Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
GaWx (Larry) Appreciation Day

El Kabong

• 1 month later...

I still mean this. I'm sorry for the way things went down.

Marietta,

Thank you. Also, I accept your apology and I'm sorry I wouldn't let it go sooner than I did. So, we have a truce that will hopefully last. We're obviously two very passionate people with strong beliefs that will sometimes clash.

After reading through yet another treasure trove of data from GaWx, I thought it might be worth recognizing how fortunate the Southeast forum is to have our very own walking weather sage!  The historical data Larry shares provides us with such rich context and adds tremendous value to the ongoing weather discussions, especially during the winter months.  Perhaps some of the other regional forums have their own "Larry," but I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who has compiled the same amount of weather data as GaWx.

In addition, any newcomers to the SE forum would be wise to pay careful attention to any threads that Larry starts pertaining to potential winter storms.  I don't know the exact number he has called in advance over the past several years, but the most recent one was a thread he started on Jan 22, 2014 for the winter storm that hit the southeast six days later.  There have been others as well.  Larry would never claim to bat .1000, but my ears perk up whenever GaWx starts honking!  If the anticipated El Nino pans out, perhaps you'll get to honk more than normal this winter. :snowing:

So, thanks Larry for all that you do and for your invaluable contributions to our forum! :clap:

And he's funny too!  And he wants to get the Moles drunk!  What's not to like?  He is one of the main reasons I come to this place for my weather knowledge!!  Hail to the Abacus King, hard at work in his garret, eating ice cream, and sublimely accepting of whatever.  T

And he's funny too!  And he wants to get the Moles drunk!  What's not to like?  He is one of the main reasons I come to this place for my weather knowledge!!  Hail to the Abacus King, hard at work in his garret, eating ice cream, and sublimely accepting of whatever.  T

Lol! Thanks, Tony! I don't want to get the moles drunk per se. I just want to keep them happy per your recommendations. You gave me the impression they were alcoholics. I thought that stocking up a bunch of liquor for them to have in their Tybee Island motel room would finally lure them to Savannah. Also, the limo with the girls is ready to get them from the train station. So, they won't have to drive anywhere, which is good since they'll be drunk the whole time. The wait for them to show up is now up to a whopping 15 months...sigh.

Lol! Thanks, Tony! I don't want to get the moles drunk per se. I just want to keep them happy per your recommendations. You gave me the impression they were alcoholics. I thought that stocking up a bunch of liquor for them to have in their Tybee Island motel room would finally lure them to Savannah. Also, the limo with the girls is ready to get them from the train station. So, they won't have to drive anywhere, which is good since they'll be drunk the whole time. The wait for them to show up is now up to a whopping 15 months...sigh.

And thus you see the evils of drink, lol.  Now, I am surprised the girls didn't get them to Savannah, but I'm headed that way if they are getting lonely.  I'm not hairy, or blind, and I don't drink much, so they may not be too interested in me, but I'm not above giving it a try..and I'm not above wearing a mole costume if the lovelys  might respond to that.  I figure if the Mayor is involved the girls will be from the upper crust of Savannah's best, so maybe an old hippie in a mole suit would get their interest peaked if they are kinky like some upper crust gals tend to be, lol.

I haven't been able to hang around here much since the end of winter, so I missed this thread, and apparently some verbal fisticuffs also..so I might add Larry will fight you tooth and nail, if you aren't careful with your facts, so don't get on the BriarCreek type bad side, or the ship will hit the fan :)

There is none better if you like winter weather, or any weather, that's ever happened in Atl and surrounding environs (except he can't tell much much about Ga weather during the Maunder Minimum) (keeps saying he wasn't born yet, and they didn't have records)(but I know for a fact there are ships logs from that era, and he is just too lazy to transcribe 10's of thousands of ship logs and extrapolate) and if you have a bottle filled with a mix of Larry, and Foothills, I can't see how you would need any more winter beverage, and knowledge.  We are truly lucky to have the two of them here, and posting their expertise.  Here's to you, Larry!!  Tony

Nice thread, El K....good on ya!!!

And thus you see the evils of drink, lol.  Now, I am surprised the girls didn't get them to Savannah, but I'm headed that way if they are getting lonely.  I'm not hairy, or blind, and I don't drink much, so they may not be too interested in me, but I'm not above giving it a try..and I'm not above wearing a mole costume if the lovelys  might respond to that.  I figure if the Mayor is involved the girls will be from the upper crust of Savannah's best, so maybe an old hippie in a mole suit would get their interest peaked if they are kinky like some upper crust gals tend to be, lol.

I haven't been able to hang around here much since the end of winter, so I missed this thread, and apparently some verbal fisticuffs also..so I might add Larry will fight you tooth and nail, if you aren't careful with your facts, so don't get on the BriarCreek type bad side, or the ship will hit the fan :)

There is none better if you like winter weather, or any weather, that's ever happened in Atl and surrounding environs (except he can't tell much much about Ga weather during the Maunder Minimum) (keeps saying he wasn't born yet, and they didn't have records)(but I know for a fact there are ships logs from that era, and he is just too lazy to transcribe 10's of thousands of ship logs and extrapolate) and if you have a bottle filled with a mix of Larry, and Foothills, I can't see how you would need any more winter beverage, and knowledge.  We are truly lucky to have the two of them here, and posting their expertise.  Here's to you, Larry!!  Tony

Nice thread, El K....good on ya!!!

Thanks, Tony! Don't underestimate your contributions regarding ATL history likr the 1973 severe ZR and your 3/1960 IP storm among other things. If it weren't for you, I'd probably still not realize that the city, itself, had a major IP on 3/9/1960 as my favorite place, the airport, had mainly ZR. Also, don't forget Perry for his own info on especially west and SW metro ATL that comes from both personal experience and family like his grandma if I recall correctly.

It's the fallacy that comes from thinking the airport is even in this dimension with us.  It's in a parallel universe.  Did you know the temp used to come from the Heart of Atlanta Hotel?  I don't remember which temps..like the official ones, or some tv stations ones, or something maybe I made up,...no I remember the temps coming from the Heart of Atl Motel, or hotel, whatever, down there near the old auditorium..... but it points out how climo is part magic because the jets and sprites aren't always active, and weather knowledge has to cross the boundaries of the twilight zone :)    I have a theory that the airport temps were much more accurate back in the early 60's, and earlier, when the airport was just a bunch of low wooden barracks looking buildings that ran hither and thither around and the traffic  on the land, in the sea, and on the streets was a pittance of what it is now.  Planes ran on gas, and had props, and the runways weren't as many, or as wide.  Better to take the temps in 10 different places now so you have more numbers to run, lol, than just in that alternate dimension :)  T

Archived