SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Obs

jburns

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is the foliage looking down there ? Pretty lackluster here in ga.

The main reason it is lackluster right now in the ATL area IMO is that it is later than average as opposed to being dull. It could still end up dull, but that remains to be seen. In the ATL area due to the overall warm October, looking at how predominant green leaves still are as of now, and considering the next few days of warmth (80's at least next two days for highs ), I predict the peak period won't be until around 11/10-20. This is typical when October is warm. When it is really chilly, ATL has been known to peak as early as the last week or so of October. The past few chilly nights have actually finally gotten the color changes going on many trees. This should accelerate with the expected cold shot of the first few days of November.

Edit: Actually, I also meant to add that I think this peak will be more spread out than average based on larger than normal differences in the start of color changes depending on type of tree. Also, as usual, the best bet for a good peak would be a lack of heavy rain and strong winds for the next couple of weeks.

KATL at 1 PM already up to 79! With full sunshine, dry W to NW winds, and 850's at a well above normal +18 C, a high near 82-83 is quite possible. An 850 of +18 C isn't far from a midsummer normal!

Well, KATL already hit 82 as of 2 PM! The record high there for today is 85. It could come close. In case anyone is curious, the FFC forecasted high for KATL was 81, which is what the cool biased 12Z GFS predicted. So, it is no surprise that they are higher than 81.

With TD's in the middle 50's, it is rather comfy.

With similar 850's, dry air, and near full sunshine, tomorrow will also be quite warm. Tomorrow's 12Z GFS forecasted KATL high is slightly warmer, at 82. So, I'd look for 84-5 there for tomorrow as of now. That wouldn't hit the record of 87.

Well, KATL already hit 82 as of 2 PM! The record high there for today is 85. It could come close. In case anyone is curious, the FFC forecasted high for KATL was 81, which is what the cool biased 12Z GFS predicted. So, it is no surprise that they are higher than 81.

With similar 850's, dry air, and near full sunshine, tomorrow will also be quite warm. Tomorrow's 12Z GFS forecasted KATL high is slightly warmer, at 82. So, I'd look for 84-5 there for tomorrow as of now. That wouldn't hit the record of 87.

DISGUSTING.

KATL's high was apparently 84, just missing the record of 85! I'm still thinking about 84-5 tomorrow though an 86 wouldn't be a shocker.

What the heck with the temp bubble over gso this morning? 61?? I see 46 down on the SC border. And really 40's and low 50's all around with bubbles mixed in. Another example is clemson at 61 while pickens is at 46. Probably 20 miles apart.

GSP tweeted this out today. They call it the southern App Thermal Belt. Pretty neat phenomenon!

a7f20342330413865dfa16157c4c8532.jpg

Archived