Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been having a graupel shower in Candler for at least the past hour.  It is beginning to accumulate on elevated surfaces but I don't think it will amount to much.  Still very neat to see snow flurries and snow showers all day long!

We had one a little while ago. Sounded like sleet. Like Met said, nice steady snow since about 5 pm.

Cold.

Temp- 19.4

Wind - 12/G19

Light snow

After a little sleet here this morning, things have been quiet. Smokies look to be the winners of this one. Radar upstream looks a little paltry as well. GSP knew what they were talking about. Kudos.

Blue, where is that radar image from?

An expensive program call GR2Analyst :) I usually use it for severe weather tracking in Plains, but the program is also useful for mixed precip events as well thanks to dual-pol products.

http://grlevelx.com/gr2analyst_2/

http://grlevelx.com/

We have seen about everything today. Rain, sleet, and snow today. We had snow really take off about 2:30 today in town at work and at home. We are currently getting some light snow right know with about .25 inches of frozen stuff on the ground.

So, Met1985, what is "in town" for you?  What locale are you referencing?

So, Met1985, what is "in town" for you?  What locale are you referencing?

Lol sorry Calc. The local hospital I work at. Haywood Regional medical center. I also heavy snow falling in Canton today and on I-40 going west through Haywood county. We are getting a decent clip of snow again right know that the radar is not picking up.

Lol sorry Calc. The local hospital I work at. Haywood Regional medical center. I also heavy snow falling in Canton today and on I-40 going west through Haywood county. We are getting a decent clip of snow again right know that the radar is not picking up.

So is Haywood Reg Med Center in Canton?  I know where that is.  How can you not catch the waft of air from the paper mill when driving by on I-40?  :D

So is Haywood Reg Med Center in Canton?  I know where that is.  How can you not catch the waft of air from the paper mill when driving by on I-40?  :D

Lol technically in Clyde. Hey I am us to the paper mill lol.  I had some training in Canton today. Also the snow has really ramped up tonight again. We have picked up a half inch of snow since I came home tonight.

With an upcoming cold pattern and trough by Christmas-time, it was imminent something would show up on OP models soon. 12z ECMWF finally gave in to this threat 10 days out and gave WNC a massive winterstorm.

(Image reposted from Pattern Discussion Thread)

FAUk0Ab.png

With an upcoming cold pattern and trough by Christmas-time, it was imminent something would show up on OP models soon. 12z ECMWF finally gave in to this threat 10 days out and gave WNC a massive winterstorm.

(Image reposted from Pattern Discussion Thread)

FAUk0Ab.png

We can only hope.

Euro lit us up.  8 days out and it is only one run but it will make things very interesting for the next few days of model watching.  Gave KAVL 11.3" with most of Buncombe Co. getting 10"+.  Temps looks to be below 30 through hr 240 with it beginning with temps around 25 degrees so let the model watching begin!  Can't wait to see the ensemble.

Euro lit us up.  8 days out and it is only one run but it will make things very interesting for the next few days of model watching.  Gave KAVL 11.3" with most of Buncombe Co. getting 10"+.  Temps looks to be below 30 through hr 240 with it beginning with temps around 25 degrees so let the model watching begin!  Can't wait to see the ensemble.

We really need that SE Canada 50/50 low to do its job a week from now to put a high pressure into Great Lakes and force a storm to track south rather than Ohio Valley.

Around 20 or so out of 50 have the storm with the blocking we need on the 12z euro ensemble. Not great support but not terrible by any means. We sit in a better spot than most in wnc for flakes though with the coldest temps showing. Who knows though this could be a repeat of christmas in 2010.

How many for Boone?

Around 20 or so out of 50 have the storm with the blocking we need on the 12z euro ensemble. Not great support but not terrible by any means. We sit in a better spot than most in wnc for flakes though with the coldest temps showing. Who knows though this could be a repeat of christmas in 2010.

I've got just the thing... 

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_georgia_white_christmas.php

How many for Boone?

Around 22 (not counting the ones that show a small NWFS a few days before), like Franklin said the ensemble is split between a miller A/miller B so at this point in time it is a toss up.

Amesome summary Dacula, thanks for sharing!!

Archived