Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Predict The Date : 1st Snowfall NYC 1 inch or Greater

NEG NAO

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Imperator

You guys are going to hate me more, but hopefully, (and impossibly) no snow this winter.  I have 3 major projects going on downtown at the WTC and we are on an aggressive schedule. But if I had to hedge, Im going with the infamous 12/5 date. 

Guest Imperator

Making friends around here fast I see?

Business before hobby, my friend. Lots of big projects being bid too right now, keep a look out. 

Guest Imperator

Unless you control the weather nobody should be upset by your wishes..

It's one of the few things we indeed can't control. Amazingly, all of my or my family's firms are directly or indirectly weather dependent. High rise construction, solar energy and wind energy LOL. 

It's one of the few things we indeed can't control. Amazingly, all of my or my family's firms are directly or indirectly weather dependent. High rise construction, solar energy and wind energy LOL. 

I will root for cloudy skies, Calm winds and record snows .

Guest Imperator

I will root for cloudy skies, Calm winds and record snows .

Mean. Anyway, the solar and wind entities are in Southern Italy, where there is plenty of sun, and plenty of elevation winds  :tomato:

You guys are going to hate me more, but hopefully, (and impossibly) no snow this winter.  I have 3 major projects going on downtown at the WTC and we are on an aggressive schedule. But if I had to hedge, Im going with the infamous 12/5 date. 

Having it snow 6-7 times wont affect your project or anyones life.

People overdo the impact of snow. Miss a day or 2 of work. Big deal.

Guest Imperator

Having it snow 6-7 times wont affect your project or anyones life.

People overdo the impact of snow. Miss a day or 2 of work. Big deal.

Oh really? Tell that to 350 of my construction workers.  Do you own or are an executive of a large business? Even a small one? 

Oh really? Tell that to 350 of my construction workers.  Do you own or are an executive of a large business? Even a small one? 

Yes and missing a day or 2 of work is meaningless in the big picture.

Also, it's very rare for a large enough snowstorm to completely stop business in NYC (I can only think of 3 or 4 situations).

Snow or Rain have similar impacts. Especially in your construction field. Why would it matter if it snowed (and melted 6 hours later in Manhattan) or rained?

Guest Imperator

Yes and missing a day or 2 of work is meaningless in the big picture.

Also, it's very rare for a large enough snowstorm to completely stop business in NYC (I can only think of 3 or 4 situations).

Snow or Rain have similar impacts. Especially in your construction field. Why would it matter if it snowed (and melted 6 hours later in Manhattan) or rained?

Honestly it depends on what type of project we are speaking of. If its a high rise that is in a later phase of construction and closed from the elements, then it has little or no impact. But if you have a building going up exposed to the elements, the productivity obviously goes way down. Colder temperatures precludes certain construction activities from happening more than the warmer weather does. Admin wise, we had 2 office snow days last year and we always pay our office employees for a snow day, so a bad snowstorm does hit the bottom line somewhat too.  One of my duties is Business Development, which entails keeping clients happy. Owners, developers and GC's hate anything that disrupts their precious construction schedule. Maybe we should start a separate thread on snow impacts to businesses LOL. Earthlight is going to get mad at me for going on a tangent in here.

Archived