• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday first snowfall (Analysis & Obs)

Zelocita Weather

One cool thing ... if we do get measurable in NYC, it will preclude our first freeze.  I know it's not that rare of an occurrence, but I wonder how many times this has happened in the past?

Going to be very difficult tonight to get anything more then a trace in Central Park according to the 12Z guidance ..........

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on what model you look at, the models are real close to starting as snow west of the GSP. Thermal profiles look to be aligned from SW to NE with a heavier burst possible before ending. Would not shock me to see some brief observations of moderate snow, especially on the northern shore of LI right as things are shutting off.

Should probably wait for the Euro before making this call, but this screams coating on grassy and cold surfaces for the immediate coastline. Up to 2" north of the LIE with possible icey spots. 1-2" for most of NNJ and 1.5-2.5" for the hills of Sussex, Passaic, Orange, Westchester and Sullivan Counties. We'll go with a local JP site of up to 3" at KHPN where the best dynmaics should overlap the coldest available air.

Depending on what model you look at, the models are real close to starting as snow west of the GSP. Thermal profiles look to be aligned from SW to NE with a heavier burst possible before ending. Would not shock me to see some brief observations of moderate snow, especially on the northern shore of LI right as things are shutting off.

Should probably wait for the Euro before making this call, but this screams coating on grassy and cold surfaces for the immediate coastline. Up to 2" north of the LIE with possible icey spots. 1-2" for most of NNJ and 1.5-2.5" for the hills of Sussex, Passaic, Orange and Sullivan Counties. We'll go with a local JP site of up to 3" at KHPN where the best dynmaics should overlap the coldest available air.

It will all come down to timing and the intensity of the precip. While N and W areas will be a touch colder at the surface, they will be struggling with precip intensity.

The better Jet dynamics are right along the coast, as evidenced by every model having the precip bullseye near NYC and LI.

While the surface temps start out warmer on the coast, the dynamics are better.

It will all come down to timing and the intensity of the precip. While N and W areas will be a touch colder at the surface, they will be struggling with precip intensity.

The better Jet dynamics are right along the coast, as evidenced by every model having the precip bullseye near NYC and LI.

While the surface temps start out warmer on the coast, the dynamics are better.

You might have more intense precip at the coast but the cold air will arrive too late. That's why I'm calling for the JP zone to be north of the Thruway given orographic enhancement. If you look at the high res models, they have a secondary max that runs up 287 and into Westchester.

It's also a lot easier to get wet snow to stick to grass than paved surfaces. I highly doubt that LGA or JFK records more than a trace, if anything.

You might have more intense precip at the coast but the cold air will arrive too late. That's why I'm calling for the JP zone to be north of the Thruway given orographic enhancement. If you look at the high res models, they have a secondary max that runs up 287 and into Westchester.

Depends on what you are looking at. The 12z Rgem and the 12z Ukmet have sufficient soundings for 3-4 hours of snow on the coast and it coincides with the heavier precip from 6z to 9z (while 99% of us will be sleeping).

IMO, the jackpot zone will be somewhere near the coast. My guess is Huntington, LI (area) to SWCT and the Hudson Valley.

Depends on what you are looking at. The 12z Rgem and the 12z Ukmet have sufficient soundings for 3-4 hours of snow on the coast and it coincides with the heavier precip from 6z to 9z (while 99% of us will be sleeping).

IMO, the jackpot zone will be somewhere near the coast. My guess is Huntington, LI (area) to SWCT and the Hudson Valley.

Well the GFS has that sneaky warm layer around 925mb and I'm just not sure if the dynamics are going to be sufficently strong enough to cool the column. And even if you briefly top out at .50" per hour rates, I just don't see it lasting long enough to do anything but whiten the ground. If this was a more intense system, then I would agree with you. Up North, you have the colder air and orographics on your side, and HPN being further East is further away from the dryer air wrapping in on the backside.

"A snow alert will go into effect Thursday evening for New York City, the Department of Sanitation posted on its Twitter account."

"Snowfall is not expected to clear 1/2 inch, but city agencies will be monitoring the forecast throughout the evening for changes"

http://pix11.com/2014/11/13/department-of-sanitation-issues-snow-alert-for-8-p-m/

NWS could probably justify a WWA in some places tonight given that it's the first accumulating snowfall of the season and they have been known to do so in these situations.

In my county(Sussex) I typically don't see anything for an inch or 2 of snow.

2-3 is typically the min. Considering this is the 1st legit snow threat, it is possible.

In my county(Sussex) I typically don't see anything for an inch or 2 of snow.

2-3 is typically the min. Considering this is the 1st legit snow threat, it is possible.

If this was January you would likely not see anything, it's more of a public awarness issue, especially since it's November.

RAP looks to be a burst of precip as it comes through. Probably rain turning to snow falling with surface temps in the mid to upper 30s, all other levels below freezing. It will be at night so accumulation will be possible. Still thinking a coating for almost everyone. It seems as if this will be more of a burst coming through and out within 2-3 hours at most.....not a 6+ hour event

18z NAM is looking mighty interesting for the interior. Even if you factor in some initial rain it still gives most up here 1-3". Not saying its right but nice to see

We'll see what happens. I guess it depends on how heavy the snow rates are. The warm ground temps won't help. Could be a slight accum. on grassy surfaces and cars.

We'll see what happens. I guess it depends on how heavy the snow rates are. The warm ground temps won't help. Could be a slight accum. on grassy surfaces and cars.

You being right along the Hudson is not ideal for early season snowfall but areas in the usual areas will probably see some light accumulations. Years ago when I used to live in New Windsor it was torture for me to have snain while my folks in Highland Mills w/ an ele of 900' were experiencing accumulation. 

I find it interesting that York PA is reporting Light Snow at 4 PM - York is about 25 miles south of Harrisburg. The radar and reports kind of remind me of the Nov 2012 event when it started snowing south of us in the heavier precip that was approaching the area - have to see if that happens tonight also

http://kamala.cod.edu/pa/latest.asus41.CTP.KCTP.html

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/WXTYPE/loop25ne.html

You being right along the Hudson is not ideal for early season snowfall but areas in the usual areas will probably see some light accumulations. Years ago when I used to live in New Windsor it was torture for me to have snain while my folks in Highland Mills w/ an ele of 900' were experiencing accumulation. 

Elevation FTW......I'm at 39 now. Should flip pretty quick. Allentown reporting moderate rain and headed in this direction

Thats for sure. This part of the county many times has had less than other sections due to the elevation. Up on storm King mtn., is a whole different story. 

Archived