• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

Looks like I'll finish possibly in the top 50 and a city score better than -3.5 even after a horrible and I mean horrible last 3 days. On a good note my professor from my alma mater Lyndon State looks to win the overall title at Butte and for Cat 1, so I don't know if they give him two trophies or one. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I'll finish possibly in the top 50 and a city score better than -3.5 even after a horrible and I mean horrible last 3 days. On a good note my professor from my alma mater Lyndon State looks to win the overall title at Butte and for Cat 1, so I don't know if they give him two trophies or one. 

It's just the one.

I've had an awful last four days (well mostly days 5-7), but I'm only going to finish right near national consensus. Better than the alternative, I suppose.

Barring something unforeseen with the high/wind over the next couple of hours, it looks like if the low gets to 37 or lower I'll be the 1st or 2nd cat 3 forecaster. It still looks like there will be a few hours of clear skies and light winds before 6z, so I don't think that's unreasonable...although the clouds can't lift north much slower than expected at this point.

Barring something unforeseen with the high/wind over the next couple of hours, it looks like if the low gets to 37 or lower I'll be the 1st or 2nd cat 3 forecaster. It still looks like there will be a few hours of clear skies and light winds before 6z, so I don't think that's unreasonable...although the clouds can't lift north much slower than expected at this point.

I need the opposite scenario but I'm not sure whether to cheer for the clearing or not. The dew points are relatively high so I think the temperature will have trouble getting below 40 until after 06Z.

I need the opposite scenario but I'm not sure whether to cheer for the clearing or not. The dew points are relatively high so I think the temperature will have trouble getting below 40 until after 06Z.

It would be preferable (for me, probably not for you) for the dew points to be a bit lower, although they're at 37 right now so I don't think getting below 40 is impossible. But for my colder low to work out they definitely have to clear regardless.

It would be preferable (for me, probably not for you) for the dew points to be a bit lower, although they're at 37 right now so I don't think getting below 40 is impossible. But for my colder low to work out they definitely have to clear regardless.

I'm ok with 39, but I lose the trophy if it gets to 38.

I was originally expecting the temperatures to jump quickly around 00 UTC with clearing, but that no longer appears possible.

Not a good day for me to make such a bad forecast...

I'm ok with 39, but I lose the trophy if it gets to 38.

I was originally expecting the temperatures to jump quickly around 00 UTC with clearing, but that no longer appears possible.

Not a good day for me to make such a bad forecast...

I had iffy or bad day 8 forecasts last year in GRR and BWI and this year in ILM when a good forecast would've handed me a trophy. It's a frustrating feeling.

The 4z METAR came in at 37/36, which gets me a top 5 finish in the city and a cat 3 trophy (I was starting to think I'd never get one, and to get it in Butte of all places!). I can finish as high as 2nd for the city if they get to 35. It feels gratifying to finally pull it out, and this city was a b*tch, and it's too bad you couldn't hang on. At least Caribou is more conventional than Butte.

Are you OHUJMS? Looks like I surpassed you for 1st in cat 3...although you could repass me depending on 5z and 6z. Regardless, I'll come in the top 10 overall and my best performance by far! I'm happy.

looks like high clouds have arrived .. hoping for another 2 degree drop although unlikely 

Quite a tight clustering from 4th- 35th or so...so if the low got down to 34...you would rocket up to 3rd place and OHUJMS would take 2nd with Lyndon's professor retaining first (I would drop to 9th)...

Next few observations should be interesting.

Quite a tight clustering from 4th- 35th or so...so if the low got down to 34...you would rocket up to 3rd place and OHUJMS would take 2nd with Lyndon's professor retaining first (I would drop to 9th)...

Next few observations should be interesting.

yup, need a 35 to win cat 2. that is assuming 47/35/10/.03 in that scenario

Archived