Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The +PDO December composite was much different from this December. Neither the October

-AO analogs nor the November +PDO analogs worked out for December. 

attachicon.gif14.gif

attachicon.gifCOMP.png

Isolating December rather than taking DJF masks some of the inter-year variability, however.

Of those years, when we look at the mean 500mb composite of 1959, 1986, 1987, and 1993, for December, it was similar to this December. And these years were cold for the USA when taking the DJF mean. Point being, December 2014's pattern is far from a death sentence for this winter's temperatures or pattern.

wmlbvd.png

Another sad weenie gfs run. It has nothing but cutters then cold and dry then back to cutter. I hope this doesn't end up the type of winter where it always looks good far away but when you get closer it stinks.

i have been saying this for a while now the pattern has been for cutters since thanksgiving and there's nothing strong enough modeled yet to change that, however I am still holding out hope that things will change being that El Niño is a blackened winter threat, I just feel bad for the people who thought we were going to get a year like last year

i have been saying this for a while now the pattern has been for cutters since thanksgiving and there's nothing strong enough modeled yet to change that, however I am still holding out hope that things will change being that El Niño is a blackened winter threat, I just feel bad for the people who thought we were going to get a year like last year

Yeah records are hard to break for a reason.

Latest GFSx shows    1.  No below normal temps. on any of the next 7 days.

2.   An anomaly of,  +12.5degs. --- more suitable for the third week of a normal Nov.   

3.  Making the last 2 days of the month have an anomaly of -7degs?, I think we will finish Dec. at  about  +2.3 ---- +2.7.

right now 1986-87 is the best analog of the bunch...It didn't get going until the second half of January...it had a three or four week period of snow and cold...

Funny you say that.

I started the season with 1976-'77 as my two main analogs, and upon seeing the progression of January, have taken a liking to 1965-'66 (I believe, don't have data in front of me) and 1986-'87.

Man at this juncture those above normal snowfall forecasts look questionable. IF we dont get down some measurable snow after christmas and first 10 days of january its gonna be difficult the rest of the season IMO. Im optomistic about this year still but with NAO being less and less influential and the AO not being as negative we are down the EPO.

Man at this juncture those above normal snowfall forecasts look questionable. IF we dont get down some measurable snow after christmas and first 10 days of january its gonna be difficult the rest of the season IMO. Im optomistic about this year still but with NAO being less and less influential and the AO not being as negative we are down the EPO.

EPO can often trump the other teleconnections so if the euro and gfs are to be believed, we *should* be into a pattern featuring a large western EPO ridge at least for a short period of time. You might have seen my posts from last week targeting the 12/28-1/5 period? I think this is our best shot for some widespread snows. If the pattern fails to deliver, I may have to check the free agent market for a punter.

Bad MJO phases can be overcome . But without a NEG EPO/AO it really can`t happen . Root those 2 on or we go back to a holding pattern after the 10th .

I agree paul, IF we get nothing up to the 10th it'll then be time to look towards end of january-early february. Not bad for me since it wont be bone cold then. Rather it be warmer if its not gonna snow, thats my personal preference

Funny you say that.

I started the season with 1976-'77 as my two main analogs, and upon seeing the progression of January, have taken a liking to 1965-'66 (I believe, don't have data in front of me) and 1986-'87.

But CFSv2 weeklies show just a small patch of sub normal 500mb gph in the 3rd. week and then back to above normal heights throughout country and cold locked in Canada.    I think I will soon be invoking the term I invented for the '82-83 winter  "THE TEN DAY WINTER".    Everything winterlike occured in the second week of Feb.

For the lovers of the GFS here is the 6z ensemble 2m temps anomalies with a NEG AO  .

The warmer Euro shows that the AO actually goes POS . 

The longer range JMA weeklies and Euro weeklies were hinting at a colder pattern setting up for the first week of

January relative to the last week of December. Now the week 2 ensembles have been catching on to a shift

to milder again by around January 7th which the weeklies were showing. The big deviation from the October

-AO/ snow cover signal was that a -AO didn't develop as scheduled by December.This week is very telling

in that the models have backed off the projected -AO drop strength. So the models forecasting a generally

+AO to start January would mean that the Western Atlantic Ridge would build back in for the second 

week of January. 

Freezing Rain Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
300 AM EST MON DEC 22 2014

NJZ001-PAZ054-055-222300-
/O.NEW.KPHI.ZR.Y.0006.141222T2300Z-141223T0900Z/
SUSSEX-CARBON-MONROE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG
300 AM EST MON DEC 22 2014

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
4 AM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A FREEZING
RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM
EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHWEST NEW
JERSEY.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A TRACE TO A COUPLE OF HUNDREDTHS OF AN
INCH.

