• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL 10/31 - 11/1 Obvs Thread

burgertime

Email from a friend in Forsyth Cty, GA: "Heavy snow shower Forsyth county  430 am .~35"

Rumor has it there was something similar from Cobb over to my vicinity (passing over 400), but I may never know since I was sleeping.

I think you are correct.  I had a full fledged flizzard this AM, before sunrise

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, to my Midlands people.. I busted horribly.  I really thought it'd be the "typical" situation and a brief rain snow mix/graupel event as the ULL passed.

Boy I was wrong.  Southern Lexington, towards Saluda SC are absolutely wrecked.  I was out and about.. power was out everywhere.  The roads were dangerous even into downtown Lexington proper.

Usually I bust in a bad way (not getting snow when expecting).  This time around myself, local weather guys, friends, everyone was absolutely taken by surprise.

I can't believe there are areas of 4-5" in Southern Lexington county on November 1st.

Lookout, you nailed it man!

Here in the city proper, we didn't fare as well. It was great to see those big flakes flying in the air nonetheless.  Esp. for this time of the year. Glad for all the folks that got in on the accumulating snow. 

Here in the city proper, we didn't fare as well. It was great to see those big flakes flying in the air nonetheless.  Esp. for this time of the year. Glad for all the folks that got in on the accumulating snow. 

Well I figured areas to our North.. York, Union, GSP, Rockhill, CLT, Fairfield would end up the winners.  Really wasn't thinking the ULL was going to track so well for the Western Midlands.  Even Edgefield got a good bit.

I've learned to respect the ULL much more after this event.

Add on top of that, the HRRR busted badly imby many times over the Summer so I already had a bad feeling about what it showed... but wow it did very well.

Using the precip type/simulated radar was almost 100% spot on.

Wow, to my Midlands people.. I busted horribly.  I really thought it'd be the "typical" situation and a brief rain snow mix/graupel event as the ULL passed.

Boy I was wrong.  Southern Lexington, towards Saluda SC are absolutely wrecked.  I was out and about.. power was out everywhere.  The roads were dangerous even into downtown Lexington proper.

Usually I bust in a bad way (not getting snow when expecting).  This time around myself, local weather guys, friends, everyone was absolutely taken by surprise.

I can't believe there are areas of 4-5" in Southern Lexington county on November 1st.

Lookout, you nailed it man!

That would be more of a west central Lexington County. An I-20 special it seems  :lol:  I'm in Southern Lexington Co, Gaston, Swansea, North etc. Those that ended up with the good stuff were to my north.  ;)  

My yard was dusted up 3 times and I've watched the flakes fly since about 6:30ish.....simply awesome :wub:  

Yes it did and so did you   :wub:  I have had a dusting 3 times and it is still snowing. Just 5 miles up the road there is about 3+ inches on the ground   :lol:    I'm impressed   ^_^

:wub::snowman:

It's very cool you got what you did. Pretty incredible so many got accumulating snow before their first freeze (or frost?).  I bet if someone had told you a few months, or hell 10 days ago, that you would be seeing actual accumulating snow on november 1st...you probably would have banned them :lol:

It seems We have been pretty lucky it seems the last few years vs what we are normally used to. I mean I went years without seeing ANY snow, not even a flurry, yet these last few years we have seen some impressive systems for these parts.

One bad thing about it though, it sure wets my appetite for something bigger..i hope this isn't one of those twisted jokes mother nature likes to play on weather weenies and have this be the only snow that we see all year. :arrowhead:

As expected, temps soared here after it cleared out a little. Temp is up to 57!. To think it's nearly 60 degrees after snowing for most of the predawn hours is pretty remarkable. Sure doesn't feel like it though with the wind blowing so hard..had gusts above 30mph.  Just another interesting tidbit about this system. One thing is for sure this system has been just all kinds of fun to track, watch, and predict.

It's very cool you got what you did. Pretty incredible so many got accumulating snow before their first freeze (or frost?).  I bet if someone had told you a few months, or hell 10 days ago, that you would be seeing actual accumulating snow on november 1st...you probably would have banned them

Not only that getting snow before alot of places in the NE,NC,NW sections of the country.

