• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wednesday into Turkey Day Storm

Animal

I am asking as in what do you mean by you only remember once? Once when? November? If so, it is late November. It has happened before (see link although not same setup). If banding sets up areas will cool rapidly at surface. Models have hard time picking this up. Everything above 1000mb is below freezing. Not saying this will be a high accumulation event in extreme SEPA, but to dismiss it completely makes little sense. JMO

http://philadelphiaweather.blogspot.com/2007/11/november-1953-snowstorm.html?m=1

It was before Thanksgiving, I'm thinking '77/78 maybe. I remember playing street hockey in it and realizing it wasn't meteorological winter yet, great times had. Yeah banding can set up and you're right it's hard to forecast however for me personally I'm not getting excited about this for any accumulating snow due to it being early in the season.

Thanks for the link, nice read.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man it's pretty warm out still. 6"+ in the forcast. I'll believe it when I see it. Unless it pours snow much will melt on contact especially roadways.

Temp really hasn't moved since 7am this morning....stuck in the 52-53 range. Not sure if it matters but it's been overcast all day so no sun has been cooking the black asphalt...maybe kept it a little cooler.

I see two positives on the storm.  It will start as rain then maybe change to snow instead of visa versa and a good part of it will be during daylight.  An ideal snowstorm for me would be if it started at around 7 am and snowed hard until about 6 pm.  Then all of the roads and my driveway would be snow free the next morning.  I know, keep dreaming.

As a side note, the New York Metro subforum has become unbearable again.

it appears that ABC6 and NBC10 will have very different snow predictions based on their intros at 4pm...

6 has it changing to snow by evening in the city whereas 10 has it switching over by noon...

will be interesting to see how this works out and what their accum projections will be!!!

Well, here's Glenn's map at 4:25pm:

post-513-0-55858600-1416950822_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-35341600-1416950836_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-11297100-1416951039_thumb.jpg

YES... per my prior post...

Hurricane has me in 5-8" and city 3-5" with snow by 10 am there!!

6 has me and city as 1-3"

Yeah, the line dividing the 1" to 3" area from the 3" to 6" area on Channel 6's forecast puts only the NW third of Bucks and Montgomery Counties and far northern Chester county in 3" to 6".  That's about 20 miles NW of where I'd place it.

You're full of shiet...you want more!

haha you know me too well, of COURSE I want more, but honestly all we have on our side is the RGEM...As much as I respect Glenn I don't think Philly has a chance in hell to hit 3" but there's a reason he's on TV and not me lol...

I think 6 ABC's forecast is spot on....

Looking at the RGEM might get you excited, but remember even if .8" of snow fell we have TERRIBLE ratios, plus we'd waste a lot to non-accumulating snow, so .8" QPF as snow would probably still translate to 1-4"

haha you know me too well, of COURSE I want more, but honestly all we have on our side is the RGEM...As much as I respect Glenn I don't think Philly has a chance in hell to hit 3" but there's a reason he's on TV and not me lol...

I think 6 ABC's forecast is spot on....

Looking at the RGEM might get you excited, but remember even if .8" of snow fell we have TERRIBLE ratios, plus we'd waste a lot to non-accumulating snow, so .8" QPF as snow would probably still translate to 1-4"

It all depends on the changeover time. A 2 hour difference either way will screw up the totals if under heavy precip. Gotta watch temps/DP tonight...down to 47.1 from 53F.. 2 hours ago.

Archived