• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
T-day eve possible SE winter storm (11/26/14)

GaWx

The last two Euro runs have shown major snow for parts of NC for 11/26. Also, 2 of the last

4 GFS runs (12Z & 18Z) have shown sig. snow for part of NE NC. Because we're getting rather close and with discussions here now being dominated by this threat, I created this thread to keep it separate from general pattern and overall winter outlook discussions since we really have no place other than the winter pattern discussion thread for those types of posts.

This is obviously more of a threat to NC than to anyone else as of now. However, even part of SC (especially NW) as well as the NE GA mtns.could get something sig.

Good luck!

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last two Euro runs have shown major snow for parts of NC for 11/26. Also, 2 of the last

4 GFS runs (12Z & 18Z) have shown sig. snow for part of NE NC. Because we're getting rather close and with discussions here now being dominated by this threat, I created this thread to keep it separate from general pattern and overall winter outlook discussions since we really have no place other than the winter pattern discussion thread for those types of posts.

This is obviously more of a threat to NC than to anyone else as of now. However, even part of SC (especially NW) as well as the NE GA mtns.could get something sig.

Good luck!

Just a cold rain in Atlanta i'm guessing.

Cold rain is in the Raleigh area, I believe!

Good job Larry, bring the mojo! How's GSP looking?

No, you're mixed up with Rain Cold. Thanks. So far, I've seen no 1"+ accum.'s for NW SC on any clown from my provider (mine only for 1"+) though I suspect <1" would show there if modeled.

By the way, since this isn't a CAD setup, I don't have a big problem with Euro clowns right now.

RAH too, for that matter. 

Them just mentioning this is about all you ask at this point:

<clipped long range discussion>

THE RESULT WOULD BE RAIN DEVELOPING FROM THE SOUTH LATE TUE AND

ESPECIALLY TUE NIGHT...WITH A COLD RAIN LIKELY AND  TEMPERATURES IN

THE UPPER 30S TO MIDDLE 40S...ON WED. THOUGH THE AFOREMENTIONED

PARENT POLAR HIGH IS FORECAST TO BE RELATIVELY WEAK (AROUND 1025 MB)

AND POSITIONED FARTHER SOUTH (OVER THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC STATES) THAN

IS TYPICAL FOR SNOW IN CENTRAL NC...THE TRACK OF THE COASTAL LOW AND

RESULTANT PARTIAL THICKNESSES ON THE WEST/NW SIDE SUGGEST AT LEAST A

THREAT OF A LITTLE WEST SNOW MIXING IN WITH THE RAIN OVER THE

PIEDMONT. GIVEN THE MARGINALLY COLD THERMODYNAMIC PROFILES...AND

FREEZING LEVELS AROUND 1000 FT OVER THE PIEDMONT PER GFS BUFR

FORECAST SOUNDINGS...ANY SUCH SNOW WOULD LIKELY BE DRIVEN BY

PRECIPITATION RATES...AND THE EXCEPTION RATHER THAN THE RULE.

Allan's map shows less snow on 18z GFS with heaviest areas farther west. Most of times from what I've observed so far, this kind of model shifting from ECMWF and GFS tends to favor Hickory-Winston Salem area.

EDIT: Of course, snow ratio is likely less than 10:1 on that side of state so it's less than 6 inches it's showing.

Stay away from the 18z clown map, I'm not even going to post it. Wake Co gets 6"+, don't tell Brick. I've "heard" looking at the soundings they don't support snow here.

13km GFS (parallel aka upgraded GFS) shows nada, not even much for the mountains.

Euro 12z ensemble mean is 0.6" with 17 out of 50 with snow (for RDU)

Stay away from the 18z clown map, I'm not even going to post it. Wake Co gets 6"+, don't tell Brick. I've "heard" looking at the soundings they don't support snow here.

13km GFS (parallel aka upgraded GFS) shows nada, not even much for the mountains.

odd Allan on Twitter says 18 out of 51 shows snow on the ground for RDU ?plus that's not bad being 4days away the trend is there !

odd Allan on Twitter says 18 out of 51 shows snow on the ground for RDU ?plus that's not bad being 4days away the trend is there !

I eyeballed it but there's 50 members not 51 he could be counting the OP, not sure. Either way little ensemble support

I changed mine because Jon was right, 1 member was picking up on a much later storm.  Still showed accumulation but not in the time frame we are looking at for this storm.  Agree with Pack, that is not really great support.

I changed mine because Jon was right, 1 member was picking up on a much later storm.  Still showed accumulation but not in the time frame we are looking at for this storm.  Agree with Pack, that is not really great support.

West of 85 in much better spot, as always with marginal air masses.

I agree Jon. The 18z GFS does show 6" of snow for the Triangle but dew points and surface temps stay near or above freezing for most of the event. Going along with what RAH stated this looks like mostly rain with some snow mixed in during heaver precip rates. Until we see some colder surface temps we should not expect much more than this.

I agree Jon. The 18z GFS does show 6" of snow for the Triangle but dew points and surface temps stay near or above freezing for most of the event. Going along with what RAH stated this looks like mostly rain with some snow mixed in during heaver precip rates. Until we see some colder surface temps we should not expect much more than this.

Agree....and don't let us triangle folks rain on everyone else's parade. West of 85 looks better, assuming precip is heavy.

Agree....and don't let us triangle folks rain on everyone else's parade. West of 85 looks better, assuming precip is heavy.

I think if it occurs just as the 18z GFS depicts, west of 85 would not get the heaver rates. We would end up slight colder but not cold enough; except for the mixing during the heaver rates. So basically we're all screwed if the GFS is correct.

Without a clear signal for a stout high pressure to the N or NW, *if* we get precip, it's a coin flip wrt type at this point. Already having fun tracking though, so that's good!

Oh, and isn't the EPS control basically the 51st member of the ensemble suite?

Only thing I am hoping for is the weak 1029HP that is over NY that is trying to hang on, it's helping some.  Kind of reminds me of 2/12-13 storm last winter.

Good luck!

Looks like a threat to Virginia even more than NC..

Archived