:wub::snowman:

It's very cool you got what you did. Pretty incredible so many got accumulating snow before their first freeze (or frost?).  I bet if someone had told you a few months, or hell 10 days ago, that you would be seeing actual accumulating snow on november 1st...you probably would have banned them :lol:

It seems We have been pretty lucky it seems the last few years vs what we are normally used to. I mean I went years without seeing ANY snow, not even a flurry, yet these last few years we have seen some impressive systems for these parts.

One bad thing about it though, it sure wets my appetite for something bigger..i hope this isn't one of those twisted jokes mother nature likes to play on weather weenies and have this be the only snow that we see all year. :arrowhead:

As expected, temps soared here after it cleared out a little. Temp is up to 57!. To think it's nearly 60 degrees after snowing for most of the predawn hours is pretty remarkable. Sure doesn't feel like it though with the wind blowing so hard..had gusts above 30mph.  Just another interesting tidbit about this system. One thing is for sure this system has been just all kinds of fun to track, watch, and predict.

We seem to have the opposite effect over here in NW Atlanta. It's still in the mid 40s right now. It hasn't budged more than about 5 degrees since I woke this morning around 9 eventhough we have had a fair share of some sunshine off and on today. The clouds for the most part seem to still be winning over the sunshine.

Drove up to Blowing Rock, NC, with the kids today to sled at the intersection of Shull's Mill Rd, US 221, and the BRP.  They had a solid 4 inches of snow on the ground, with low-lying areas up to a foot deep in snow due to the wind.  The wind was ripping the entire time, so it was a little difficult to get accurate measurements.  I'll post a few pics later, but the wind-driven snow continued the entire time we were up there:  11:00-1:30 today.  Beautiful!

Finally made it up to 45 here at the moment in downtown Columbia with winds now gusting around 30.  Upper Level Low - Weather Man's Woe definitely in full effect this morning…congrats to those in the Western Midlands on some impressive accumulating snow.  Was very cool to wake up to flakes flying here in downtown Columbia.  

That might be 24 hour totals but we are still getting hammered here in Haywood county. The radar is not doing this band of snow justice.

Yeah they are using my 4am spotter report for downtown and we cashed in after that on Beaucatcher Mtn.  I was in the perfect upslope spot.  If I had measured on my car it was 4.5"+.  Came down the mountain .25 miles and there was a .5" difference.  Neat to see how widespread the totals are though!!

Yeah they are using my 4am spotter report for downtown and we cashed in after that on Beaucatcher Mtn.  I was in the perfect upslope spot.  If I had measured on my car it was 4.5"+.  Came down the mountain .25 miles and there was a .5" difference.  Neat to see how widespread the totals are though!!

I agree. Here in town they only had about 2 inches. We are almost at 9 inches know at home. What a difference.

We seem to have the opposite effect over here in NW Atlanta. It's still in the mid 40s right now. It hasn't budged more than about 5 degrees since I woke this morning around 9 eventhough we have had a fair share of some sunshine off and on today. The clouds for the most part seem to still be winning over the sunshine.

Had 49.9F for a high over here in Gwinnett and it's already started down. 

Went on a stormchase today. Took a trip to Gilbert SC. It was the most amazing site ive seen. 6" of the heaviest, wettest snow with the biggest flakes ive ever seen. I-20 was a skating rink, and the back roads were snowcovered or blocked by fallen trees. So many trees were badly damaged or destroyed. 50 foot pine trees bent down to less than 10 feet off the ground. Winds were gusting over 30mph, filling the air with the sound of trees breaking. A trip i will never forget.

Just got back from my snow chase.  Went up to cola and w as all rain, turned westbound on I-20 and 5 minutes later near Lexington it POURED.  HUGE flakes.  Was stuck on I-20 for 45mins-1hr and finally got off on an exit and parked at a gas station.  The place was packed with people building snowmen and taking pictures.  There was 4" easily accumulated on the grass.  Finally went on some back roads and got back on the interstate where it was all rain.  What a day and it is amazing to see these records broken in person.  I'll post pics later tonight, I took plenty.

Archived