joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would probably catch a lot of folks off-guard.

Depends if it stayed offshore and was a weak TS then no biggie, if it is a Cat 3 that grazes the OBX then yeah but at best I think we are looking at a weak TS type system. However the model Brad uses in house did get it further east than most globals thus it looked a lot better than what the Euro/Nam etc have which is nothing but a low right on the coast moving north from Florida.

If you read the main tropical thread you will see there is little to no chance of development and even if it does develop it may be a hybrid system.  A couple of very knowledgeable posters pretty much shot down the idea of an organized system for many reasons, all listed in the main thread.

If you read the main tropical thread you will see there is little to no chance of development and even if it does develop it may be a hybrid system.  A couple of very knowledgeable posters pretty much shot down the idea of an organized system for many reasons, all listed in the main thread.

I read it and agree with the overall threat being low, there is a rather loosely organized area of storms off the GA/FL coast that if they sustain could become more interesting and are far enough offshore to do something..

I read it and agree with the overall threat being low, there is a rather loosely organized area of storms off the GA/FL coast that if they sustain could become more interesting and are far enough offshore to do something..

wxmx and Kory really know their stuff.  When they start talking tropical I listen, it sounds like you do too.

This radar loop is what has my attention, I guess we will see, it most likely is nothing but it could also be the beginnings of a system off the immediate SE coast....

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=JAX

I'm really baffled at what you are looking at.  The NHC doesn't even classify this as a disturbance and didn't even give it a lemon at 0%.  This literally has no chance of development. 

I am ready for fall. Best season I think when it comes to comfortable weather in NC. Then we get to head into winter and start getting excited about the possible snow and ice.

I'm right there with you man. I'm sick of summer. I just hope next weekend's front is the real deal. This is the time of year i miss being further North.

Very little rain for upstate SC though. Also our cool down for next week is slowly being pulled back from.

Ho Hum.  I don't think I have ever seen you satisfied.  You live in the shadow of the mountains, downsloping isn't your friend and you are kind of in an area that doesn't see near the effects from the gulf (like the mountains) or the atlantic (like Ga coast, SC coast, & NC coast).  I would suggest moving if you want more precip.

Very little rain for upstate SC though. Also our cool down for next week is slowly being pulled back from.

You guys can have all the rain you want. I'm in the easley area and feel like I have had plenty of rain. I'm ready to dry out and get some crisp air in here. The big cool down next week has all but disappeared from our forecast, mid 80s and mid to upper 60s for lows with high humidigy isn't very helpful. And the mega front next weekend looks to stay west of mountains, like always. So no fall like weather in sight :( Darn it can be frustrating around here this time of year seeing everyone else see the first days of fall while our eternal summer continues!

Ok rant over, I feel a little better now.

Cold and clammy coming up for some of y'all

.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...

AS OF 130 PM SATURDAY...

RAINY...MUCH COOLER CONDITIONS ON THE WAY WITH A HYBRID CAD EVENT

EXPECTED MONDAY.

THE MAIN FRONT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME STATIONARY NEAR THE COAST

SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY. A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO

DEVELOP AND TRACK SLOWLY NE ALONG THE FRONT SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH

MONDAY NIGHT... REACHING THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST TUESDAY. THE GEFS

AND EC ENSEMBLE MEAN SOLUTIONS SEEM MOST REASONABLE AS THE

OPERATIONAL NAM/GFS CONTINUE TO BE SLOW OUTLIERS. AN ABRUPT CHANGE

FROM HOT/HUMID WEATHER OF THE PAST WEEK TO CLOUDY... MUCH COOLER...

AND RAINY CONDITIONS IS ANTICIPATED THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. AS THE

FRONT STALLS AND THE WEAK WAVE DEVELOPS OVER COASTAL SC... THEN

MOVES NE ALONG THE COASTAL AREA OF NC... THE COASTAL FRONT

ISENTROPIC LIFT OF THE WARM MOIST AIR UP AND OVER THE BOUNDARY IS

EXPECTED TO PRODUCE PERIODS OF SHOWERS THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT.

POP/QPF SHOULD BE HIGHEST IN THE EAST... BUT STILL LIKELY IN THE FAR

NW. A HYBRID DAMMING EVENT APPEARS LIKELY AS WELL IN OUR PIEDMONT

DAMMING REGION. HIGH PRESSURE (1022 MB OR SO) IS EXPECTED TO BUILD

EAST FROM THE GREAT LAKES INTO PA/MD SUNDAY NIGHT... THEN DOWN THE

EASTERN SEABOARD MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT. THE STRENGTH AND POSITION

OF THE HIGH ARE STRONGLY FAVORABLE LOW CLOUDS... MUCH COOLER

TEMPS... AND PERIODS OF RAIN/DRIZZLE IN THE PIEDMONT INTO MONDAY

NIGHT.