* TIMING...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN MAY MIX WITH SLEET OR SNOW EARLY
THIS EVENING BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO ALL FREEZING RAIN THROUGH
THE EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. THE FREEZING RAIN IS
EXPECTED TO CHANGE OVER TO ALL RAIN BY DAYBREAK TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS AT TIMES TONIGHT,
ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS AND ALSO ON BRIDGES AND
OVERPASSES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOW 30S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR
FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
306 AM EST MON DEC 22 2014

...FREEZING RAIN LIKELY TONIGHT FOR ORANGE COUNTY...

NYZ067-221700-
/O.NEW.KOKX.ZR.Y.0005.141222T2300Z-141223T0900Z/
ORANGE-
306 AM EST MON DEC 22 2014

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
4 AM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A FREEZING
RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM
EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ORANGE COUNTY.

* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...AROUND A TRACE.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 MPH OR LESS.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

* TIMING...FREEZING RAIN DEVELOPS EARLY THIS EVENING AND CHANGES
TO PLAIN RAIN PRIOR TO DAYBREAK ON TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS EXPECTED THIS EVENING AND
THROUGH MOST OF TONIGHT DUE TO TEMPERATURES FALLING BELOW
FREEZING AND WIDESPREAD DEVELOPMENT OF ICY ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR
FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

&&

$

MPS

Great winter going down the drain?

It's not looking good, I think that much is obvious.  No -NAO (what's it going to take to get a -NAO around here?  Seems like it's been years) and EPO ridge breaks down fast and we get Pac Jet and terrible MJO phases...If we don't get something b/w 1/1 and 1/10, we could be toast until 2/1 at least.  Ugly.

It's not looking good, I think that much is obvious. No -NAO (what's it going to take to get a -NAO around here? Seems like it's been years) and EPO ridge breaks down fast and we get Pac Jet and terrible MJO phases...If we don't get something b/w 1/1 and 1/10, we could be toast until 2/1 at least. Ugly.

Honestly whether we "cash in" or not in the Jan 1-10th period i would welcome a torch and warm for january if its not gonna snow. I HATE when its sunny and bone cold, useless cold air with no precip is a kick in the nuts. I would have no issue having a few upper 50-lower 60's days in january ;)

Honestly whether we "cash in" or not in the Jan 1-10th period i would welcome a torch and warm for january if its not gonna snow. I HATE when its sunny and bone cold, useless cold air with no precip is a kick in the nuts. I would have no issue having a few upper 50-lower 60's days in january ;)

If we get a +EPO, AO and NAO with MJO moving through 3-6, you might get your wish.

The main problem continues to be the terrible location of the Pacific jet stream. We needed a trough that went negative tilt quickly and helped to retrograde the Christmas Eve surface low towards the Western lakes. In reality, the system is going to end up much further East and weaker than it appeared five days ago. As you can see on last night's 00z ECMWF run, the energy pouring into the Pacific NW is knocking down the Western ridge and deamplifying the downstream pattern.

f72.gif

f96.gif

The good news is that looking ahead, the long range Euro is once again showing a somewhat favorable pattern with a coastal low moving into the 50/50 position by day 9 which helps to lock in some cold air over southeast Canada with another southern stream system approaching by day 10.

f216.gif

f240.gif

At least with an El Nino the steady train of southern stream systems is going to continue, so if you can briefly get the chips to fall into place, the likelyhood of something significant is high.

Might as well. Once the weenie rage passes it'll be time to embrace the positives like lower heating bills, good traffic conditions, no shoveling. If I know the winter will suck I root for an epic historical torch for the winter like 70s in January and early blossoming flowers.

The main problem continues to be the terrible location of the Pacific jet stream. We needed a trough that went negative tilt quickly and helped to retrograde the Christmas Eve surface low towards the Western lakes. In reality, the system is going to end up much further East and weaker than it appeared five days ago. As you can see on last night's 00z ECMWF run, the energy pouring into the Pacific NW is knocking down the Western ridge and deamplifying the downstream pattern.

f72.gif

f96.gif

The good news is that looking ahead, the long range Euro is once again showing a somewhat favorable pattern with a coastal low moving into the 50/50 position by day 9 which helps to lock in some cold air over southeast Canada with another southern stream system approaching by day 10.

f216.gif

f240.gif

At least with an El Nino the steady train of southern stream systems is going to continue, so if you can briefly get the chips to fall into place, the likelyhood of something significant is high.

I agree with you're last statement.

I think inland areas are still in for a great winter. With multiple snow events in January. The problem was, is and will continue to be at the coast. These moist miller A's are just not going to get it done without perfectly placed cold air sources. To much cold and we get suppression which could be an issue at some point.

This is going to be a 50 miles N and W of the city winter

Even PBI is hedging his bets... and Yanks is clinging to approaching southern streamers at D10.

It's gotten bad in here. Several weeks ago, this was to be our prime period.

As long as the SECS and MECS show up in day ten forecasts on models to dissappear by seven days out.. Well, as in the words of Annie, "tomorrow is only a day away"

Archived