joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite whiffing the high and low pretty badly comparing to my competitors for Cat. 4 trophy, I'm still right there. If I get that 21 knots, I will be 2nd with 0.5 lead on 3rd and 1.0 behind first. Anything less will place me 3rd with 1.0-1.5 behind first depending on exact knot.

Tough forecast tomorrow to figure out because every points tomorrow count. 

I am eagerly awaiting the climo. I'm guessing they hit 73, winds will be interesting. Highest sustained was 17 knots but with no gusts, highest gusts was 15 knots gusting to 25. I'm guessing 19-21 knots will be the wind. I'll be in first either way, but if it's 73 with a 21 knot wind it'll only be by 1.5 points.

Edit: 72/47/20/0

I have 1.5 points to "play with"

I probably overthought that, but:

73/54/18/0

For the low, southerly winds should kick up around 6z as they've done most nights this week. Enough low level moisture for a deck of stratus appears to move in right around 6z too, and they may rise after 6z. But, they will really drop this evening for the next few hours, so the low again might end up a bit cooler before the clouds/winds stop the cooling, so I'm not extremely confident. Anyone who can catch me went 53-54 for the low, so that's not the big play. For the high, mixing doesn't look quite as high as today although they've mixed higher than expected every day this week. The airmass looks a couple of degrees warmer than today and they'll start warmer. There will be pretty dry air at the mid-levels through the afternoon, so I think if they can mix out the status during the morning that they can warm up about as much as they can...I might've gone a degree or two warmer if I expected more sun. There were a few people right behind me who went as low as 70, so the high is the key for me it appears. The chance for precip before 6z wasn't compelling enough for me to put any in, and most of the people behind me didn't put any, so I'm not worried about that. Winds I'm feeling decent about being within a knot of, and 17-19 knots was very common among the people behind me so I'm not worried about that either.

72/56/18/0

The only concerns I have for tomorrow are low and precip and I'm not too concerned about precip actually. The best chance for precip in west-central Texas looks to come after 6z tomorrow night in the early morning hours of Saturday once that 500 mb low treks near the southeastern NM area. I like the high to be within a dew degrees of my 72. They could pop higher due to everything OH mentioned before, but wasn't daring enough to push the mid 70's button. The low is the really tricky part. I can see the low doing exactly what happened last night with a lower temp in the low to mid 50's then popping up a few degrees around 6z. This city has been notorious for that so far, so I'm going to play out the trend. Looking to crack into the top 50 after one point being at 260 mid last week. Good luck guys

75/54/21/0

75 might be far-fetched, but someone had to do it, right? The southerlies look stronger than today so I had no problem going with a 20+ kt wind again as well. The low will definitely bounce up after 06Z, but I stuck with 54 anyway. Good luck to OHWeather, I hope your reasoning is correct.

After getting back to my room and looking at my competitors' forecasts, many of them went too cold on low (and maybe high). If I get 53-55 with 72+, I pretty much win KABI Cat. 4. There's lot of scenarios in which I finish 1st or 2nd for KABI so I'm very confident I'll get a trophy unless high, low, and winds ALL went lower than my forecast.

Good luck to all, especially OHweather!

EDIT: Okay, I'm not liking that 56 as of last obs.

75/54/21/0

75 might be far-fetched, but someone had to do it, right? The southerlies look stronger than today so I had no problem going with a 20+ kt wind again as well. The low will definitely bounce up after 06Z, but I stuck with 54 anyway. Good luck to OHWeather, I hope your reasoning is correct.

After getting back to my room and looking at my competitors' forecasts, many of them went too cold on low (and maybe high). If I get 53-55 with 72+, I pretty much win KABI Cat. 4. There's lot of scenarios in which I finish 1st or 2nd for KABI so I'm very confident I'll get a trophy unless high, low, and winds ALL went lower than my forecast.

Good luck to all, especially OHweather!

EDIT: Okay, I'm not liking that 56 as of last obs.

Thanks guys! I was sweating it until the temp jumped up to 56F, and still am. We'll see if it falls again as it doesn't look like low clouds have developed yet, although the dews did jump 5F this past hour, which seems to suggest they're not radiating particularly well at this time.

Thanks guys! I was sweating it until the temp jumped up to 56F, and still am. We'll see if it falls again as it doesn't look like low clouds have developed yet, although the dews did jump 5F this past hour, which seems to suggest they're not radiating particularly well at this time.

Yeah, I was getting nervous there because of possibility of 50-51 for 6z low before winds come in. If last night is of any indication, which is dropping 1-2 degrees at the least after the "jump", I like my chances for Cat. 4 overall trophy tomorrow since everybody but me went below 52. 53-55 is basically a sweet spot for me because someone went 56 with same high and winds as me. This mean he will pass me for first place no matter what with low of 56+, but I will still get trophy with second if that's the case.

Hopefully we get that high of 73+ to ensure our prizes :)

Archived