BOTTOM LINE... WE WILL UNDERCUT MOS HIGHS MONDAY WHICH MAY END UP

ONLY IN THE 60S IN THE PIEDMONT... AND RAISE POP TO LIKELY TO

CATEGORICAL. QPF OF 1-2 INCHES EAST AND BETWEEN 0.25 AND 0.50 CAN

BE EXPECTED FOR A STORM TOTAL WITH THE EVENT.

^ It's amazing how the best precipitation always knows how to stay along and east of the I-95 corridor, Pack.

That map is clearly wrong because it has Lake City Florida in the 0.01 inch zone and me in the 2 inch zone. Right now it is sunny and Lake City is still raining with totals upwards of 14 inches of rain.

The GFS Ensemble is showing a nice period of cooler temperatures starting next weekend (9-13) and lasting through the following week (9-15).

The GFS Ensemble actually keeps the cooler temperatures through the 10 day period from 9-12 through 9-22. All of this implies that the western ridge holds strong and the GFS is not overestimating its strength. If the ridge is weaker than modeled, then the temperatures will not be as cooled as modeled. If the ridge is stronger than modeled, then the temperature will be cooler than modeled. Many different factors can go into determining the ultimate strength of the western ridge, but it really depends on how strong the low pressure near Alaska is.

Regardless, I am looking forward to some cooler air here in the southeast. It's about time for the first good cool air mass to build in.

Just a little interesting note: The 540 line comes down into the Great Lakes area on the GFS this weekend. Just a few more months until the 540 line begins making its way into the southeast (hopefully)!

09072014cooltemps.png

Flash Flood Watch up:

post-987-0-78095200-1410184954_thumb.jpg

Flash Flood Watch
FLOOD WATCHNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC949 AM EDT MON SEP 8 2014...FLASH FLOODING POSSIBLE TODAY INTO TONIGHT....DEEP TROPICAL MOISTURE IN PLACE OVER THE REGION WILL ENHANCE THEPOTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING AS A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKSSLOWLY NORTHEAST THROUGH CENTRAL AND EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA THISAFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT.NCZ007>011-024>028-040>043-075>078-084>086-088-089-091200-/O.NEW.KRAH.FF.A.0004.140908T1400Z-140909T1200Z//00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-CHATHAM-WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-WAYNE-RICHMOND-SCOTLAND-HOKE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...BUTNER...CREEDMOOR...HENDERSON...NORLINA...WARRENTON...ROANOKE RAPIDS...CHAPEL HILL...CARRBORO...DURHAM...LOUISBURG...FRANKLINTON...NASHVILLE...RED OAK...SHARPSBURG...SPRING HOPE...ROCKY MOUNT...SILER CITY...PITTSBORO...RALEIGH...CARY...SMITHFIELD...CLAYTON...SELMA...BENSON...WILSON...SOUTHERN PINES...PINEHURST...ABERDEEN...SEVEN LAKES...SANFORD...DUNN...ERWIN...ANGIER...LILLINGTON...GOLDSBORO...ROCKINGHAM...HAMLET...EAST ROCKINGHAM...LAURINBURG...RAEFORD...ROCKFISH...SILVER CITY...FAYETTEVILLE...CLINTON949 AM EDT MON SEP 8 2014...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR MUCH OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...  INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...CHATHAM...CUMBERLAND...  DURHAM...EDGECOMBE...FRANKLIN...GRANVILLE...HALIFAX...  HARNETT...HOKE...JOHNSTON...LEE...MOORE...NASH...ORANGE...  PERSON...RICHMOND...SAMPSON...SCOTLAND...VANCE...WAKE...  WARREN...WAYNE AND WILSON.* THROUGH 8 AM TUESDAY MORNING* DEEP TROPICAL MOISTURE IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION WILL RESULT  IN AN ENHANCED POTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING TODAY INTO TONIGHT  AS A SLOW MOVING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS NORTHEAST THROUGH  CENTRAL AND EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS AREFAVORABLE FOR FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A DANGEROUS ANDPOTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. RESIDENTS OF CENTRALNORTH CAROLINA SHOULD MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND BEPREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.$$VINCENT

The 6z GFS takes our cool weekend away.and leaves us warm to hot both days and very humid too. Summer rolls on.

The setup(on 6z) does look warmer and more wet. But, I bet as we get closer the models start showing more of a CAD setting up. The cool air is not far off to the west and north and this kind of setup has provided CADs for the last few months (or can I say the last year).

Edit: Last night GFS shows the CAD:

http://www.aos.wisc.edu/weatherdata/avn/avn_crhlia_h96.gif

Archived