joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Snowfall Predictions

NEchestercountydude

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to update only becuase all media people are going for a big winter.

local animal reports such as bears, turkey and deer indicate a mild winter.

New call

Avp - 37

ABE - 35

PHL - 20

ACY - 14

my back yard - 42 

Best

Here consumption of corn and peanuts is up, likely due in part to it being an off year for Black Walnut and Hickory Trees. Birds seem to be in a bit of a feeding frenzy too, but it is fall after all.

Then again there is some cold weather coming...just don't want a repeat of 1989-90 please.

With your sn I thought you'd be lowering your projections :-)

Ha, I was off by 50" last year for Philly.

Early thoughts

AVP  - 45

ABE  - 47

PHL -  42

ACY -  22

MBY - 44

I'll revisit these around Nov 10th. Could be a bit lower or way higher.

My winter forecast calculations came up with a slightly lower number 36" PHI, but for augments sake, I'll leave these be.

Nice! I guessing it's safe to say your calling for 18" for PHI which is pretty neat; not because it's craptastic but it would be lowest I've seen for outlooks this far and it's a very distinct possibility if this winter turns out cold and dry.

Snowfall is always tricky.  I could see the overall pattern working but snowfall being way off; after all, if a significant percentage of moisture falls as snow, its easy for it to be way higher than the analog average suggests.  I do think this winter will average cold and dry overall.  On the other board I put 30" which I can easily see happening despite my analogs.

Snowfall is always tricky.  I could see the overall pattern working but snowfall being way off; after all, if a significant percentage of moisture falls as snow, its easy for it to be way higher than the analog average suggests.  I do think this winter will average cold and dry overall.  On the other board I put 30" which I can easily see happening despite my analogs.

Went with 36" on my outlook, lowerd from 42 here in Oct. My gut wants to say more more but my gut was off by 52" last year for PHI!

30" for PHL would not be shabby at all in the grand scheme of things....less than half of last winter's which would (will?) require an adjustment of expectations, but still almost 50% above average. Getting at least one 12"+ storm would be nice. So, Ray, what do you think our largest snowfall total will be from one storm?

30" for PHL would not be shabby at all in the grand scheme of things....less than half of last winter's which would (will?) require an adjustment of expectations, but still almost 50% above average. Getting at least one 12"+ storm would be nice. So, Ray, what do you think our largest snowfall total will be from one storm?

Not a friggin clue ;)

• 3 months later...

Well, met winter is over today.  I got the cold part right.  It wasn't actually dry (near normal, actually slightly above), but snow still wasn't great.  Oh well, try again next year.

Bigger snows failed in every way humanely imaginable in February in SEPA. Combined with historic cold I should easily have reached the 45-50" plateau imby this winter.

Looks like you got to a bit over 45" a few days after this post, and I know you enjoyed this storm :)  

I was looking back in here to see how I did with my own prediction, I busted low for myself after mentioning once that I wouldn't have minded a mild winter this year lol....  (I jinxed myself.......but in the end I tend to go with the flow......and after this storm I'm kinda liking this winter.)

Looks like you got to a bit over 45" a few days after this post, and I know you enjoyed this storm :)  

I was looking back in here to see how I did with my own prediction, I busted low for myself after mentioning once that I wouldn't have minded a mild winter this year lol....  (I jinxed myself.......but in the end I tend to go with the flow......and after this storm I'm kinda liking this winter.)

Yes we didn't get missed again and it held on until late in the afternoon this one was a win. Still though one "hit" from the three strikes late Jan early Feb and i hit my 55 prediction and the winter falls into the historic snowfall range. So close.

Think I also hit on the two katodog alerts(Jan blizzard, and groundhog storm)

The winter should still be remembered as historic when figuring in the extreme cold. 2014-2015 winters will be looked back at with the same awe as the period of the late 70's

Yes we didn't get missed again and it held on until late in the afternoon this one was a win. Still though one "hit" from the three strikes late Jan early Feb and i hit my 55 prediction and the winter falls into the historic snowfall range. So close.

Think I also hit on the two katodog alerts(Jan blizzard, and groundhog storm)

The winter should still be remembered as historic when figuring in the extreme cold. 2014-2015 winters will be looked back at with the same awe as the period of the late 70's

I agree for the same reason.  The cold in the later half of winter has really impressed me, and the first good "staying" snow on Jan 23~24 (6-8" in our area) has hung on....it should be comfortably into March.  Plus November featured some good snow (for that time of year) so it's been a long winter too.  Most winters that have gone by.....we'd have seen bare ground by now after that January storm, even if some snow had fallen afterwards.  (because it usually thaws big time a few times a winter around here.)  This winter has acted almost like maybe.......a northeastern Iowa/southwestern Wisconsin winter since late Jan lol.  (lots of smaller snows, but fairly cold)

Well thus far I busted too high for philly 36" with 23-25" being reality. Kudos to Mt Holly, I believe they called for 22" for Philly. North of Philly, it did quite well. For NYC I had 39" they now have 42.5" for MBY I had 44" with 46.6" to date. Busted terrible like everyone else on the blocking thus suppression was not an issue. Did nicely with the Raging PDO and -EPO and +PNA and had Feb as coldest month. Much like last year, which I did use as one of my analogs to factor seasonal lag, we got the job done despite the lack of traditional blocking. Philly's numbers may seem sub par but still all in all slightly above average.

Archived