SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez my eyes are bleeding reading this garbage man. Take this to the banter thread with NO meteorlogical backing for this. You have no right saying this to a respected red tagger. Read ALOT more and post ALOT less if you want to last here this winter

you can tell it's winter, the riff-raff is coming out of the woodwork.  Christ, garbage like this is making this thread largely unreadable.

everyone keeps bashing me but think about it this coastal region will get the heaviest precip, therefore best dynamics for snow. Dynamic cooling will lower temperatures it can drop temperatures from low 40's to low 30's in less than an hour if you get a relatively strong storm.

Just as a simple quick thought, keep this in mind.....If this were always true, NYC and surrounding areas would rarely be on the east side of the rain/snow line. However, it is quite the contrary. The NW suburbs often stay all snow or all frozen while the NYC area is rain or a mix. This is also why they average less snow in coastal areas. Many strong coastal storms have occurred in the past 10-20 years. Many times the NYC area has turned to rain or started as rain which cut down on accumulations significantly. If this was not the case, NYC would easily average as much or more snow than the NW suburbs

I've seen this before from the gfs when it comes to precip amounts and coastals and for some reason it always holds back on LE amounts unless the low is very amplified and strong. I'll happily side with the Euro because I do feel the majority of the area gets at least an 1" of precip but could be more. This is a miller A gulf system and it should be more juiced than the gfs indicates. 

everyone keeps bashing me but think about it this coastal region will get the heaviest precip, therefore best dynamics for snow. Dynamic cooling will lower temperatures it can drop temperatures from low 40's to low 30's in less than an hour if you get a relatively strong storm.

True.  On the other hand, there's this large source of heat called the Atlantic Ocean...and it's November.....and there may be a period featuring an easterly fetch, sooo.....

The 18z PGFS is not nearly as dry on the NW side as the OP.

The GFS may be too slow starting precip too...I went back once and looked at about 50 Miller As where there was not an extremely dry airmass in place...in general precipitation starts at NYC about when the surface low is near the NC/SC border...the GFS is not doing that but many of the other models are.

The GFS may be too slow starting precip too...I went back once and looked at about 50 Miller As where there was not an extremely dry airmass in place...in general precipitation starts at NYC about when the surface low is near the NC/SC border...the GFS is not doing that but many of the other models are.

Wow. A rational scientific thought and research to back it. How novel. Thx Goose.

Archived