Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

76/49/7/0

I was debating between 76 and 77 for the high since it will be clear and sunny tomorrow but models wouldn't go above 74-75 so I went 76. Low was quite interesting, but I can see temperature dropping all the way down to few degrees above dewpoint with light wind. Most models think it'll be below 51 except for GFS (which seems to be too warm). I only went to 49 mainly because NWS still got 54 at the airport (50 in other areas of Phoenix however). No need to explain wind.

79/46/7/0

We should find out how well PHX radiates tonight. The diurnal looking CU should clear pretty quickly and high clouds should stay away all night. Winds look very light or calm all night and dew points are sitting in the upper 40's...so I think they'll easily fall to 50 or a bit cooler. 46 may be pushing it but I don't think it's impossible. The airmass is about 2C warmer tomorrow and the GFS and NAM both suggest deeper mixing, so assuming the high clouds stay thin until later in the day I could see them getting 5F warmer than today's 74. But that's also a gamble :lol:

79/46/7/0

We should find out how well PHX radiates tonight. The diurnal looking CU should clear pretty quickly and high clouds should stay away all night. Winds look very light or calm all night and dew points are sitting in the upper 40's...so I think they'll easily fall to 50 or a bit cooler. 46 may be pushing it but I don't think it's impossible. The airmass is about 2C warmer tomorrow and the GFS and NAM both suggest deeper mixing, so assuming the high clouds stay thin until later in the day I could see them getting 5F warmer than today's 74. But that's also a gamble :lol:

m92Z0hN.png

The HRRR is projecting some high clouds tonight... .which is why I didn't drop too low with the low (actually agreed with the HRRR which makes sense). 

78/51/8/0.00

The HRRR is projecting some high clouds tonight... .which is why I didn't drop too low with the low (actually agreed with the HRRR which makes sense). 

78/51/8/0.00

I saw the HRRR did move some high clouds through but then showed several hours of clearing later at night. The high clouds over Baja and into the mainland of Mexico right now appear to mainly stay just east of PHX in my opinion, which is why I went cooler than the HRRR which does show a few hours of high clouds. The 23z run appears to get them down to about 48F with some bouncing around late at night...will be interesting to watch play out.

Edit: Now that I look at visible just before the sun set the high clouds do show up a bit better than on the IR. Might mean the HRRR's cloud forecast is better than I thought.

I sort of wish the airport we were forecastin for got 0.08" as that was my precip forecast, but oh well haha

I don't :P It's too bad our lows didn't work out well, but hopefully radiation cooling works out for us below 50 tonight. Recent HRRR on Papin's site is down to 46 at the very lowest.

I don't :P It's too bad our lows didn't work out well, but hopefully radiation cooling works out for us below 50 tonight. Recent HRRR on Papin's site is down to 46 at the very lowest.

The HRRR is running too cold right now. Clouds have been persistent thus far unlike my thinking that they wouldn't earlier. It looks like they'll finally clear soon...we'll see. Not confident in 50 or cooler anymore.

I'm back for the new year!

76/52/11/0

Model bias has been pretty consistent over the past few weeks. Makes me wonder if they aren't seeing the urban heat island or something. 

The models generally seem warmer in the metro area, but maybe they're under-doing it? They had no problem with the low last night. But yeah I'm not optimistic for my 46 at this point.

Day one verification winds should be 9 knots... not 8. Anything to help me after my awful 13 knot forecast :P

Still waiting on Norman to update their winds.

As for the low, I really hoe PHX sneaked in 51 or it'll be another terrible low forecast for me. Really a frustrating city so far low-wise.

Day one verification winds should be 9 knots... not 8. Anything to help me after my awful 13 knot forecast :P

Well, you made up for it with last night's low forecast haha

Outlying areas got into the mid to upper 40's, so I think the issue was underestimating the affect of the UHI on my part. The high clouds at times didn't help. At this point I just want to claw back to consensus by the end of next week and hope I don't waste my drop on the first city of the spring.

74/55/11/0.04

Tricky forecast.

Clouds will move into PHX overnight that should keep the low warmer than last night, but how warm? I wanted to go 56, but I don't want to risk getting burned again so I stuck with happy medium between NAM and GFS MOS at 55. Maybe not smart, but I'm not confident on my lows either. The high is even more interesting with clouds, although it's quite obvious GFS MOS is out to lunch. We do have a rather large spread on the high, but I decided to play it safe at 74 between NAM and 12z USL (where are ya, 22z USL?) especially with clouds, but it could be even cooler. As rainstorm move into KPHX tomorrow night, there could be some precipitation so I went with average amount from all outputs I know to play it safe at 0.04. Finally, winds will pick up as we get to 6z tomorrow and I think we can get 11 knots out of this station before Day 3 is over like USL is suggesting.

78/54/14/0.02

Busted high on the temp today... if they could just mix a touch more tomorrow I think upper-70's are possible, although there will be more clouds too. I agree with some of the comments about the UHI for Phoenix and I might have been a little bit too cool on the low for tonight. Wind will also be tricky as its suppose to come with the arrival of the precip.

Went 76/57/15/0

Not a high confidence forecast due to clouds during the day potentially keeping the high in check (they'd hit 80 with full sun I'm sure) and also due to not having a clue on the first two lows. Went high on winds as low level winds appear to pick up nicely by evening. Precip will be close.

Archived