joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the 12z gfs it looks like we could see snow tomorrow morning then upslope snow Sunday evening into Monday morning with the strong clipper coming through. Then it looks like we could see a couple of impulses coming in and enhancing upslope snow next week. All in all the next 5 days looks interesting.

OK guys, making my annual trip to AVL area for snow and beer. Have 4WD and all day Monday to drive around looking for the best snow spots. Where do you locals suggest- I also would like to do a short hike to maybe a waterfall for some photgraphy. Old barns are also a good thing.

OK guys, making my annual trip to AVL area for snow and beer. Have 4WD and all day Monday to drive around looking for the best snow spots. Where do you locals suggest- I also would like to do a short hike to maybe a waterfall for some photgraphy. Old barns are also a good thing.

Sweet man! Looks like you picked a great day to come up with that clipper system moving through. Some good spots would be up in Madison County way. Sams Gap is good. Into Haywood county near the TN/NC line. Also up towards soco gap would be great.

Madison County is great if you like old, rural buildings and also in a good spot for NWFS/clipper coming through Sunday evening/Monday morning. One of better mountains for snow photography is definitely Max Patch, also in Madison County, but Roan Mountain at 6,200 feet is also worth a long drive as well if you want little extreme weather. Best waterfalls are mostly in Brevard/Franklin areas, and not in prime NWFS areas, but Soco Falls between Maggie Valley and Cherokee might get some NWFS. In fact, Soco Gap nearby is a great starting point for most snow events in WNC but I'm not 100% sure that's a place to be for this upcoming clipper.

Personally, Roan Mountain/Carvers Gap is a fun little Appalachian Trail adventure with some old barns on the way at lower elevations as long as you take US-19 through Burnsville. There will be some rime ice and some NWFS at the top on Monday, I'm sure.

If you have time, take the "beer geek" tour at the new Sierra Nevada brewery in Mills River behind the airport. We took it the other day and it's really cool and informative. They end it in there tap room where you try all their beers plus some that they are working on. It's free but you'll need to make reservations online.

Yeah, this upcoming NWFS is going to be fun starting Sunday night. GFS got NWFS lasting for 12-24 hours for border counties and another, but brief, NWFS coming in on Tuesday evening. Sunday/Monday NWFS event might be strong enough to spill some moisture into valleys.

Archived