Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NC Mountains 2014 Fall Leaf Color Pictures of the Day

nchighcountrywx

Saturday October 11 2014

All photographs and commentary are courtesy of friends at the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation.

A deer ambles through the animal habitat at grandfather Mountain as if admiring the autumn splendor around her. . In the High Country, residents are beginning to take note of another color change that signals the presence of fall: the transition of the deer’s fur from tan to gray.

Grandfather Mountain continues its guided walk series, “The Colors of Grandfather,” at 1 p.m. today and Sunday. Staff naturalists will showcase the changing autumn colors and explain the science behind this annual spectacle. The program is included with regular park admission.

Photo by Skip Sickler

Q4Rtlu9.png

Sunday October 12 2014

All photographs and commentary are courtesy of friends at the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation.

A sugar maple shines in glorious gold and green outside the Old Hampton Store in Linville.

Because individual trees can vary in their leaf chemistry, sugar maples also can turn bright red or orange depending on their interaction with the environment. They’re also commonly used for production of maple syrup, as many connoisseurs consider them to have the most pleasing flavor of the maple varieties.

Photo by Skip Sicker

Q6FzSuM.png

Monday October 13 2014

All photographs and commentary are courtesy of friends at the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation

Water droplets collect along the stems of a burning bush (Euonymus alatus) at Grandfather Mountain. While the bush is considered invasive in some parts of the United States, it’s hard to deny its autumn allure as the dark green leaves turn to vivid red in fall. 

Despite rain in the forecast for the High Country during the early part of this week, the second half of the week offers more opportunities for long-range views. Until then, take a moment to look closer at the stars of the fall spectacle.

This week begins the final countdown to the Woolly Worm Festival in Banner Elk and the Valle Country Fair in Valle Crucis, two of North Carolina’s premier festivals of the fall season.

http://www.vallecountryfair.org/

Photo by Kellen Short

3E33srk.png

Tuesday October 14 2014

Up in the Clouds and rain greets visitors to the High Country today, but the autumn colors provide a cheery glow in moments when the veil lifts briefly.

The weather report for today is grim - 50+ mph sustained winds and rain comes at the worst of all possible times for the fall leaves and leaves at the higher elevations in non-protected areas are now mostly on the ground this afternoon with the forest becoming bare and ready for the first snow over the coming weeks. 

Because leaves are not fully developed at lower elevations below 3000 feet, fall colors may survive this round of storms in lower elevations.  For those still waiting to come to the mountains, check out places like Lake Lure, Chimney Rock and Table Rock State Parks, Linville Gorge and South Mountains which are all located at lower elevations.

While visitors and locals alike hope the storms will spare our autumn color for a couple more weeks, days like this remind us that trees are not just “lookers” but also workers. They help prevent soil erosion and act like sponges, filtering pollutants from the water. Fallen leaves also provide food and shelter for insects and provide nutrients essential for plant growth.

Photo by Skip Sickler

mpFm0F4.png

Took these on the Thomas Divide and Kanati Fork trails, and then the road down to Cherokee, on the North Carolina side of Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Hike was on Friday October 17th.

Looking through trees on the Thomas Divide hike:

post-2545-0-42756800-1413905081_thumb.jp

Low resolution panorama from road down to Cherokee:

post-2545-0-96983400-1413905090_thumb.jp

Happy leaf viewing!

• 2 weeks later...

Drove the Cherohala Skyway from NC to TN on Saturday, October 25. While I was correct that NC color was brilliant, based on the Smokies the week prior, we missed some excellent color on the TN side as clouds rolled in.

Hooper Cove pullout:

post-2545-0-35645300-1414676257_thumb.jp

Shute Cove pullout:

post-2545-0-39308000-1414676268_thumb.jp

Obadiah was also pretty, but above that it was past peak. Brushy Ridge, on the Tenn side, was also colorful, but clouds dampened photos.

This weekend I figure the best color is 2,000 FT or around that. Creeks, streams and waterfalls should be somewhat sheltered from the wind and weather coming in Friday night. We're not done yet. Still got a couple weeks at lower elevations, esp North Georgia. Enjoy!

I've always want to go to that location, but I need to wait for new heavy-duty camera first. Beautiful picture!

Thanks man! I don't think you even need a ticket. I had someone give me one but found this location was on the way out and that I could have driven there without having to go through the gate where they take tickets.

Thanks man! I don't think you even need a ticket. I had someone give me one but found this location was on the way out and that I could have driven there without having to go through the gate where they take tickets.

Hmm, I was wondering if it was possible to get there without ticket...

I looked on map, but couldn't figure out where gates were.

Hmm, I was wondering if it was possible to get there without ticket...

I looked on map, but couldn't figure out where gates were.

You have the main gate off Biltmore Ave. but I didn't need a ticket to get through there surprisingly.  Then the road forks about a half mile in.  To go into the house you have to take the fork left and go to the ticket office, but if you don't take the fork in the road and keep straight, it goes right "the swamp".  It is about another mile in but you don't have to go through another gate so I would assume you can get there without a ticket.  I could be wrong though, but it would be worth a try.

Archived