• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy

bluewave

my point is global warming is causing January to warm less than the other two months.

So your argument is that a cause is producing some type of negative feedback scenario?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my point is global warming is causing January to warm less than the other two months.

Global warming is what's causing our temp averages to increase in the long term. However you have to look at what mechanisms (oscillations, sunspots, etc.) are causing January to warm much slower than other months. That's why I agree with Bluewave in his post of the AO likely playing a major role in this.

Global warming is what's causing our temp averages to increase in the long term. However you have to look at what mechanisms (oscillations, sunspots, etc.) are causing January to warm much slower than other months. That's why I agree with Bluewave in his post of the AO likely playing a major role in this.

I think "global warming" is more result than cause...but that's just semantics at this point.

I have always measured meteorological winter as Decembrer 6 to March 6. I am wondering how the calculations would change if we started each statistical month on the sixth.

Well the British use to start the year in March, IIRC...and they ended up ruling most of the world for a few centuries...so it couldn't hurt to change things up, I suppose.

I can think of many recent years where February was colder than January, in some cases materially so. Examples would be, off the top of my head and without any checking, 1967, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1979, 1993, 2003, and 2007. I bolded the ones I am sure aboiut and where the differences were material. There were even a few I remember that December was colder than January; Using the year in which December occurred, those would be 1966, 1988 and 1989.  I am sure there are other examples.

Archived