• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Season Snowfall Totals By DJFM NAO, AO/NAM, and PNA

Season snowfall totals and the DJFM mean NAO and AO/NAM states for 16 Midwest and Northeast cities. 

I used the DJFM NAO and AO/NAM states as defined by Dr. James Hurrell:

https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/hurrell-north-atlantic-oscillation-nao-index-station-based

https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/hurrell-wintertime-slp-based-northern-annular-mode-nam-index

First up, the overall statistics sorted by DJFM NAO values. I used median season snowfall totals for each city (1899-00 to 2013-14), to see if a season was "above normal" (AN), "below normal" (BN), or "around normal" (NM). HI in the chart is highest season total in each category, LO is the lowest, and AVG would be the average snowfall.

Thing to keep in mind in all of this, is that these are all statistically based values/results. What the actual hemispheric charts look like may vary from certain NAO and AO/NAM values...and thus differing outcomes in some seasons. So despite all of this...buyer beware. Still, I think it's kind of interesting to see it broke down statistically.

Columbus and Des Moines do better overall, in -NAO DJFM regimes. Green Bay is pretty much a toss up...and then you have Detroit, which does better overall in +NAO seasons. Matter of fact, it looks they are the opposite of every Midwest city in most categories.

Indianapolis and St. Louis have better seasons with a -NAO...but I was a little surprised how badly STL did in strong -NAO's (-3 or lower). Chicago and Minneapolis are a little more mixed.

Boston, Buffalo, and Burlington all seem to like a -NAO. Washington DC does too, as long as it's -2 or lower where 75% of the seasons are above the longterm median. A weak +NAO also sees DCA do well.

All four have better season snowfall totals, overall, in -NAO winters...PIT especially so. PWM isn't as "dependent"...but still does better in -NAO seasons, -1 or lower particularly. 

Individual season charts up next.

Overall charts for DJFM NAM (or Arctic Oscillation) and season snowfall totals.

CMH and DSM fare better in -AO/NAM states...DTW and GRB in +AO/NAM.

IND and STL, again do better in negative seasons. MSP and ORD all over the place. Odd one is STL does poorly in strong negatives, but good in strong positives. 

Overall, not a strong signal for these four. Except in certain categories. DCA is pretty "normal" for anything +0.5 or less, but +1.0 or greater and it's over.

NYC, PHL, and PIT better in an overall negative state...PWM has more variable success. 

Best example of making sure to look at the whole picture, despite numbers...2011-12 vs 2013-14. Both had similar DJFM NAM and NAO values, but obviously the season results were in stark contrast to each other.

2011-12 DJFM NH 500 mean

2013-14 DJFM NH 500 mean

Thanks for compiling all of these statistics.  Two comments:

Since there's quite a bit of correlation between the NAO and the AO (which makes sense when you think of the 500 mb patterns associated with these teleconnections), it's not surprising that most of the cities that do best with a -NAO also do best with a -AO.  If you have time, it would be great to see dual composites for 2 indices that are not as well correlated, such as NAO/PNA or AO/EPO. 

PNA:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.pna.monthly.b5001.current.ascii.table

EPO:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/epo.data

(this is actually the EP/NP, the inverse of which roughly translates to the EPO)

Second comment, which I'm sure you're already aware of: some of those seasons with above average snowfall but DJFM +NAO/+AO, especially for the northeast / mid-Atlantic, were positive overall for most of those 4 months, but featured a single month or less of -NAO/AO which brought 3/4 of the seasonal snowfall (often with a single storm or two).  A single storm in an otherwise crappy pattern can make or break a season, especially for cities that have low median snowfall. 

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Not sure if any of this means much, but it's sorta interesting to look at. 

And for icebreaker, here's the season snowfall totals with the PNA indices (CPC defined). I didn't do a DJFM mean, but listed them by monthly values. How I grouped them, regardless of "true" overall strength, was if 3 months had a -PNA value then it was put into one chart...and so on and so forth. Last chart is one that had months with two of each. 1949-50 not listed due to missing December value. All in all, usual caveats apply.

Midwest 1949-50 to 2013-14 median season snowfall:

Columbus, OH (CMH): 27.2"

Des Moines, IA (DSM): 32.8"

Detroit, MI (DTW): 42.8"

Green Bay, WI (GRB): 47.9"

Indianapolis, IN (IND): 24.8"

Minneapolis, MN (MSP): 50.7"

Chicago, IL (ORD): 39.2"

St. Louis, MO (STL): 18.2"

Season snowfall key:

Dark blue highlighted: top 10 highest season snowfall

Blue highlighted: above median season snowfall