from the other. But each model derives its own input (part a), so the math can add up to create the output - but that doesn't mean part "a" was right in the first place.

Nevertheless, it's not like we're looking at one side of the fence printing soaking rain and no snow and the other printing out 8-12" - we've got a better consensus than we could ask for. Especially given the weather these last few days.

I wouldn't recommend tossing it either. At this point, we're honestly nitpicking about some of the finer points. Save for foreign (and some local) unreliables, there isn't a model out there that's too far from the other. But each model derives its own input (part a), so the math can add up to create the output - but that doesn't mean part "a" was right in the first place.

Nevertheless, it's not like we're looking at one side of the fence printing soaking rain and no snow and the other printing out 8-12" - we've got a better consensus than we could ask for. Especially given the weather these last few days.

Totally agree. It comes down to the disco we had in here yesterday. Rates are the wildcard. Surface is flawed. American guidance is trending wetter.Eur globals and Can short range are 1"+ across the board. We've been here before. I'm confident the American guidance is too dry. Temps and rates are best left to discuss tomorrow

the GFS qpf seems off with this set up, looking at 700mb vertical velocity the gravity waves seem way over done, this may be the culprit regarding the low qpf totals, i have trouble imagining that strong of UVM and DVM in such a short period, and i don't see it as pronounced in the other models as it is in the GFS, this probably means it's likely a model artifact. I would lean toward higher qpf.

But the western jog seems very possible, we'll have to see how strong the initial convective over the gulf states is, the stronger the convective actively is the further west the system will be pulled.  

GFS has had pronounced gravity waves last few runs. Wonder how much it's messing with QPF. 

edit: maybe HM brought this up earlier here.. too many place to read.

fLVvO4f.gif

haha way ahead of man, lol spent the last 15 minutes checking this out, post, and then read the comments I missed and bam!

this is indeed what I am also thinking. 

Archived