joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Obs

jburns

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope come no body is using the winter of 1972-73 as an analog??? I mean, my grandparents told me that the south got swamped with an ice storm in January and a blizzard in February..(Orangeburg got 28" of snow)....seems like the ideal combination but everyone is not using that year...why?/?

Orangeburg,

1972-3 is likely not being used because it was a strong El Nino among other things. There is essentially no chance for a strong El Nino this winter. A weak to possibly low end moderate is what's most likely (probably weak). In addition, it had a +AO, +NAO, and -PDO, none of which are expected this winter.

A winter having had incredible amounts of wintry precip. is not a reason to just go ahead and pick that winter. That seems bass ackwards to me. Rather, if a particualr winter has similar indices or whatever vs. what is expected for the upcoming winter, it makes sense to then pick that winter as an analog. Once it is picked, then one can analyze the wintry precip. for that winter if desired. That's how I do it fwiw.

I've noticed that the leaves on the northside of ATL have changed markedly overall over the last few days. I'm assuming that the cool nights of a few days back really got things moving on a good number of trees. Some are pretty coloful. I think that the jury is still out as to whether or not the peak will be nice since we haven't reached it yet. I had earlier predicted a 11/10-20 overall peak. I now think it is going to be more like 11/3-15 due to this acceleration as well as upcoming cold. Hopefully, the upcoming storm/cold front this weekend won't blow too many leaves off! That, in itself, may prevent a good peak overall.

Orangeburg,

1972-3 is likely not being used because it was a strong El Nino among other things. There is essentially no chance for a strong El Nino this winter. A weak to possibly low end moderate is what's most likely (probably weak). In addition, it had a +AO, +NAO, and -PDO, none of which are expected this winter.

A winter having had incredible amounts of wintry precip. is not a reason to just go ahead and pick that winter. That seems bass ackwards to me. Rather, if a particualr winter has similar indices or whatever vs. what is expected for the upcoming winter, it makes sense to then pick that winter as an analog. Once it is picked, then one can analyze the wintry precip. for that winter if desired. That's how I do it fwiw.

Thanks....

I've noticed that the leaves on the northside of ATL have changed markedly overall over the last few days. I'm assuming that the cool nights of a few days back really got things moving on a good number of trees. Some are pretty coloful. I think that the jury is still out as to whether or not the peak will be nice since we haven't reached it yet. I had earlier predicted a 11/10-20 overall peak. I now think it is going to be more like 11/3-15 due to this acceleration as well as upcoming cold. Hopefully, the upcoming storm/cold front this weekend won't blow too many leaves off! That, in itself, may prevent a good peak overall.

The trees are really starting to pop here in Asheville.  I think our peak will happen this weekend but they will most likely be gone off the trees by Monday with the windy conditions.

The trees are really starting to pop here in Asheville.  I think our peak will happen this weekend but they will most likely be gone off the trees by Monday with the windy conditions.

Orangeburg is 40 miles south of Columbia and the leaves here have changed earlier than any other year I can remember... All the pinecones have been stripped since late August.... This could be interesting ...

Oh man, i'm sorry to hear that!...LOL

No offense, but i hate the climate there even more than here!! :beer:

So do I.... The only shot for decent accumulating snowstorm is cold air from the north, gulf moisture from the south, and a front moving from SW to NE converging at the same time....anything else and it is less accumulation or an ice storm...

Archived